Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on September 14, 2014, 01:11:27 PM
Todd reviews new T-Swift.

I do like Taylor Swift and respect her more than most artists on the radio these days. She has a good voice, her music is distinguishable, and she writes her own music which is a big plus to me. Not to mention, you know an artist is doing something right when nearly every teenage girl listens to her songs and says "This song was made for me!". That being said, her new song that's currently on the radio does nothing for me. Musically, it just feels so generic and dumbed down, a common thing with music nowadays that's just so tiring.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, I don't really get Doug's gripe with "Boiling Rock" part one. I thought the rest of the list was pretty spot-on, though, although I would have also put "Avatar Day" somewhere in there.

Next week should be a lot of fun, especially considering who's going to be guest starring in it.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 16, 2014, 12:09:10 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on September 14, 2014, 01:11:27 PM
Todd reviews new T-Swift.

I do like Taylor Swift and respect her more than most artists on the radio these days. She has a good voice, her music is distinguishable, and she writes her own music which is a big plus to me. Not to mention, you know an artist is doing something right when nearly every teenage girl listens to her songs and says "This song was made for me!". That being said, her new song that's currently on the radio does nothing for me. Musically, it just feels so generic and dumbed down, a common thing with music nowadays that's just so tiring.
Todd's review for "Shake It Off" is just SO good. I'm not really a fan of Taylor Swift's music, although I do agree that a lot of her biggest criticisms are bs. But I outright hated this song the moment I heard it, and Todd just rolled with it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

In general I'm just tired of radio music feeling so dumbed down. That Avicii song that was released within the last year, Wake Me Up, is obnoxious in its "let's manufacture this song to be played on a dance floor", and the less said about Ellie Goulding the better. Taylor Swift is a talented artist so it's kind of a shame that her latest song is so bad.

People can complain about Lorde all they want. But at least she's just doing what she wants to do and isn't catering to anything. You don't have to like her music, but you have to admit it's honest and expressive of herself. She's a complete breath of fresh air as far as I'm concerned.

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

Part two of Oancitizen's "La Belle et la Bete" review.

I didn't think this was going to be a three parter, but I've been enjoying everything he and the Jerk have been going into. I think this is easily one of his best reviews yet.

Avaitor

Todd just put out ANOTHER pop review. And it's another song that I can't stand!

But seriously, after my truck died and we got a great replacement car, we found one little flaw with the new car- it's 20 years old, and its stereo definitely is as well. No CD player and a shit iTunes jack! So for the past two weeks, since I can't drive without some music as company, I've had to stick to the radio, and since we only have 1 rock station and 1 oldies over here, I had to deal with a lot of top 40. So I've noticed as Taylor Swift and Megan Trainer held the top songs in the nation, as they became basically the only songs I'd end up hearing on the road. No fun.

I'm actually getting a new system installed in tomorrow, and after this, I'm done with the radio for a long ass time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

The Nostalgia Critic's Top 11 Avatar episodes list is now up!

Overall a pretty solid list. The only one I'm skeptical about is "The Ember Island Players," but he justified the choice well enough. I also really enjoyed the bits with Dante Basco as well, though it might have been nice if they talked about all the episodes together besides just the #1 pick.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That was a fun video. I think that Avaitor will really appreciate that reference at the end. :D

I actually agree with most of this list, although I'd probably replace 1 or 2 choices, and reorganize the list in a different order, but I do think that all of these are legitimately great episodes.

Daikun

This isn't an official TGWTG video, but...

Mr. Plinkett "Responds" to Nostalgia Critic

This is a pretty masterful edit of NC's Top 11 list with rebuttals from Plinkett's Star Wars reviews.

talonmalon333

I like seeing Plinkett "respond" to Doug's top 2 choices. Ever since I saw that NC video, I couldn't understand why he put the opera house scene and the worlds as the top two choices. The worlds were all just hollow looking CGI, and Palpatine's "legend" that Doug speaks so highly of was most likely just a lie.

Daikun

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 28, 2014, 07:15:09 PMPalpatine's "legend" that Doug speaks so highly of was most likely just a lie.

That's kind of a hazy one, actually.

Sometime after Episode III was released, there was a Star Wars novel called Darth Plagueis, which chronicled his legend. (Also, he was killed by Palpatine.)

Then Disney bought Lucasfilm years later and dissolved the Expanded Universe from canon, so... :??: Take of that what you will.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Daikun on September 28, 2014, 08:40:33 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 28, 2014, 07:15:09 PMPalpatine's "legend" that Doug speaks so highly of was most likely just a lie.

That's kind of a hazy one, actually.

Sometime after Episode III was released, there was a Star Wars novel called Darth Plagueis, which chronicled his legend. (Also, he was killed by Palpatine.)

Then Disney bought Lucasfilm years later and dissolved the Expanded Universe from canon, so... :??: Take of that what you will.

Was any of that ever canon, though? I feel like I remember Lucas himself saying that, in his mind, the story ends with Return of the Jedi (this was before Disney bought Lucasfilm).

Dr. Insomniac

You act as if George Lucas' word should be listened to.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 30, 2014, 03:40:09 PM
You act as if George Lucas' word should be listened to.

No, but I do recognize that fan fiction can be even worse than George Lucas could ever be. :P