Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

With Matrix Month over, Doug takes a look at a controversial ending to a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nc-did-tom-and-jerry-kill-themselves-7156933

Commode

Pretty sure Blue Cat Blues isn't banned from TV, don't know about recent airings but I've definitely seen it before on Cartoon Network and Boomerang(also note these are the only two networks that show Tom and Jerry anymore).  Don't think any of the T&J's are officially banned by either network(unlike many Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts), although certain cartoons like His Mouse Friday and Mouse Cleaning rarely, if ever, are shown.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

LumRanmaYasha

Ah, "Blue Cat Blues." I haven't seen that short in forever, but it's one of the T&J shorts I have a really strong memory of because I used to see it frequently as a kid. I've never heard of this theory before, though.

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

Looks like the end is nigh. The bubble had to burst sometime.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The sad thing is that this seems to be affecting The DVD Shelf Movie Reviews as well. :whuh:

Peanutbutter

They might survive if they go back to using YouTube primarily through extensively promoting the League of Super Critics channel, or more likely find a different video site that won't screw them over. This mess with Blip and CA reminds me of when WWE backed Tout instead of Vine when they tried to expand their social media output. Another case of backing the wrong horse. I always felt Blip was a crappy service for them to use.

Avaitor

New Todd.

It really picks up after a so-so start. Todd is so dead-on with this song.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

How did I know it was gonna be that song?
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Peanutbutter

Here's Doug's first non-Matrix review (since last week's was an editorial). It's Mamma Mia!.

http://channelawesome.com/mamma-mia-nostalgia-critic/

Silverstar

I know I'm late to the party, but lately I've been getting into SomeJerkWithACamera now that he's joined CA. Tony Goldmark is awesome! He's a funny dude and his subject matter is like a breath of fresh air among the other CA reviewers. I applaud him just for not being the umptee-seventh movie reviewer on the internet. Don't get me wrong, some online movie critics do a great job (they all do it 20 times times better than I ever could, but I'm not a movie buff, so...) but movie reviewers are a dime a dozen on the internet. How many people are reviewing theme parks? It helps that Tony knows his facts and is funny as shit. He's easily the best new addition to Channel Awesome, IMPO.

I kind of like iRawss (The Good Hook, Comedism) and Shark Jumping with Tim & Beth; I've only seen 1 of Calluna's vids so far, but I thought it was pretty good. I tried giving The Yomarz Show a chance, but he just doesn't do it for me; he's clearly trying to mimic the likes of JonTron and Peanut Butter Gamer without being nearly as funny as they are. There's more to doing a decent game review, even a comedic one, than just picking on obviously shitty game and saying "This game is shitty!". Il Niege is OK, but he's yet another movie critic. he's at least kind of funny.

The rest of the influx of CA's new contributors I just haven't bothered with; not out of spite or dissing, just that there's far too many of them for me to get into, and a lot of them tend to blur together to me. TBH, I've kind of soured on CA a bit since what went down with Phelous and Obscurus Lupa; now both of them as well as Andrew Dickman are off the site and on Phelous.com now. Sucks, since they were always 2 of the funniest contributors to the site, but the higher-ups treated them like crap when they were there, so I don't blame them for leaving (in Allison's case, she was let go). The Nostalgia Critic is hit-or-miss nowadays; he can be very funny at times, but lately he's gotten kind of full of himself, he's trying to be way too analytical rather than funny and he tends to stretch his sketches and stories out for way too long.

Nowadays I go to CA for Linkara, Brad, SomeJerk, IRawss, Mike J, Shark Jumping, Todd, Rap Critic, CR! (when he does something; his output has become really sporadic lately) and NC. I think CA tried to get way too big way too soon, and now they're starting to buckle under their own weight. It was better when it was just a small circle of friends making entertaining videos about their favorite subjects and occasionally crossing over into each others' videos. Nowadays CA seems more like a YouTube kind of deal.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I don't mind the sketches, myself, I do agree that Doug has gotten way too over-analytical with his reviews. It often ends up killing any humor that his jokes would have otherwise had going for them.

Silverstar

The sketches and stories Doug incorporates into his reviews are fine, when they stay on point and aren't dragged out for too long. As you say, when he drags them out for so long and tries to get super-deep and analytical with them, that's when they become a hindrance to my enjoyment of his videos. I'm not big on the analysis, so a lot of the NC Editorials are hard for me to sit through; thankfully they're short. It's like with Linkara; his reviews, commentary and jokes are great, but  I just can't get into the stories he sticks on to his reviews. They're too long and irrelevant to the reviews. Same deal with The Blockbuster Buster. Of course it's worth mentioning that I'm generally not a big fan of narrative, especially ongoing narrative, in these internet videos to start with.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

LumRanmaYasha

Some Jerk is great! I really wish he would put out some new episodes soon (he's only been uploading his backlog episodes onto CA so far). 

The only CA reviewers who I regularly check out these days (as in, always watch the new episode) are the NC, Todd, and Linkara.  Everyone else I tend to leave for a while and then watch a bunch of their videos all at once some point later on.

talonmalon333

I only ever (somewhat) kept up with the Nostalgia Critic, the Nostalgia Chick, and Phelous (Lupa is fine as well, but I didn't follow her as much). Now, two of them are off the site, and I don't really keep up with the other much anymore. So basically, I don't follow this site now.