E3 2017

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 08, 2017, 08:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

2v2 or 3v3, I don't care as long as the game is fun. DBFZ looks fun. MvCI does not. Simple as.

Quote from: Foggle on June 12, 2017, 09:53:43 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 12, 2017, 09:33:57 PMUbi had a CG trailer save them
Apparently Beyond Good & Evil 2 is going to be a multiplayer GTA-style sandbox prequel. Keep in mind that the original was a genre-mixing linear single-player action-adventure title that ended on a cliffhanger. :butbut:
I thought I was the only one who did a double take when that was brought up. I'm glad this game is finally coming out, but if they bland it up like every other game this year they'll kill the series for good.

Still, as far as announcements go, at least it was something different to end the show on.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Wut. I assumed multiplayer was a side feature for BG&E2. Like Mass Effect 3 or....GTA. Oh God. Anyway, I hope that's not true. While I do think BG&E1 is massively overrated due to the combat being kind of stale and the platforming being basic OOT stuff i.e. no jump button, it had/has a lot of potential and Michel Ancel is still a good developer.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 12, 2017, 09:57:51 PM
I thought I was the only one who did a double take when that was brought up. I'm glad this game is finally coming out, but if they bland it up like every other game this year they'll kill the series for good.

Still, as far as announcements go, at least it was something different to end the show on.
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 12, 2017, 10:01:43 PM
Wut. I assumed multiplayer was a side feature for BG&E2. Like Mass Effect 3 or....GTA. Oh God. Anyway, I hope that's not true. While I do think BG&E1 is massively overrated due to the combat being kind of stale and the platforming being basic OOT stuff i.e. no jump button, it had/has a lot of potential and Michel Ancel is still a good developer.
The trailer was really fun (though it was weird hearing them say "fuck" constantly) so I have hope for the tone and storytelling at least. And yeah, Ancel's an excellent game designer, so even if it isn't what fans want, it'll probably still end up being enjoyable.

gunswordfist

Good point, I'll probably play it anyway!  :D Rayman was my first PS1 game. :'(

Mustang

Yeah, I think I'm passing on Marvel vs Capcom. No X-Men. Alright fine, I could live with them being DLC. I was not expecting Black Panther to be DLC. The times we are in right now just makes me a tad bit salty. We're talking DLC and the game's not even out. There's no harm in delaying the game if it means getting closer to completion. I'm also not feeling the roster at all. I probably set myself up for disappointment though.

Now these graphics. I would say that anyone that's a part of the FGC that tell you that graphics don't matter to them, I'll tell you they are lying. Ken's face is constantly bitched about (of all things, his face). There's already bitching about Chun Li (and she does look hideous). I almost thought the Dante we got was from DmC instead of DMC3. KoF14 got a lot of flack for looking like a ps2 game, but they're constantly trying to fix that (with what little team they got left).

But damn. That Black Panther DLC BS got me salty as hell.

The rest of the conference was meh. I just didn't have any expectations. Once Shenmue 3 and FF7 Remake were announced, if it's not Kojima making another Metal Gear game or a samurai IP, there's nothing left that can be done to wow me. DBFZ caught me by surprise though.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Spark Of Spirit

Xenoblade 2 is still out this holiday season.
New Kirby Switch game is out next year. Helpers are back! Finally!
Next mainline Pokemon game is confirmed for the Switch.
Metroid Prime 4 is in development for Switch.
New Yoshi game by the Woolly World guys is also in development for the Switch.
Fire Emblem Warriors is out this Fall.
Second Zelda DLC pack is out this Holiday. The Four Champions will have amiibo as well.
Rocket League is coming to the Switch this Holiday with cross-network support, exclusive items, and local multiplayer.
Super Mario Odyssey comes out this October, and it looks amazing.

Pretty solid Direct overall. Not amazing, but pretty solid. It was the only conference that didn't utterly bore me, anyway.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

And a new 2D Metroid was just revealed for the 3DS.

WHAT.

EDIT: Zero Mission style remake of Metroid 2. Add this with the fact that Prime 4 is rumored to be developed by Kyoto instead of Retro, and I'm excited.

Foggle

Mario Odyssey looks awesome and the new Metroid, Kirby, and Yoshi games should be great. Could not give less of a fuck about anything related to Xenoblade, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, or Dynasty Warriors, but this would probably be the best E3 "conference" for me if I actually owned a Switch. I wonder where Retro's new game is, though.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 13, 2017, 12:08:53 PM

WHAT.

EDIT: Zero Mission style remake of Metroid 2.
It's made by the guys behind the garbage Lords of Shadow Castlevania games and almost certainly won't be as good as AM2R. Why didn't they just buy the rights to the fan game off its developer? It would have been way better and cheaper. Oh well.

Spark Of Spirit

They're showing the game off right now. It looks fun. Looks more like Metroid than LoS. Since Sakamoto is directing it, I'm guessing MercurySteam is just doing the grunt work.

I'm surprised we didn't see Retro's game. It's nearly finished, so I'm thinking it might be their 2018 holiday title. With Zelda and Mario this year, they're going to need a big one for next year.

Edit: Confirmed that Retro isn't making Prime 4. So glad they aren't tethered to that series anymore. But it's still odd that Retro's game hasn't been revealed yet. It was almost shown at last E3, so where is it?

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on June 13, 2017, 12:32:13 PM
Mario Odyssey looks awesome and the new Metroid, Kirby, and Yoshi games should be great. Could not give less of a fuck about anything related to Xenoblade, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, or Dynasty Warriors, but this would probably be the best E3 "conference" for me if I actually owned a Switch. I wonder where Retro's new game is, though.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 13, 2017, 12:08:53 PM

WHAT.

EDIT: Zero Mission style remake of Metroid 2.
It's made by the guys behind the garbage Lords of Shadow Castlevania games and almost certainly won't be as good as AM2R. Why didn't they just buy the rights to the fan game off its developer? It would have been way better and cheaper. Oh well.
*sighs* I came here to voice my concern. AM2R is my favorite Metroid (which has a lot to do with it being the only Metroid I have ever beaten but still). Not to mention that it has the best controls and abilities, namely controls destroy anything NES, SNES or GBA is capable of with the franchise. Anyway, I hope it's good and I hope we can play all the announced games without motion controls. If so, I might get a Switch next year.

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And, as usual, TGBS sums up everyone's thoughts on E3 this year in a nutshell: https://youtu.be/Ks-E6ddOymU

Best part of the video: "Oh hey look, there's Dante....and there he goes...."

It's also very telling that even TGBS, who clearly doesn't like Dragon Ball, flat out says that DBFZ looks fun as hell. That's how you can tell that it isn't just fan hype and that people who simply like good games can tell how amazing this game looks. Easily my game of the show, and while that's not saying much given what little value we got here, suffice it to say that this would be a top five for me even on a good year.

Spark Of Spirit

Is it weird that I'm more excited by the fact that Retro isn't making Prime 4 than I am for Prime 4 itself? Finally no whining when their next game is revealed.

As for my top 5 new games of the show, I already know:

1. Kirby
2. Dragon Ball Fighter Z
3. Mario + Rabbids
4. Wolfenstein II
5. Yoshi

There was some other good stuff, but not a whole lot that really wowed me this year, and I didn't expect much would going in. E3 just isn't what it used to be.

gunswordfist

It sure isn't. *sighs* When's Platinum's next game?

Foggle

I thought the previous two E3s were pretty good, especially 2015's. This one was awful, though. I guess my top 5 reveals were:

1. Wolfenstein
2. Evil Within
3. Metroid
4. Yoshi
5. Metro

It's too bad I simply can't enjoy/become good at fighting games or I'm sure I'd be pumped for DBFZ.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 15, 2017, 08:26:33 PM
Is it weird that I'm more excited by the fact that Retro isn't making Prime 4 than I am for Prime 4 itself? Finally no whining when their next game is revealed.
I'm happy too. The whining when Tropical Freeze was revealed was insufferable.