What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

I still need to rewatch GTO sometime. What with my unfinished article and all...  :humhumhum:

I'll probably check out the Shonan Junai Gumi one of these days.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 10, 2014, 09:34:57 AM
Eikichi Onizuka, Guillmon, Spike Spiegel, Makoto Shishio, and Jamie = Steve Blum's top 5 roles

I also liked him as the Green Goblin from TSSM and Red Skull from AEMH, and he did a decent Wolverine as well.
I can't remember if I knew he was Red Skull. My favorite 5 roles of his are Spike, Mugen, Shin, Agito and Jamie. Probably in that order, once I think about it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on May 10, 2014, 12:29:05 PM
I still need to rewatch GTO sometime. What with my unfinished article and all...  :humhumhum:

Article?   :o

Anyway, my favorite Blum roles are:

1. Eikichi Onizuka
2. Roger Smith
3. Shishio Makoto
4. Spike Spiegel
5. Starscream

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Got done through episode 27 of GTO today, which means I watched a good 16 episodes in total. I  wasn't expecting the series, short as it is, to have anime-only episodes. I didn't really care for the curses episode or the second episode of the Nao Kadena story (why did they change who the school nurse is in the anime anyway?). I also don't remember if the episodes where Asuza goes to Hakuba were in the manga or not, because I remember the parts where her female students were picking on her and boycotted her class and she ran away and stuff, but the parts with her former student I didn't, so either I skimmed that part when I first read it or that was added on in the anime. Anyway, the first half of this two-parter about Tomoko's idol career was pretty enjoyable, so I look forward to watching the second episode of that tomorrow, and then after that I assume comes that whole missing school trip money arc, which was probably my least favorite part of the manga, so I'll see if the anime's version makes me like it better. I'm really enjoying the show a lot though, I think more than I did this same stuff in the manga. I think the main reason why is the dub. It can be so awkward and definitely reuses a limited voice pool, but every performance is memorable to me and the deliveries (especially Blum's as Onizuka) make the material even funnier than in the manga. And of course, I just like hearing some of my favorite voice actors in so many roles. I still get a kick of hearing Beauty's voice as Tomoko, as I haven't heard Philece Sampler in too many other roles (I know she was Misao too, but her performance as Beauty was much more memorable to me, grating as it could be in the second half of the show). I didn't realize at first Tony Oliver was Murai until I looked it up, but he uses his Lupin voice as Tomoko's manager so I got a kick out of that as well. Michelle Ruff's Urumi is great too, and fits the kind of voice I imagined her having when I was reading the manga. And of course, Kirk Thorton is everywhere in this dub and the Don Patch fan in me is loving every second of that.  :D

Anyway, I'm definitely going to try to polish the show off tomorrow since I only have two and a half discs left. I want to return them to the library as soon as possible since I have all of the Slam Dunk manga on hold, and the max limit for checkouts is 30 items.  :sweat:

Dr. Insomniac

I'm watching a harem show where one of the girls is a quadriplegic in a maid outfit. Did I mention this is by the author of Elfen Lied?

LumRanmaYasha

Last disc to go! I'll watch it later tonight. While I didn't enjoy the lost field trip money part of the story in the manga, mainly because it felt like it was dragging and I was getting a bit tired with the series, I found it really good stuff seeing it again in the anime. That anime-only episode about Tomoko and Saejima was kinda dumb, though, and the following two episodes fell a bit flat to me though I remember enjoying those chapters in the manga. Anyway, the Okinawa arc was where I started getting into the series again in the manga so I'm sure I'll enjoy it plenty in the anime. I'm curious as to how they end the anime since it has to be much different than the manga's considering the only adapted half of it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The field trip arc was OK. The arc with the teachers competing in the points system was fucking stupid. Easily tge worst arc of the manga.

LumRanmaYasha

I liked the Okinawa arc. It was the part of the story where Onizuka lost the money for the field trip that I didn't originally like when I was reading the manga. I'll agree that the dumbest written part of the series was the points system arc, but that part of the story was where I almost started to lose interest.

Dr. Insomniac

This show I'm blogging is literally preaching how anti-discrimination groups only exist because the followers are stupid enough to think equality can happen.

LumRanmaYasha

Geez. The more I read your blog posts on Mahouka and hear stuff about it the more I'm tempted to watch it to see how asinine it is for myself.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 11, 2014, 05:15:09 PM
Geez. The more I read your blog posts on Mahouka and hear stuff about it the more I'm tempted to watch it to see how asinine it is for myself.
Yeah, it's tripe. What boggles me is how much padding the show has, but then I read up on the source material, and it turns out they already remove most of the padding from the book for the adaptation. And these novels are supposed to be best-sellers in Japan.

LumRanmaYasha

Welp, finished with GTO. I have to say that the Okinawa arc was probably one of my favorite parts of the manga, and the anime's version is just as good to me, and probably some of my favorite episodes in the series overall. The final two episodes surprised me a bit, but I felt the ending was a bit weak, though at least the situation was much better than the whole points system arc in the manga. Miyabi's reason for hating teachers was certainly much darker than in the manga, but I easily prefer the manga's version, and the manga's ending. It was funny to see Onizuka move to America to teach at a school there, though, I'll give it that. The GTO anime certainly was a great experience overall, and I'm glad I was finally able to finish it. Now, the next dubbed anime I watch will probably be Beck or Gankutsuou. I just bought the dvds for those two, so I might as well finally watch them.

Avaitor

Okay, so CrunchyRoll has the first 6 episodes of Jojo up right now, but I think I need to remember my old account's password to watch the sixth.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

They have the first 26. Scroll down and click the other tab.