What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

I said I never wanted to watch Cross Ange again.

...some people won't let me.  :pedro_nooo:

Lord Dalek

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-

LumRanmaYasha

Why is no one streaming an anime made by fucking Studio Ghibli? You'd think somebody would jump right on that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I was originally going to review this for the Clusterfuck, but nobody has even bothered to sub it yet. I just find that kind of odd.

Lord Dalek

Since a dub was already announced, I suspect the accursed N is behind it.

Il Juude

I finally caught up with Akame ga Kill. Gonna do the same with Sabagebu and Terror in Resonance hopefully from last season.

This season definitely going through Build Fighters TRY, Reconguista in G, and of course Cross Ange.

This is a pilot post for my wonderful signature.

Lord Dalek

We watched kids anime tonight...

World Trigger Episode 2: meh show is meh. Still not getting the hate.

Mysterious Joker Episode 2: Absolutely godawful mashup of Lupin and Time Bokan. Looks even cheaper than a show from the 70s

Magic Kaitou 1412 Episode 2: Great animation, horrible character designs, story is done to death.

Tribe Cool Crew: ...still regrettably Sunrise's best show of the season that I've watched (still haven't gotten to BoyFriends Try). Otherwise shit.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Eh, I disagree. Mysterious Joker is a pretty fun kids show. I mean it's kind of foolish to go in expecting Lupin quality entertainment when that was never meant for kids to begin with. For its intended audience, though, Joker is fine. You guys will just overly criticize anything because you have nothing better to do. :bleh:

LumRanmaYasha

I'd say pretty much every anime adaption of Lupin besides The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and a few other exceptions were intended as family entertainment. The fact that it's technically seinin is about as meaningful as the fact that other long-popular mainstream series like Shin Chan or Oishinbo are seinin. It's a family friendly franchise, overall.

Foggle

The first half or so of Lupin III Part 1, Fujiko Mine, and some of the films/specials are aimed at adults, but in terms of anime, yeah, it's considered a family series overall.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, but it's still not intended for as young of an audience as Joker is, which is my point. The content itself is family oriented, but most modern little kids wouldn't appreciate the more sophisticated sense of humor and characters from a series like Lupin, until you get to at least the 12+ age range, and even then, I'm not sure if modern day Japanese kids and teens are really that into the series. As for Joker, that's clearly a series aimed at the younger spectrum of kids as it is. I'm talking like 6-10 year olds, here. For that target audience, it's a harmless fun show.

To make my point clearer, take American cartoons. The Simpsons is a "family show," but has humor that adults will appreciate. Of course, with a TVPG rating, technically it's still appropriate for kids in some capacity, but you don't see people comparing Nick Jr. cartoons to it. That's just silly, and begs the question: what were you expecting?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 14, 2014, 12:33:05 AMThe first half or so of Lupin III Part 1, Fujiko Mine, and some of the films/specials are aimed at adults, but in terms of anime, yeah, it's considered a family series overall.

You also forgot to mention the original manga. :humhumhum:

LumRanmaYasha

That's why he said, "in terms of anime."   :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Foggle

The manga (and Part 2's English dub, for that matter) don't apply to what I wrote. :P

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 14, 2014, 12:42:54 AM
To make my point clearer, take American cartoons. The Simpsons is a "family show," but has humor that adults will appreciate. Of course, with a TVPG rating, technically it's still appropriate for kids in some capacity, but you don't see people comparing Nick Jr. cartoons to it. That's just silly, and begs the question: what were you expecting?
I can't say for Dalek, but I think I was expecting less Nick Jr., more straight up Nickelodeon.