What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I got up to episode 18 a little bit past midnight. I did not expect Cyborg Stroheim to show up that fast. Let's see what Guile can do.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

So, I realized that, for the first time ever, I'm legit keeping up with 10+ anime this season. This got me to thinking I should do a weekly anime recap just like how I always do my weekly manga recap for all the manga I'm reading, since I'm watching enough shows for it to make sense. It would also help get me motivated to stick with watching all the shows on time, since oftentimes I neglect to watch an anime for a week and suddenly I fall so far behind I end up dropping it, so this could help me avoid that. So, starting from next week, I'm going to try and do that. Not this week, though, since I'm too busy this weekend to spend time writing one on top of my usual manga recap (which takes surprisingly long oftentimes). I will, however, post my customary rankings of what I watched this week (all episode #2's):

Rankings:

1. Parasyte -the maxim- - 9/10
2. Rage of Bahamut: Genesis - 9/10
3. Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works - 9/10
4. Amagi Brilliant Park - 8/10
5. Psycho-Pass 2 - 8/10
6. Garo the Animation - 8/10
7. Shirobako - 8/10
8. Gundam Build Fighters Try - 8/10
9. Magic Kaito 1412 - 7/10
10. The Seven Deadly Sins - 5/10

Overall, while not too many stand-out episodes, it was a pretty good week with a lot of solid ones regardless. There was only one really meh episode, but I already knew Sins will stay that way until Ban shows up, so that doesn't bother me. I really think this is a good crop of shows, and I'm looking forward to each of their next episodes quite a bit, so hopefully next week will have some really great stuff (I've already watched the newest Amagi, and I continue to like the show more and more each week). On another note, I also want to check out Ronja as well, so I'll get to that later this weekend.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still need to check out Ronja, myself, since it finally got subbed. As for me, I'm only following 4 anime for the time being:

1. Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
2. Parasyte -the maxim-
3. Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
4. Amagi Brilliant Park

gunswordfist

So fate/stay night on Crunchyroll is the new show and not the old one?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, it's the new one.

Also, since CX brought it up, I suppose I'll update my thoughts on each new episode of each series that I'm following every week, since I'm only following 4 of them, anyways:

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis (Episode 2)- Just as much fun as the premiere, and helps to develop the plot in an interesting way. I just like how much fun this show is. With much darker shows like Fate and Parasyte, it is refreshing to have at least one genuinely more light-hearted adventure epic to follow this season.

Parasyte -the maxim- (Episode 2)- I'm really enjoying the "alliance" and interactions between Shinichi and Migi. I also like how this situation brought up the possibility that Migi could betray Shinichi at the drop of the hat, prioritizing his life over his host, if it turns out that it's true that he can move to a more beneficial hose and leave his current one without dying. However for now, he's prioritize Shinichi's life since he'll die if Shinichi does, but at the same time, he warns Shinichi not to try anything that could compromise his existence or he could still make his life a living hell without actually killing him.

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (Episode 1)- not much to say about this episode as I already wrote a piece on it that never ended up getting used, but overall, it's just as strong as the prologue and gets me pumped for what's to come.

Amagi Brilliant Park (Episode 3)- This show is still just decent, but nothing great. I do like how Seiya is finally on board and trying to help out by increasing the park's business with incredibly risky maneuvers, and some of the humor between him and Moffle actually works. That said, Latifa is still a pretty flat and uninteresting character, whereas Isuzu feels like a much less funny female counterpart version of Sousuke from FMP (particularly of his persona in Fumoffu). Part of what made his ultra serious militaristic tone funny was that he was legitimately trying to understand the nature of normal people and just failed miserably at comprehending it and fitting in, and he ended up getting punished for his incompetence in this regard in hilarious ways. Isuzu seems to have that same sort of nature to her, but nothing is really done with her character beyond being quirky, so it's just not as interesting to me. Overall, the show is amusing enough for me to keep watching it, at least, but I'm definitely jot as big of a fan of it as everyone else seems to be. Seiya and Moffle are really the only two characters that make it worthwhile to me, so far.

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

Hmm, CR has Parasyte too. I have some watchin' to do, Lucy.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just FYI, you don't need to have watched the old one at all to watch this one. The old one was actually pretty bad, as it is, and from what I understand, even fans of the source material don't care for it. It also adapts a completely different route from the VNs than what this one is doing, from what I understand, so it doesn't even have anything to do with the new one, in that regard. What you SHOULD watch before it is Fate/Zero, which is also streaming on CR. That works as a prologue to this new series, and also works as a standalone series that is a perfect entry point into the franchise.

gunswordfist

Fate/Zero as in the series you know I have already watched? :D I started the show right after you.

Anyway, that makes me feel better. Thanks.

VLordGTZ

Right now I'm keeping up with:
1. Parasyte
2. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
3. Psycho-Pass 2
4. Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
5. Amagi Brilliant Park
6. Magic Kaito 1412
7. The Seven Deadly Sins

I also plan on following the second half of Mushi-shi: The Next Chapter, and I'll probably check out Ronja when I find the time.  I'm gonna hold off on Build Fighters Try until I finish the first series.

gunswordfist

Since HXH ending and I haven't started anything else yet, I have no list. lol

Earlier I watched Jojo 19. That random laugh Kars did was amazing.

Spark Of Spirit

I saw Parasyte and Bahamut based on comments here.

Parasyte was strange. I'll probably need to see more of it to gain a handle on it. Bahamut was a really fun swashbuckler. I'll definitely try to see more of it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know, you always ask these questions, but I was just wondering, have you ever just tried looking stuff up on Wikipedia or something like that? It'd be a lot quicker than always having to wait for one of us to respond to you.

But, since you already asked, I'll just answer it anyways. Rage of Bahamut: Genesis is an adventure anime based off of a Japanese trading card game. And....that's about all there really is to know about it, so far.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 17, 2014, 04:33:22 PMI saw Parasyte and Bahamut based on comments here.

Parasyte was strange. I'll probably need to see more of it to gain a handle on it. Bahamut was a really fun swashbuckler. I'll definitely try to see more of it.

Based on the first 2 episodes of each, I find Parasyte to be a good combination of horror, mystery, action, and even some humor (so far). I just like stories where one of the "monsters" or "creatures" ends up aiding the main character in some way against its own kind (I like Gremlins for that reason as well, though unlike that, Migi is neutral so far, and not really on Shinichi's side other than to keep himself alive).

As for Bahamut, I also love how fun-spirited the show is. It has so many elements that I love, like sword-fighting, magic, demons, a middle-age style world, and a great element of adventure.