The Death (& Return?) Of Capcom

Started by Rynnec, July 18, 2011, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Quote from: Eddy on April 04, 2012, 07:14:37 PM
But speaking of Off the Record, Capcom released DLC for it that were, essentially, cheat codes. Big head mode, infinite ammo, infinite health. Things like that.

:whuh: :wth:

Nothing. I've got nothing.

Eddy

Well it IS pretty similar because the game does take place in the same area but it does add a whole lot. But game's target audience wasn't really people who already played Dead Rising 2, it was mainly made for the stragglers who didn't get Dead Rising 2 because it didn't star Frank.

The games are similar, but different. Sort of hard to explain. It's not really worth owning both unless you're a big Dead Rising fan (like I am).

Spark Of Spirit

Dead Rising is like the only series they didn't tear to pieces. It was also created by Inafune, too. But somehow only the Mega Man fans suffer. :/

I hate Capcom.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

Well, they DID make Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop. Which was basically a shitty version of Resident Evil 4.

Speaking of Resident Evil I remember them making Umbrella Chronicles, a rail shooter, and saying that, if it sold well, the Wii would get a Resident Evil title similar to RE4/RE5. Umbrella Chronicles sold great and what did Capcom do?

Made Darkside Chronicles! Another rail shooter! :blush:

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on April 04, 2012, 07:19:22 PM
The games are similar, but different. Sort of hard to explain. It's not really worth owning both unless you're a big Dead Rising fan (like I am).
Well, I love the first game, but I've never played the second one. I'll probably pick up Off The Record eventually. Been meaning to, anyway. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Eddy on April 04, 2012, 07:20:29 PM
Well, they DID make Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop.
:srs:

Capcom's "tests" were probably the most frustrating thing about this generation.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Requoting what Capcom's Tests were for those uninformed or forgot!

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 18, 2011, 10:52:01 PM
Capcom had these "tests" for the fanbase of the console.

"Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition sold millions! We'll get you guys more Resident Evil games!"
*Release light gun shooter that does well*
"Wow, you guys like light gun shooters! Here's another!"
*Sequel bombs*
"Oh, I guess you guys don't like Resident Evil!"

"Buy Zack & Wiki and you'll get more hardcore games!"
*Proceed to stealth release the game*
"Oh! You guys failed. Sorry!"

"We'll finally use those third person RE4 controls you all like in a new game!"
*Announces Dead Rising Chop Til You Drop completely missing the whole point of the series*
"Oh! I guess you guys don't want third person shooters, either!"

"We're taking a big risk on Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom! If you guys want more fighters, buy it!"
"Hey, good job guys. It actually surpassed our expectations!
*Announces MvC3 for HD consoles and never releases another fighter for the Wii*

Shit like that. Playing around with their fanbase, while never properly committing to the actual system.

Eddy

Quote from: Foggle on April 04, 2012, 07:21:48 PM
Quote from: Eddy on April 04, 2012, 07:19:22 PM
Well, I love the first game, but I've never played the second one. I'll probably pick up Off The Record eventually. Been meaning to, anyway. ;)
If you loved the first game you'll love Dead Rising 2. It improves upon the game in just about every way imaginable.

Between the two versions (DR2 and OTR) I think I prefer the original DR2 story-wise because Chuck Greene is a really likable character and you want him to succeed in his quest to save his daughter. However, OTR fixes problems DR2 had and makes overall improvements (like auto-saving when you enter new areas to prevent you having to do everything all over again should you die). Plus, you play as Frank, and he's awesome.

Daxdiv

You know, looking back at Capcom's Wii Test, did they pull any other shit like that on PS360 users before the big fall that Capcom has been experiencing?

Eddy

I just remember them releasing Bionic Commando and Dark Void and wondering why neither game sold millions.

Probably because they were both pretty bad. I never played Dark Void but I did play Bionic Commando and it was... not very good.

Spark Of Spirit

I actually quite liked Bionic Commando. With the retro costume. It doesn't change the horrible story or dialogue, but it's quite a fun game when Rad looks like Rad.

Quote from: Daxdiv on April 04, 2012, 07:28:52 PM
You know, looking back at Capcom's Wii Test, did they pull any other shit like that on PS360 users before the big fall that Capcom has been experiencing?
No, they just made games. There were only tests for the Wii.

They had horribly unrealistic expectations for Dark Void and Bionic Commando. The 2D games did spectacularly better.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yeah, Dark Void was average. The first third of the game is actually pretty great with a lot of cool set-pieces and odd platforming. Once you get the rocket pack that all stops and it just becomes another third person shooter. Get Dark Void Zero on the DSi/3DS instead. That's a WAY better game.

I know the MvC3 roster is highly divisive... but why did they use the horrible new costume for Rad from the game that bombed? Even worse were the people trying to defend that decision. Was Rad's retro outfit unlockable? When I finally get UMvC3 I don't want to use that focus-tested garbage.

Foggle

I thought Dark Void was horrendous. Using the rocket pack in dogfights was practically impossible due to intensely slippery controls. *waiting for gsf to enter and make fun of me*

Eddy

Yes, there is a Rad Spencer costume. You have to buy one of the costume packs but it does exist.

And when I eventually get a 3DS I'll be sure to get Dark Void Zero.

Spark Of Spirit

Ugh, I have to waste MS points to have Rad look right. The stupid HD costume should have been there instead.

Quote from: Foggle on April 04, 2012, 07:39:58 PM
I thought Dark Void was horrendous. Using the rocket pack in dogfights was practically impossible due to intensely slippery controls. *waiting for gsf to enter and make fun of me*
It's actually quite intuitive when you learn the controls, but it's still way too boring with no enemy variety and it's easy to die. The game gets insanely boring when you can fly.