The Death (& Return?) Of Capcom

Started by Rynnec, July 18, 2011, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Mega Man 2.5D Beta Launch Trailer (with link for beta download): youtube.com/watch?v=rNVrRyhoPjs
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Daikun

Marvel vs. Capcom (both the second and third games) will be removed from PSN and XBLA over the next week.

gunswordfist

I saw that on the Mighty No. 9 page you posted. I miiiggghhhtttt get MVC2. I have MVC3 and it gets on my nerves.

Grave

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 16, 2013, 06:20:16 PM
I saw that on the Mighty No. 9 page you posted. I miiiggghhhtttt get MVC2. I have MVC3 and it gets on my nerves.

I know the feeling. I've never been so mad at a game in my life, but when it came to MvC3, that was rage inducing levels. As great as I thought MvC2 was, I just can't bother with the series anymore, but MvC3 really set me off though. Anytime you can mash crouching light (instead of actually defending) and is rewarded for that, you got a bad game on your hands.

Anyway, from what I heard about it, this has more to do with Disney instead of Capcom, so if I were Capcom, I'd definitely try to focus more on games like CvS2 (give it an Online Edition like 3rd Strike), CvS3 (there is so much anticipation for this), SF5 (trying to make an old game feel new is a waste of time), or go for a new Rival Schools, and it don't necessarily have to be on next gen yet either.

Daxdiv

Friendly Reminder that since this the end of the year, let us reflect on Mega Man's 25th anniversary as far as games are concerned:

Spark Of Spirit

Archie and Nintendo did more for Mega Man than Capcom of Japan did.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 17, 2013, 01:10:29 AM
Archie and Nintendo did more for Mega Man than Capcom of Japan did.
And the only actual Mega Man game released that year was a fan game!

Eddy

So, according the Capcom, Resident Evil fans are getting "too old." So old, in fact, that they'll be outgrowing games all together in the future! They're losing interest in Resident Evil! So Capcom needs to come up with a way to make RE appeal to the younger crowd.

Newsflash, Capcom. RE fans aren't losing interest in RE because they're too old. They're losing interest in RE because all your RE games have been shit since RE5.

Lord Il

Quote from: Eddy on December 29, 2013, 02:33:50 PMNewsflash, Capcom. RE fans aren't losing interest in RE because they're too old. They're losing interest in RE because all your RE games have been shit since RE5.
That and the fact they keep milking the franchise to death by re-releasing the same titles over and over again (HD versions, DLCs to keep current interest up, 'Gold Editions' with DLCs already included, different console release versions, etc.)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Eddy on December 29, 2013, 02:33:50 PM
So, according the Capcom, Resident Evil fans are getting "too old." So old, in fact, that they'll be outgrowing games all together in the future! They're losing interest in Resident Evil! So Capcom needs to come up with a way to make RE appeal to the younger crowd.

Newsflash, Capcom. RE fans aren't losing interest in RE because they're too old. They're losing interest in RE because all your RE games have been shit since RE5.
And they were surprised by the positive reaction of the slower segments of RE:R and how much better it was received than the "full" sequel of RE6.

If this was any other company, I would say the thing to pull out of this is that the survival horror aspects is what they need to extend the focus on and less on the TPS shenanigans.

What Capcom of Japan will pull from this is that fans don't like the series anymore.

This company being near bankruptcy is not surprising.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's the obvious problem with big companies like Capcom these days. They aren't run by game developers, or people who know gaming. They are run by businessmen who know finance and such, yet don't really understand or respect gaming. It's so obvious why they make all of the stupid decisions that they do when you look at it that way. For instance, why did RE become more action-oriented this gen? Because games like Call of Duty and Gears of War came out and made a shit-ton of money. So what do the big-shot execs do? They say, "hey, RE is already our company's most popular franchise, so let's just follow the business model of those other companies and make our games as much like those more popular ones as possible."

To them it looks like easy money. They don't get that people who play RE games don't WANT to play them for hardcore action. They want a creepy atmosphere, great level design, and creative enemies. So when RE6 got such terrible reception, what do you think these same execs will do? The obvious answer for anyone with a gaming sense would be to re-evaluate the series and try and bring it closer to its roots. The actual answer is that they'll either try to do the same BS again with a different style of marketing it, or they'll just assume that people don't want to play RE games anymore.

Daikun

Capcom is advertising RE in fashion magazines.

It's the perfect place to bring in your teen-adult male demographic.

Daikun

gunswordfist

I'm also shocked that DmC and RE6 failed.