The 90s Are All That

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 10, 2011, 05:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

lol I guess we've come to the point of the block being so beyond irrelevant that they're pulling off random publicity stunts like this just to create buzz. I can't even tell who this is supposed to be for exactly; some meme-obsessed internet subculture? Crazy cat ladies?

Novel idea here, but maybe a better schedule could do the trick instead. You know, one that actually utilizes the entirety of the Nickelodeon library. *shrugs*

Avaitor

Yeah, I see that on my tumblr or FB feeds here and there, but only from their pages.

Pass. Definite pass.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Shout!'s doing a complete series set for Danny Phantom.

Obviously I'm not interested, but in case anyone here is, bam. I'm still hoping for a set for Arnold.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Rynnec

And with that, I just realized it's nearly been 10 years since that shows premiere.

Avaitor

If you want some cool 90's Nick-related shirts, check out these and vote.

I posted these here because you're not allowed to used the likeness of actors from the live-action shows on here, so Pete & Pete is the only one allowed to have designs sent in, but in a limited fashion. Some are more hackish than others, but there's some good ones. A couple of the Rocko's, the Repar/Jurassic Park one, and Secret Agent Log are some I can definitely see myself rocking.

New blog!

Avaitor

Remember this? Some of it is kind of embarrassing in hindsight, but I think enough of the rankings aren't too bad.

20- Doug- I think it's fine at #20. The show is important enough to warrant some place on here, but is just too bland for an older palette to really enjoy beyond Doug's age, so any higher wouldn't be right.
19- Kenan & Kel- Eh. The show still has its moments, but Kel, man.
18- Invader Zim- I like the show quite a bit better than where its ranking would make it appear, but in terms of the first kid's network's history? It shouldn't be too much higher.
17- Victorious- Yeah, idk, between most of his other later shows, this holds up the best from what I've seen in the past couple of years, but it is a pretty annoying show, all things said. But it could be worse. Sam & Cat was irredeemable.
16- Are You Afraid of the Dark?- Not too bad. The show was pretty cheesy, but unique enough. And I do still find it to be fun.
15- SpongeBob SquarePants- If I was a bigger fan of the classic age, this probably would have been higher. Maybe top 10 high, but certainly not top 5 high. The bad far outweighs the good by now.
14- As Told by Ginger- Yeah, I still stand by this. The show could be a little hokey and boring at points, but it did fill a gap that few other western cartoons before or since have done, and did it pretty well on enough occasions. I'd consider buying DVDs of it, which is more than I could say of anything else KC did around this point.
13- Salute Your Shorts- Fine slot for a fine show. There isn't a whole lot to it, but the kids always seemed to have fun, and it still has its moments. I miss it.
12- Double Dare- Should have been higher. The game shows are typically still fun to watch since they're just pure energy, and Double Dare was a great starting point. I should have put another one or two in, though.
11- The Secret World of Alex Mack- Not a bad place, really. Like many of these shows, it got kind of cheesy, but still could be pretty fun. That, and Alex was a good character for young girls to enjoy and look up to. I'd like to see more of it again.
10- All That- If any Schneider show deserves a place on a list like this, it's All That. This is too high for a show that's barely enjoyable nowadays, though. Double Dare should definitely be here instead.
9- Hey Arnold!- Could be higher, but it seems fine here. Compared to a lot of other older Nicktoons, I still enjoy it pretty well. I should get that complete series set the next time I find it, in fact...
8- The Ren & Stimpy Show- Or maybe I should switch this with Arnold. I'm not sure, but if we're talking Nickelodeon, it needs to be here. As inconsistent as all hell as it is.
7- Legends of the Hidden Temple- Still my favorite game show. If the 90's Are All That would play this on a regular basis, I'd watch it each night. Not bad at all.
6- Avatar: The Last Airbender- Considering one of my higher choices, this definitely could make it into the top 5. To my eyes, it still wouldn't be #1, though. But it could certainly be higher. And I might combine it with Korra? Or maybe I'll finally get around to watching that and deciding where it would be on here at all.
5- Rocko's Modern Life- Again because of another, higher choice, this could be higher. But it's a little too older spanning for me to consider it the GREATEST of Nickelodeon's canon.
4- The Adventures of Pete & Pete- This really is a wonderful little show. Easily a worthy top 5 choice, and among the best of children's entertainment. Just put the last set out already!
3- Clarissa Explains It All- Despite my age, I still find much to like about this show. This is another series that could definitely be corny at times, but it was earnest about its corniness. The acting was a little tighter and more believable than your average kids show, which helped to make it stand out. Especially Melissa Joan Hart, who helped to make Clarissa such a fascinating character. It's among the most enjoyable things Nick's ever done, as far as I'm concerned.
2- Rugrats- Like SpongeBob, the bad clearly outweighs the good here. But what good! I was watching the older episodes again and enjoying much of it, which explains its place on here at the time, but in hindsight, this is way too high.
1- Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide- I didn't make a mistake here.

In truth, I haven't been as interested in Nickelodeon's programming, past or present, as of late. Especially not compared to Cartoon Network's. I didn't even really watch nickreboot when it was still on, as opposed to cnreboot. But there's a certain feeling of admiration, some sort of togetherness which made, and even now occasionally still makes, Nick one of a kind.

And I wouldn't make a similar list for CN. Not only because you'd know what #1 is, but I couldn't dare to imagine what second place would be.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

My #1 will most likely always be Rocko. Nick is never going to air anything that ambitious again.

The thing with Rugrats is that it was good for the exact same amount of time as Spongebob and the bad has lasted nearly as long (despite Spongebob being on the air for over 15 years, it's still only in season 9) so it really depends on how much you like the best stuff. That said, the good stuff in Spongebob has really grown on me in the last few years.

Personally, I would have had Angry Beavers in there somewhere, but that seems to be a love it or hate it kind of show.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Ned's is probably my personal favorite Nick show, so it's nice to see someone else acknowledge it's quality.  :)

Comparing the best of Rugrats and the best of Spongebob, I'd still prefer SB by a fair bit.

Avaitor

Yeah, I dunno, Angry Beavers has always just been square in the middle for me. There are so many other Nicktoons of considerably lower quality, but I've just never been huge on it. The show definitely has its moments though.

And it would be nice if Kablam! was more widely available. You can just drop the Angela Anaconda segments, and nothing of value will be lost.

New blog!

Kiddington

Angry Beavers is good; I've had the complete set for some time now, and although there are bits of pieces of it that I do find incredibly grating after a while (Norb's hipster-ish dialogue being one of them), it's still a pretty solid show. Never had a true major dip in quality either, even if it was only on for 4-5 years.

I honestly have a pretty hard time deciding between Rocko and early era Spongebob as my all-time fav. Like, early Spongebob is really good; I've always been surprised by the people that like Rocko as much as they do and yet didn't really care for those first 3 seasons of Sponge, considering how similar they both are. I probably still give the edge to Rocko, but it's close.

Spark Of Spirit

It might be tainted since for the longest time they only played more recent episodes. Even on my Netflix the show is only season 4-9 with the good episodes oddly missing.

But Nick's reruns for the last year or so are mostly focused on season 1-3 (with a random season 4 or 5 in there) with little else. That was how I managed to give it a chance. The early stuff is surprisingly good and gets better with each re-watch.

Especially some of the voice work and lines. John O' Hurley's voice is amazing on a bad day, and yet I still find myself quoting "Yours is superior" on a random basis. Other than some season 4 episodes, none of the rest of the show is close in quality as the first three seasons. And some of the later stuff is quite awful-- some of the worst stuff Nick has ever aired.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I'll never forgive you for liking Ginger. Seriously.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Have you guys heard about this?

The only revamp that seems to be official is the Arnold one- it's been announced for a while that Craig Bartlett is working on something new for Nick, and it's increasingly being implied to be something related to HA! Whether it's the jungle movie or not remains to be seen. I haven't even seen the show in a couple of years, but I'm still interested in that. I'd even settle for a graphic novel.

But of the other 3 series mentioned, I can see them work, but maybe not as series. Well, a new YCDTOTV show might be alright. I'd rather it happen than a new All That, since it's a little more than just a watered down SNL, and has the potential to try new things for today's audiences. And I'm sure that some of the original actors would be down to help it out.

I don't really care about Schneider anymore, but I know that he's been wanting to give Victorious a real conclusion for a while. And they did make that Drake & Josh Christmas movie a year or two after it ended, so it may not be too far removed to do one. I think they could even get Ariana Grande back if it's just a movie or special. I probably wouldn't tune in, though.

And the world doesn't need another Rugrats series, or movie. But I could see a small series of online shorts be cute.

Those are just the shows that are name-dropped, though. I do like the idea of game shows returning, since they're still fun to watch. I actually enjoyed the Figure It Out reboot as much as I did the original, and wouldn't mind seeing one for Double Dare or Finders Keepers or something.

I'm not sure about other shows, though. We have the Invader Zim comic, and the creator of Clarissa should have his continuation book published soon, so those seem fine to me. I don't think that Pete & Pete or Rocko should be tampered with, though (and according to Joe Murray on Facebook, he agrees). And let's never touch Ren & Stimpy again.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Instead of Rugrats, I would approach Paul and Joe to try to make a new show for the network. Since KC isn't around anymore and the pair of them went on to make Recess and Lloyd in Space which were pretty good hits for Disney at the time. Having them make a new show would be nice. Same with Joe Murray if possible.

A new series of Doug honestly wouldn't go very far. It's very much of its time and "updating" it would make it an entirely different sort of show thereby making a revamp pointless. The only continuation that might work would be Arnold, because it's fairly easy to pick that up right off where it ended.

Everything else is fine where it is.

gunswordfist

I'd love new Arnold. Besides that, yes, a new show would have been a better idea.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody