The Simpsons

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 29, 2011, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Yeah Some Enchanted Evening was originally going to be the first episode broadcast but it was sent back due to poor off-model animation. IIRC the amount of money they spent fixing certain episodes is what made season 1 a mid season replacement show.

Commode

According to that John Ortved book from a few years ago Fox initially was weary of making The Simpsons a full on series, and wanted to test the waters by making specials, aka a Halloween special or a Christmas special.  James L Brooks and Sam Simon refused, and since they pulled a lot of weight at the time(they were both veterans in the TV biz, and Fox was a brand new network) production as a series began.  Ironically, when Some Enchanted Evening came back looking like shit and the show depended on Bart The Genius coming back looking alright(which thankfully it did, only small bits had to be touched up, versus the roughly 70% of Evening needing to be redone), they couldn't start off as a normal series and had to resort to airing a Christmas special.  It's just funny looking back at it.

Also, either Al Jean or Groening himself have said how much of a corner they backed themselves into with the episode, specifically Santa's Little Helper.  The dog appeared in the first episode aired, but not in the next several to air, he wasn't really established as being part of the family beyond the Christmas episode until Season 2.  Something that wasn't originally supposed to be a big part of the show pretty much had to be(including his name, which was originally just supposed to be part of the setup of Homer at the dog track and needing an omen), and the dog appeared and even starred in episodes in the future, the next episode being "Bart's Dog Gets an F".
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 24, 2012, 09:52:41 AM
Yeah Some Enchanted Evening was originally going to be the first episode broadcast but it was sent back due to poor off-model animation. IIRC the amount of money they spent fixing certain episodes is what made season 1 a mid season replacement show.
And it still looks like garbage compared to the rest of the season.

Quote from: Comeau on April 24, 2012, 11:48:50 AM
According to that John Ortved book from a few years ago Fox initially was weary of making The Simpsons a full on series, and wanted to test the waters by making specials, aka a Halloween special or a Christmas special.  James L Brooks and Sam Simon refused, and since they pulled a lot of weight at the time(they were both veterans in the TV biz, and Fox was a brand new network) production as a series began.  Ironically, when Some Enchanted Evening came back looking like shit and the show depended on Bart The Genius coming back looking alright(which thankfully it did, only small bits had to be touched up, versus the roughly 70% of Evening needing to be redone), they couldn't start off as a normal series and had to resort to airing a Christmas special.  It's just funny looking back at it.

Also, either Al Jean or Groening himself have said how much of a corner they backed themselves into with the episode, specifically Santa's Little Helper.  The dog appeared in the first episode aired, but not in the next several to air, he wasn't really established as being part of the family beyond the Christmas episode until Season 2.  Something that wasn't originally supposed to be a big part of the show pretty much had to be(including his name, which was originally just supposed to be part of the setup of Homer at the dog track and needing an omen), and the dog appeared and even starred in episodes in the future, the next episode being "Bart's Dog Gets an F".
As off-balance as season one can be at times, other than Some Enchanted Evening, I thought the animation turned out pretty well as a whole. SLH missing in some episodes was no big deal since he was just a dog I figured he was in the backyard or something. It wasn't like they introduced a new kid that lived with them or something. That would have been odd.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Spark Of Spirit

So much effort in the early seasons.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

You could easily make gifs of Skinner scenes and find every bit of footage of Norman Bates to accompany it with.

This is going to turn out to become a fun blog.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Huh, "The Last Temptation of Krust" was Wiki's article of the day yesterday.

You know, I haven't actually seen that one in ages.

New blog!

Commode

That episode is awful.  Not a fan of much of season 8.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I thought season 8 was excellent. It has the best season finale, too.

Avaitor

Have you guys been keeping up with the movie blog I posted not that long ago?

This is one of my favs.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Man, how many references to The Birds did A Street Car Named Marge have? Jesus man.

Dr. Insomniac

Thanks to The Simpsons, every single Kubrick film was spoiled for me years before I ever got to watch them.

Avaitor

The Simpsons sure had a knack for referencing movies all over. They even did stuff with Ace in the Hole, for crying out loud.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I hate how in The Simpsons movie, Springfield becomes more exciting than ever...and they leave. Alaska was boring as hell except for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t774IRMqY1w The film would have been 10 times better if they stayed. I know movies like to go on adventures but The Simpsons hiding out from the rest of the town until they can figure out how to break the dome would have been easy gold.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody