Ashita no Joe/Megalobox

Started by LumRanmaYasha, March 24, 2014, 12:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on May 08, 2018, 01:56:46 PMSo I downloaded VRV and started watching the show during my break at work, an episode a day. Holy shit, you guys aren't kidding, it's really good!

I'd say that it works without the nods to AnJ, but let's be real, that's the bulk of the show. I think it's still quite good even if you're unfamiliar, however.

Glad you're enjoying it as much as the rest of us! :joy:

It definitely works as a stand-alone series, which is part of what's so brilliant about it. If you've never read or watched AnJ, you can still be enthralled by this show's excellent story-telling and gorgeous animation and still come out with a completely fulfilling experience that stands on it's own. However, if you're already a fan of the source material, then it can enhance the experience even further, and not just through mere fanservice but also by using certain iconic imagery, names, or quotes from the original manga to add new meaning and depth to certain scenes based on that knowledge. I just can't stress enough how well written this anime is.

Avaitor

I really enjoyed the finale.

Spoiler
Although the ending is a little more serene then I was expecting. I guess I was expecting something more bittersweet like AnJ's ending, but you can also make a case that it wasn't that happy of an ending, just that everyone seems to be doing okay at this point. And I do like seeing Joe alive and well this time, all things considered.
[close]

Someone needs to pick this up ASAP, and 1- get it on Toonami and 2- help us get closer to AnJ to be officially released stateside.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Funny enough it hadn't occurred to me that this series was only a single cour long until it ended. I guess I was just that into it. While the ending here doesn't quite have the same emotional punch as its source of inspiration, it was satisfying enough for the sort of story being told here.

It's easily my favorite anime of the year so far, and I'll probably buy the soundtrack for it as well, which is something that I pretty much never do, but this is just too damn good to pass up

Spark Of Spirit

I really liked the ending.

Spoiler
It beats doing the same thing as AnJ while still following the core themes of the story. Joe proved himself and can now move on with his life. A happy ending was unexpected, but all their sacrifices paid off. I enjoyed it.
[close]

Would be nice to get this airing on TV here. It might finally give a push to giving the original show and manga an official release. We're more than due for it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was kind of hoping for FUNimation to get it, but Viz has proven that they can do a good English dub if they at least give enough of a shit about the series.

Anyways, it'll be a major fail if Toonami doesn't manage to snag this one.

VLordGTZ

This isn't directly related to AnJ, but was anyone aware that the Karate Master anime series that Discotek released a few years ago is an adaption of an Asaki Takamori manga (and also directed by Osamu Dezaki)?  I haven't heard anything about the series, but Takamori's relation to it alone makes me want to buy it out of pure curiosity.

Daikun

Avaitor

Definitely curious. Are we going to see the show's equivalent to Carlos and/or Mendoza in this one?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

I wouldn't be surprised if we do. Megalobox's first season definitely took more inspiration from the first half of AnJ than the latter half, so I think we might see the second season bring in the thematic elements of AnJ 2. This second season's premiere window also seems to be lining up with the 40th anniversary of AnJ 2.

On a side note, LumRanmaYasha was present for the announcement at ANYC, since we were covering it as press, and CR ended up using Lum's pic for their Twitter!  ;D

Daikun