Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

gunswordfist

poor guys who watch it on hulu.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

How much is this going to cost? Are they going to throw as much money at it like they did for the Death Note movie?

Daikun

There are no details yet. All we know is that it'll be 10 episodes.

EDIT: Never mind. I found this. There are behind-the-scenes people, but no actors.

Daikun

Avaitor

Ugh, he's a terrible actor. A poor choice.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I mean, regardless of who they case, I came to realize a long time ago that Cowboy Bebop in general is just a bad fit for a live-action adaptation. I know it seems like it could work on paper, and I used to believe that myself, what with all of it's clear Western movie influences and a relatively tamer kind of playing field in what could be adapted than certain other anime. Then you kind of realize that that only really applies to the serious story-line episodes, which themselves make up less than a quarter of the actual series, and the real DNA of the series lies in the absurd, out-there concepts of it's stand-alone episodes which only a medium like animation can really capitalize on. A Cowboy Bebop that's not animated would be inherently losing most of what makes up it's unique identity in the first place.

There are absolutely anime and manga that would make a good fit for live-action (I'm still kind of bummed that we've never gotten a live-action adaptation of Monster), but Cowboy Bebop is certainly not one of them, IMO.

Foggle

I finally rewatched this series in full recently! It was honestly even better than I remembered. I watched it with Emmy and she loved it too! Seeing my depressing old posts in this thread, I think I've learned a valuable lesson: never try to watch anime with your parents or around anyone who will judge you. :il_hahaha: I've embraced camp as one of my favorite things over the past few years and have developed a fond appreciation for Bebop's sillier episodes, with Mushroom Samba resting comfortably in my top 3. Also, now that I'm older/more intelligent (debatable) and have a different perspective on life, I actually like to think Spike lived and the ending symbolizes his spiritual rebirth rather than his death. I have thoughts and theories explaining why I believe this but I'll save them for another time... but I will say, leaving the ending open to interpretation was a genius move, as it's come to mean different things to me in the different parts of my life.

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Live Action images are now up: https://collider.com/cowboy-bebop-netflix-series-images-live-action/amp/

Kind of reminds me of Ghost in the Shell's live action movie and feels like it kind of emulates the same problem I had with that. It is clearly committed to capturing the aesthetic look of the source material, so much so that I'd argue it does so to a fault. It comes off looking more like high quality cosplay rather than having it's own distininct look that carries the spirit of the anime but still feels natural in live action. Of course, I honestly have no real faith in this project to begin with, but I'm trying to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Dr. Insomniac

I have to see it in motion first, but right now, the pics look like a Syfy show. Which is a problem with a ton of live-action anime adaptations, they always end up resembling cosplay or this.