The Simpsons

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 29, 2011, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 12, 2014, 12:24:24 PM
Too bad the shorts would be cut out of that loop, but I agree. It's a fitting place to end it.

The shorts always came off as really detached to me, anyway.

Or maybe they can just be spliced into random spots in the series.

talonmalon333

Realistically, when do you guys think they should have made the movie?

Avaitor

It would have been a nice gift for the 20th anniversary, but at the same time, I think the timing was right for its release. The crew clearly wasn't ready for the movie to happen beforehand, and it came out after enough mediocre to bad years for it to work as an apology of sorts.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on September 21, 2014, 06:51:15 PM
It would have been a nice gift for the 20th anniversary, but at the same time, I think the timing was right for its release. The crew clearly wasn't ready for the movie to happen beforehand, and it came out after enough mediocre to bad years for it to work as an apology of sorts.

What do you mean they weren't ready?

LumRanmaYasha

I take it I'm the only one on here who watched The Simpsons/Family Guy crossover special?

Was kind of too up it's own ass in being self-referential, but I actually did enjoy it overall, and surprisingly got some good laughs from it. There were certainly parts in it I didn't care for, and the fight between Peter and Homer at the end got a little too violent for my tastes (definitely the most violent of FG's "chickenfights" to date), but still, a pretty decent effort, and better than I expected or it had any right to be.

Spark Of Spirit

It's like fifteen years too late for me to care, man.

Are they still milking the chickenfight thing?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 29, 2014, 10:07:56 PM
It's like fifteen years too late for me to care, man.

Are they still milking the chickenfight thing?

Eh, I watched it for the novelty of it. It's honestly kind of sad to think the only thing that can get me to watch modern Simpsons now is curiosity over a crossover with one of it's fellow FOX animated sitcoms. Regardless of whether it's good or not, I will also watch the Simpsons/Futurama special that's coming in November, just 'cause.

As for the chicken fights, I haven't watched FG in years, so I wouldn't know. I seem to recall there only being around 4 fights at the point where I stopped watching, though.

Dr. Insomniac

I watched it with Dalek, Mahou, and Juu. It was the best. I can't believe FOX would air such a scathing deconstruction of The Simpsons and Family Guy, subtly mocking both shows' age and anti-humor in one simple hour. It's Kojima levels of fucking with the audience, guys. I would recommend this to everyone who likes both shows. Favorite clip is here. Anyone who thinks that Family Guy is a stupid show should really check their privilege and realize the brain-playing madness that goes on within this special. It's almost as funny as those Chico tapes from Ground Zeroes.

Nel_Annette

I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would, though I'd agree that most of the humor was on the meta side and that the "chicken fight" got a bit too violent for what I'm used to seeing in The Simpsons, though it's right at home on the Family Guy side of things.

Peanutbutter

I saw it and I thought it was fantastic. Had numerously good jokes like Maggie and Chris quarreling over her pacifier and then she plops another in his mouth from out of nowhere. I enjoyed the Emmys gag and Roger's cameo even though I'm not a Roger fan.

Daxdiv

Was not as Terribad as I was expecting it to be. Was more of a what if the Family Guy staff handled The Simpsons and added their style of humor into it. Still better than the Simpsons season opener, since the Simpson Guy is technically a Family Guy episode.

hobbyfan

I caught the fight at halftime of Cowboys-Saints, then watched the full show On Demand the next night. Meh. Groening didn't have enough involvement in this, i.e. collaborating with MacFarlane and his staff, else
this would've been much, much different. It's Fox catering to Seth and his crew. We all knew Homer & Peter are two of the dumbest TV dads of all time, and tossing in cameo references to Bob's Burgers and American Dad
only added to the fact that in 2014, the Simpsons is on the downturn, insofar as Fox is concerned.

I gave it a B+, because there were some good spots, but just not enough to push it further up the scale.

talonmalon333

Does Groening even still do anything for The Simpsons?

LumRanmaYasha

The only important thing Groening ever did for The Simpsons was create it. He never had any influence on the writing of the show or helped shape what it came to be as time went on.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Cartoon X on September 30, 2014, 02:31:01 PM
The only important thing Groening ever did for The Simpsons was create it. He never had any influence on the writing of the show and what it came to be as time went on.

Fair enough. Then none of the original writers still have any involvement, right? :P