Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 07, 2012, 11:35:56 PM
Chali 2na was my favorite J5 member, so that was pretty great. The man writes the best lyrics, they're more than flow and rhyme, there's a lot of real feeling, soul, and personality in his words.
Agreed. That track is probably my favorite from From The Corner To The Block, which is just an amazing album in general if you like hip-hop and/or funk.

Spark Of Spirit

I kind of touched on this in the other thread but... I don't like double bass pedals in music.

The bass in a drum is supposed to set the beat so that you move to the music, when it's playing faster than you can move, it just sounds like a mess. I far prefer the high-hat pedal for grooves, tones, and general mood in songs. There's nothing interesting that can be done with a second bass pedal. Yes you can be technically efficient with one, but to me it just isn't worth the effort because it sounds awful and contradictory to why songs have bass pedals to begin with.

If you're proficient enough you can do most of what these bands do with a double bass pedal with one of them (other than the typical spamming most acts do) leading it to frequently be crutch.

But like I said, it just comes down to it sounding awful to me. Distracting, pointless, and completely unneeded, on top of sounding like your eardrum's constant headache.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

You know, I actually do agree with you. Double bass is another one of my less favorite trends in more "extreme" metal. Again, Cynic is one of my favs because there's no double bass at all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It's the one aspect of drumming I really don't like. I was even asked if I wanted to learn one back when I took lessons and outright refused to.

Few things I just plain don't like in music (slick production, mindless screaming, most 80s productions), but that is probably my least favorite since I play them (not well, but I can) and I've never heard a good argument for them. It just seems to be one of those "loud = sweet!" arguments.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I remember in high school double bass pedal was a big deal for some reason.  Like, some kids wouldn't listen to anything without it, as if the bands that didn't feature it were less talented or something.

I was never a fan because I was more of a punk guy, and punk rarely(if ever) has utilized the double bass pedal.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I remember when Rock Band came out and the boards were flooded with people asking for it, and all the sane posters kept on with how a high-hat pedal would be far more practical and useful. For instance, I'm not sure if , didn't chart it and it doesn't make a lick of difference to the song. (Love this song, too)

Quote from: Comeau on June 10, 2012, 08:53:20 PMpunk rarely(if ever) has utilized the double bass pedal.
Because they accomplished they exact same thing without one. It's just so frivolous.

That's why I never understood the fascination. It doesn't make the music any faster, it makes it more numbing since there's no proper beat because the bass is going off like a machine gun.

Avaitor

So I don't like Jay-Z on his own much at all, but am I the only one who thinks his collabs with other artists typically turn out to be quite good? Obviously, you guys know I like "Empire State of Mind" with Alicia Keys, if you read my list, but I also have to admit that "Crazy in Love" is a lot better than Beyonce's other stuff. And although I haven't heard or have much interest in the rest of the album, I also kinda like "Niggas in Paris" with Kanye.

His Linkin Park stuff still sucks though. Nothing can change that.

New blog!

Kiddington

Not too sure how unpopular of an opinion this really is, but I've come to the conclusion that I hate every single thing that the Black Eyed Peas have ever done. Everything. I cannot find a single thing this group has done that I actually like. Every song, every cover... just, everything.

ESPECIALLY this.

Avaitor

New blog!

Commode

So after someone was playing this song at work the other day, I got to thinking, and I really don't see the difference between this and this.  Both are whiny, angsty, "I'm so fucked up let me sing a song about it", and just plain annoying, and the only reason I see for anyone liking the Slipknot song more is that it's "harder".  Sorry guys, but if you listen to that shit you have no room to make fun of the kids that listen to Simple Plan.

Also having both songs play simultaneously whilst typing this was kind of a trip.

Spark Of Spirit

That's fine with me, I don't like Simple Plan either. IMO, they're one of the worst pop-punk artists out there, and I can actually stomach some Good Charlotte songs.

They're just a sub-par MxPx rip-off without any of the songwriting ability. How they ever got big is beyond me.

Avaitor

Can someone try to tell me the appeal of bands like Fall Out Boy and All Time Low and their ilk? I keep on still finding fans of them, and I can't possibly comprehend why.

New blog!

Commode

I still like "Dance Dance", but I don't really care for anything else Fall Out Boy.  Even in high school when they were popular I wasn't really into them.  I've never heard All Time Low though, at least not that I know of.

Blink-182 and Paramore are really the only two bands of that type of music(that pop-punk from the 2000s stuff) that I still follow and like.  Maybe stuff like Alkaline Trio, but I'm not sure that they are the right type of music that we're talking about. All the rest of the pop-punk I like is more of the 90s Green Day or Vandals variety.  Or the originals, like The Ramones.

edit: Huh, All Time Low took their name from a New Found Glory song(I still like them too).  Go figure.

Avaitor

I mean, I see a lot of people talk about bands you'd catch at Warped Tour, but I don't see the appeal in them.

New blog!