Doraemon

Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 21, 2014, 03:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Hey, it's dubbed and airing on U.S. tv, so why not finally give this long-running and internationally popular franchise a thread?

The dub based on the 2005 version of the anime is currently airing on Disney XD weekdays at 12:30 in the afternoon and in the night. I've been watching some episodes the past week or so and have quite enjoyed them. It's a kids anime, so it's not like it's particularly witty or anything, but it's good, fun humor with some creative storylines, and the dub, which is superb, helps make it a really fun watch. I don't care for some of the obvious edits and the names changes (seriously, what the hell kind of names are Big G and Sneech?), but I don't think it's really too annoying, and really stupid edits like the infamous "first aid kit to pizza edit" aren't as often as you'd expect. Besides, the dub script is pretty sound and faithful, not full of bad puns and obviously changed conversations like a 4Kids hackdub would be, so I feel the spirit of show is preserved well enough.

Overall, I think it's worth checking out if you want some nice, simple but not juvenile humor.

Avaitor

I didn't hear about the dub until I saw a link to the first episode on Jerry Beck's Facebook group. I'm not sure how interested I am in the series, but it's nice to see it finally make its way to the states.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

LumRanmaYasha

Avaitor

The Japanese store at Epcot has a lot of anime merch around, from Ghibli to One Piece to Nintendo, including a respectfully big section for Doraemon.

Maybe it's doing well enough for them to prepare to sell this stuff outside of the park.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Well, apparently merchandise for the series has been selling well in the U.S. It was the #2 property in sales for Viz (who holds the merchandising rights) last year.

Dr. Insomniac

Intriguing how a doll I once saw in New York Chinatown a decade ago is now a bestseller.

Daikun