Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Well, it's been a ride, that's for sure.

Quote from: Cartoon X on September 10, 2014, 08:01:35 PM
Book 4: Balance is coming out on October 3rd.

They really want to get done with this series as soon as they can, huh?
QuoteThough many felt the animated series had stumbled a bit in its ambitious second season, Book 3: Change offered up some of the show?s most powerful drama, sharpest humor, and strongest character development.
The problem with me was that it didn't feel very ambitious at all outside of the two parter.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 10, 2014, 08:24:27 PM
Well, it's been a ride, that's for sure.

Quote from: Cartoon X on September 10, 2014, 08:01:35 PM
Book 4: Balance is coming out on October 3rd.

They really want to get done with this series as soon as they can, huh?
QuoteThough many felt the animated series had stumbled a bit in its ambitious second season, Book 3: Change offered up some of the show?s most powerful drama, sharpest humor, and strongest character development.
The problem with me was that it didn't feel very ambitious at all outside of the two parter.

Obviously they're talking about hiring Studio Pierrot to animate for them for the first half. :>

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, less than a month from now? That was fast.

Peanutbutter

On the one hand, it could be damage control due to the backlash they got on Facebook and other social media. As well as cutting off any potential leaks in Mexico like last season. But on the other, the way Avatar has been treated by Nick between how they aired ATLA's third season, not bothering whatsoever to do any quality control over Shymalan when the movie was made, and now how short notice this and last season's schedule was; I'm sure Nick is ready to be done with it.

You know what, Nick? That's fine, that's perfectly fine. If I had a whole channel that barely had more than three cartoons and a bunch of bland sitcoms, I suppose I wouldn't want a critically acclaimed series making my channel look bad either.  :thinkin:

Spark Of Spirit

Wasn't that why people were surprised Korra even got greenlit in the first place? Avatar has never been treated particularly well there and season 3 (Fire) was handled pretty poorly as well.

I have no idea why you would go through the trouble of funding a series to just let it die. Talk about horrible business. But, then-- Nickelodeon, right?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

both excitement and skepticism has hit me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

From what I've heard, Nickelodeon has always been confused as to what to do with the Avatar franchise. They're very happy with the older fanbase it has, but kids just aren't interested in action cartoons anymore, and while TLA and Korra did get some strong ratings at their heights, the show still isn't really an exception.

Of course, the shows would have done better if Nick actually dedicated time to repeats for them, since not everyone can afford the DVDs or has Nicktoons. But I guess that'd take time away from endless SpongeBob and their flavor of the year LA shows. Present-day Nickelodeon isn't very business savvy these days, as you can see.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Book 4 premiere was great, IMO. Oddly enough it didn't show Korra until the very end of the episode, but maybe that's a good thing, in this case. :sweat:

Anyways, I'm really liking Kuvira as the big bad of this season, so use. She seems to have a good sense of tact. For instance, she got the leader of that village to sign the contract not via direct force (which would of course ruin her image), but instead through clever manipulation, in that I totally suspect that she engineered that bandit attack on Kai and Opal to steal their supplies, using the bandits that she had already gotten to swear to her cause earlier in the episode; it just makes the most sense to me. Honestly, if they keep her up as one of those villains that continues to act this way believing that she's doing good, I may end up liking her more than any other villains from either Avatar series, and certainly more than Azula, who I did like for her intelligence, but found her spoiled attitude to be a major downside to her character, even if it was intentional.

I also liked how Bolin finally seems to be acting a little but more mature this season. It feels convincing in that he's still the upbeat character that he always was, but he's legitimately trying to help out, while now questioning whether he should really be supporting Kuvira or not.

Dr. Insomniac

Daxdiv

It just like my live action movie! Except it's done by one guy rather than five.

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Another great episode. I like how it let the pace flow naturally, and didn't feel rushed. Korra in this "down" state could've easily been a bummer and might have made her unlikable again if the writing wasn't up to snuff, but thankfully her character arc here is interesting, and it's easier to sympathize with her than it has been in past seasons.

And yeah, the reveal at the end of the episode, even if spoiled by some of the teasers, was amazing.