Cowboy Bebop

Started by Foggle, June 13, 2012, 12:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 14, 2012, 09:23:45 PM
I actually liked the 2nd episode. Its pretty funny if you realize its not meant to be taken seriously.
I like it too (well, somewhat), but that's definitely the kind of thing he didn't need to see after I spent like 5 minutes explaining to him how Bebop is nothing at all like Pokemon.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, to be fair, I don't see how the 2nd episode is anything at all like Pokemon....or any of Bebop, for that matter....

Foggle

That's how he described it, not me. And honestly, the supporting cast of this episode (outside of Hakim) was pretty grating to look at and listen to.

Spark Of Spirit

He's really going to hate certain later episodes, then.  ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 14, 2012, 09:31:42 PM
He's really going to hate certain later episodes, then.  ;)
I know. I'm just going to go balls out and show him Ballad of Fallen Angels tomorrow. If he doesn't like that, then I'll just watch the rest of the series alone (and probably enjoy it far more that way).

Foggle

And the more that I think on it, Asteroid Blues is a fucking great episode (though still less amazing than I remembered). Not sure what his problem with that one is.

Foggle

Alright, we watched Ballad of Fallen Angels. My dad loved it and said that he definitely wants to see the rest now. So we'll go back and watch episodes 3 and 4 next time.

That truly is an amazing episode. Some of the best 22 minutes of television ever.

Angus

:thumbup: That's awesome. Cowboy Bebop is one of my better half's favorites, along with Higurashi.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Insomniac

LumRanmaYasha

QuoteHe also confirmed for the first time that the show's lead character Spike actually survived the final episode of the beloved series and remains his personal favorite character.

... Uh, what? That kinda...weakens the impact of the ending quite a bit for me, sorry to say.  :-\ 

I wonder if the live-action Cowboy Bebop movie ever will see the light of day. I kinda doubt it, but it could be nice.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In earlier interviews, he had always said that he wanted to leave the ending up to the interpretation of the fans. Maybe they did a bad job translating him this time and he may have meant to say that he personally interprets Spike as having lived at the end, while still not ruling out the interpretation that he could be dead. Either way, I'm just going to ignore what he said and interpret that Spike dies at the end of the series. Its not that I feel that a character has to be dead by the end of a series to make a more impactful ending, but Spike's death just made sense. The woman he loved was killed, and he really doesn't have all that much to live for by the end of the series, except for revenge. So he gets his revenge on Vicious, but sustains a ton of bullet-wounds in the process. Having him live through all of that would be pretty ridiculous, especially when you consider that he collapses on a staircase with dozens of Vicious's mean ready and armed waiting below. Granted that, since Vicious is dead, they really have no benefit to finishing Spike off, but I doubt any of them would exactly be nice and willing enough to apply emergency medical operations on the guy, either. Thus it just makes the most sense to me that Spike dies of his wounds, with a smile on his face. That's the way that I have always seen it, and I will continue to do so, no matter what the director says.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 26, 2013, 12:00:03 PM
In earlier interviews, he had always said that he wanted to leave the ending up to the interpretation of the fans. Maybe they did a bad job translating him this time and he may have meant to say that he personally interprets Spike as having lived at the end, while still not ruling out the interpretation that he could be dead. Either way, I'm just going to ignore what he said and interpret that Spike dies at the end of the series. Its not that I feel that a character has to be dead by the end of a series to make a more impactful ending, but Spike's death just made sense. The woman he loved was killed, and he really doesn't have all that much to live for by the end of the series, except for revenge. So he gets his revenge on Vicious, but sustains a ton of bullet-wounds in the process. Having him live through all of that would be pretty ridiculous, especially when you consider that he collapses on a staircase with dozens of Vicious's mean ready and armed waiting below. Granted that, since Vicious is dead, they really have no benefit to finishing Spike off, but I doubt any of them would exactly be nice and willing enough to apply emergency medical operations on the guy, either. Thus it just makes the most sense to me that Spike dies of his wounds, with a smile on his face. That's the way that I have always seen it, and I will continue to do so, no matter what the director says.
Agreed. Spike is dead.

Peanutbutter

I just now finished watching the series myself. The Real Folk Blues together are my favorite episode. Seeing the tragedy of Spike's last attempt to escape his past with the emotional weight of Julia's death right beforehand and then his fight with Viscous before that final word "Bang..." is uttered. Its the culmination of the entire series, and has the biggest arsenal of impact.

Foggle

It's coming to blu ray next year!!!!

LumRanmaYasha

This day keeps getting better and better.  :thumbup:

And I'm REALLY glad FUNimation got Bebop, and not Aniplex.  ;)