Fate

Started by Lord Dalek, August 31, 2014, 08:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goody2shoes

Quote from: FinalGoji on October 12, 2014, 04:06:03 PMGáe Bolg
Sorry in advance for this, but I'm gonna geek out a bit. My wonderful mousepainting skills will show how I would have done it (read up-down, not left-right):
Spoiler
[close]
The spear appears to be thrust into the ground, yet somehow ends up in Saber's chest seemingly without changing direction.

The second last panel is meant to pan out while it rotates to the proper position. Doesn't really show that it reverses causality, but it shows the impossible path of the spear, illustrating the reality bending nature of the attack.

The key here is hiding things from the viewer (hence the zoomed in spear). It works in the same way non euclidean artwork does, relying on the perspective it's drawn from. Now the viewer is confused, and you top it off with Saber's line about reversing causality, and boom.

Lord Il

Quote from: Foggle on October 10, 2014, 11:40:16 PM
If I worked for Aniplex, I'd get H. Jon Benjamin to voice Archer in the dub.
I REALLY wish that could happen. Just because.

Quote from: Foggle on October 10, 2014, 11:40:16 PMThe first episode was amazing. Way better than both Deen adaptations and even the original VN IMO.
Agreed. I gave the episode 0 prologue a watch last night and was very pleased with it. It clocked in at nearly 3/4 of an hour and heard episode 1 will be about just as long - something I've never recently seen for a TV anime series outside from some OVAs. This Ufotable adaption compliments the VN so well, I had instant flashbacks to when I last played it a few years ago. Some background scene art and POV moments with certain characters seems so perfectly in line with the VN - except this time we don't have all the excruciating, long-winded dialogue.

Quote from: Foggle on October 11, 2014, 12:01:26 AM
I still can't believe that there are people out there who think Prisma Illya is the best part of Fate.
I've avoided it like a plague. As a so-called spinoff from Fate, it seems too shallow for my tastes. I would tell them..
;D

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 11, 2014, 12:09:06 AM
There are people out there who think Carnival Phantasm is the best part of Fate.
I thought it was a fun self-parody of TYPE-MOON's works. But... the best part of Fate? Just no. Like Prisma Illya, it has very little to do with Fate.

Quote from: Homura Akemi on October 11, 2014, 12:27:39 PM
Quote from: FinalGoji on October 11, 2014, 12:23:56 PM
There are some people that think the Fate route and Shinji Matou are the best parts of Fate

Saber is waifu, though.
Saber is everyone's waifu. Biggest polygamist situation ever. So horrible! :lol:

Quote from: FinalGoji on October 12, 2014, 04:06:03 PM
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler for extra content
[close]
:il_hahaha:

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Il on October 12, 2014, 08:19:51 PM
except this time we don't have all the excruciating, long-winded dialogue.
This is precisely why I like Ufotable's Type-Moon adaptations so much. They're not just great animators and directors, they're great script editors too. :el_hail:

;D
I love this image.

Quote from: FinalGoji on October 12, 2014, 04:06:03 PM
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler for extra content
[close]
:il_hahaha:
Both of these are beautiful. :il_hahaha: :il_hahaha:

Avaitor

I'm almost done with episode 0, and yeah, this is a pretty good prologue. The show is going to be great~
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that this show will benefit from the 2 main leads, Shirou and Rin, being far more likable than their "fathers" from Zero. Kiritsugu had an interesting past and was essentially someone who had good intentions at heart, but ultimately went about trying to attain his goals in much less than ideal ways. It made his character interesting, but also hard to sympathize with.

Spoiler
Tokiomi, on the other hand, was a total dick. I mean, he was nice to his family, but his superiority complex to others was a total turnoff, and in general his overconfident nature got the better of him. I was SO glad to see him get his comeuppance when Kotomine betrayed him by quite literally stabbing him in the back.
[close]

Foggle

I actually loved Kiritsugu; not in the sense that he was "likable" (he wasn't), but I thought he was very well written and interesting, especially in contrast with Shirou. He's my favorite character in all of Fate.

I agree that this show will benefit greatly from Shirou and Rin being enjoyable characters, but not in contrast with Fate/Zero... in contrast with the VN. Neither of them were at all likable in the original work IMO, at least not until the last few hours of Unlimited Blade Works and subsequently Heaven's Feel. It's nice to see that this adaptation is making good choices involving the alterations of their early dialogue and personalities.

Quote from: Avaitor on October 13, 2014, 06:15:13 PM
I'm almost done with episode 0, and yeah, this is a pretty good prologue. The show is going to be great~
Glad you liked it! I forget, did you watch Fate/Zero? If you're enjoying UBW and haven't seen Zero yet, I recommend going back and watching it!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I liked Kiritsugu as a character as well. As I said, he was an interesting character. I just didn't find him to actually be a likable or sympathetic character (which I'm OK with since that was obviously the intention) is what I meant. I did hate Tokiomi, though.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 13, 2014, 07:17:12 PM
I liked Kiritsugu as a character as well. As I said, he was an interesting character. I just didn't find him to actually be a likable or sympathetic character (which I'm OK with since that was obviously the intention) is what I meant. I did hate Tokiomi, though.
Yeah, I know what you meant. It just seems like most people outright hate Kiritsugu or consider him boring, so I wanted to state that I thought he was a great character. ;)

Tokiomi was an asshole. Good fashion sense and facial hair, though.

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on October 13, 2014, 07:09:52 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on October 13, 2014, 06:15:13 PM
Glad you liked it! I forget, did you watch Fate/Zero? If you're enjoying UBW and haven't seen Zero yet, I recommend going back and watching it!
Yeah, I have, but I forgot to comment on it. I thin F/Z was great, so I'm glad to catch UBW.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This is the first episode that played out very similarly to how it did in the first anime, but it's the exposition part, so it is what it is. It didn't really teach me anything that I didn't already know, though.

Avaitor

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Insomniac

I hope ufotable keeps the DEEN part where Rin awkwardly tries to arouse Saber and Shirou enough to engage in  hot dragon sex.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, this episode was a lot better than last week's. I'm so glad that we got all of that exposition out of the way. This one seemed to be primarily action-packed to make up for that, so although we didn't get too many new plot developments, it was still just really fun to watch the fight. That said, my one criticism is that, although it was visually very fun to watch, I didn't get any sense of tension from this fight like I did in some of the ones from Fate/Zero, where you knew that at least one person wasn't going to love through an encounter by the end of it, most of the time. Over here, it was just way too obvious that nobody would die or get seriously injured, probably because it was a confrontation between important characters, so I knew that it would be way too early for any of them to be killed off. In that regard, it's still not as strong as the first 2 character-heavy episodes of the show, but as a way to let off some steam after the boredom from last week, it was definitely a breath of fresh air.