Castlevania: A Thread for the Dead

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 24, 2014, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Classic mode will be taking the game's assets and rearranging them into six linear stages like the old Castlevania games. It's a fairly ingenious idea to appeal to old fans as well as the Metroidvania fans.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 23, 2015, 12:18:50 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 23, 2015, 12:07:01 AMThey just unlocked three of the six 8-bit tracks

Six 8-bit tracks?
Check out one of the recent updates. Classic mode will get six tracks, one for each stage, all done in 8-bit. All backers have to do is reach the mini-stretch goals.

It looks like this game will be very big should they hit all stretch goals. I guess it makes sense not to have a 3DS or Vita version if they're stuffing so much in.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 23, 2015, 12:30:54 AM
talon, I think he means 8-bit music when he said 8-bit tracks. I wonder if classic mode means 8-bit graphics. Linear CV gameplay and 8-bit would be what I really hope it is.

I knew that much. But "the" six 8-bit tracks makes it sound like there is something more here, as if these are tracks that already exist. Though it might just be tracks already in the game that'll get 8-bit remixes.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 23, 2015, 12:32:45 AM
Classic mode will be taking the game's assets and rearranging them into six linear stages like the old Castlevania games. It's a fairly ingenious idea to appeal to old fans as well as the Metroidvania fans.

That's the type of idea that would be awesome to see, but I typically wouldn't expect because major game developers just don't add cool stuff like that. It's great that we're truly entering an age of non-major game developers.

Spark Of Spirit

The 8-bit tracks are all original from Yamane, Yamada, and Virt. They're doing two each. So far the stretch goals have hit one for each.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

:shakeshakeshake: Now all we need is a Boss Rush mode.
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 23, 2015, 12:38:42 AM
The 8-bit tracks are all original from Yamane, Yamada, and Virt. They're doing two each. So far the stretch goals have hit one for each.
:swoon: :swoon:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 23, 2015, 12:46:43 AM

:shakeshakeshake: Now all we need is a Boss Rush mode.
That stretch goal was already hit.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Here is what Bloodstained is currently at:

Needless to say, Konami are idiots.

gunswordfist

No, saying Konami are idiots feels to good not to say outloud. Man, I can't wait to get this game. That's virtually everything I want in a Metroidvania.

Spark Of Spirit

Newest update confirms Orchestral Soundtrack was hit:

QuoteWith our Paypal backers included -- $118k from more than 1400 backers, as of this morning -- you've hit the Orchestrated Tracks stretch goal with momentum to burn! It'll be a while before Yamane and Yamada have all the tracks composed for Bloodstained, but now that you've reached this stretch goal they did want to allay one fear a few backers have had: There's still going to be a ton of variety on this soundtrack.

Hitting the orchestra stretch goal allows them to use live instrumentation where it makes sense, but some tracks just make more sense with electronic arrangements. Songs like Yamada's "Cursed Orphan", which already includes violin and electric guitar parts, will be performed by a smaller, rock-oriented ensemble.

In short: You've added more options, not taken any away. (And that's without even going into those 8-bit tracks you unlocked from Yamane, Yamada, and Virt...)
They've really been paying attention to what the potential complaints would be. I have to applaud this kickstarter as they've really done their research.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

The final update:

Also, the Swordwhip:

Still a bit over two days left and we'll probably hit the third playable character by tonight. Here's hoping we can make it to the end. This game is going to be HUGE.

gunswordfist

Just two more goals, please!

So they're going with a Sword Whip? Ivy would be proud.

Spark Of Spirit

The campaign has hit 4.5 million which means we only have two stretch goals left.

That's a lot of content.

Spark Of Spirit

That's right, they blew past 5 million with all the stretch goals hit. So they put up a new one!

What is this mode about?

QuoteControl several different bosses
Utilize their special attacks to wreak havok
Explore a new BOSS REVENGE area
Turn the tables and defeat "Hero" Bosses in your pursuit of humanity's destruction

It's a good thing this game is two years off. It's going to need the development time.

As of this posting, there's 8 hours left in the campaign.