Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

I think once we get past the main cast is when I'll really be curious. I still want to say Adult Gohan is a shoe-in (I'd be surprised if he wasn't). I guess my question would be will it be Mystic or SSJ2/Saiyaman?

Quote from: SparkCompletely off topic, but the Geese Howard reveal has made me realize that I want a new Fatal Fury. Either that or a remake of the first game (the shot at the end of the trailer is actually from the first game's ending) that plays like the later games in the series like Real Bout or Garou.

Controversial or not, I've come to like the series quite a bit over the years and I think I like the cast as a whole more than probably any other fighting series cast. The roster for the original game was Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, Joe Higashi, Tung Fu Rue, Duck King, Billy Kane, Hwa Jai, Michael Max, Raiden, Richard Meyer, and Geese Howard. I think if you had them plus some characters from the sequel (Mai, Kim, Cheng, and Jubei) you would have a pretty good roster for a fighter.

A new Fatal Fury is definitely overdue. I've been looking at some old tourney footage of Garou, I don't see why SNK wouldn't be able to make a new Fatal Fury. Just stay away from whatever graphics they used for KoF14. If need be, go back to using 2-D sprites. To me, 14 characters would be too small of a roster to get anything going, but if they could find characters to bump that up to 20 I'd be for it, but they have to make Terry at least high tier this time. For once he need his time to shine.
3S - Ken, Yang
USF4 - Cody, Yun
SF6 - Ken, Juri, Jamie

Spark Of Spirit

It has to be Mystic, imo. Mystic Gohan is the most powerful non-fused character in the original series. It took almost 100 episodes in Super to even get him back properly, and they made it the huge deal it needed to be when it finally returned. If we didn't get him that would be a huge missed opportunity.

For a new Fatal Fury, I'd like them to just use the sprites from XIII. Every one of the original 11 characters except Tung, Duck King, Michael Max, Richard Meyer and Geese Howard, are in that game, and Kim and Mai from FF2 are also ready to go. They would only need the missing 5, and Jubei, Cheng, Axel, Laurence, and Krauser, and they would have the full cast of the first two games. If they made a combined remake of the first 2 games in a new fighting system, that would be incredible.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

All I need to see is Tien, Mystic Gohan, Beerus, Super Janemba and Golden Frieza and I'll have nothing else to ask for after that point.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Markness

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 17, 2017, 11:01:35 PM
Still, I do miss Fatal Fury. KoF is great and all, but it works better when it has other active franchises to play off of, and it hasn't had any in a long time.

Fatal Fury is indeed underrated. The first two games certainly show their age but the Real Bout Fatal Fury saga still looks good today and has some of SNK's best soundtracks. I also still love Samurai Shodown I-IV and I think the series deserves better than what it got with Sen.

What do you mean by it not having anything to play off of? Is it because SNK isn't doing anything with their other titles?

BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle kicks what little notice I had for MvC Infinite to the curb.  :e_hail: :h_hail: :el_hail:

Spark Of Spirit

SNK hasn't done anything with their old franchises not named KoF or Metal Slug in years. It's a shame because they had so many great series that have remained dormant for so long.

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 18, 2017, 07:59:24 PM
All I need to see is Tien, Mystic Gohan, Beerus, Super Janemba and Golden Frieza and I'll have nothing else to ask for after that point.
Golden Frieza is in Frieza's moveset. I'm not sure he'll be a separate character as opposed to a color swap.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's a long shot, but I'd totally be up for a playable Master Roshi in his Jackie Chun get-up.

Spark Of Spirit

Here's a shot of what Piccolo and Krillin look like in-game:

Spoiler
[close]

Piccolo is a more technical fighter with extending arms and a variety of beams and has a variety of guard breaks, all of which can be charged. Krillin has a bunch of different moves like afterimage to confuse enemies, Destructo Disc which is unblockable, the Kamehameha, and is able to change the direction of ki blasts after they're fired. It looks like they got the core of what makes the characters work so well as a fighter and why fans like them.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 18, 2017, 08:41:57 PM
SNK hasn't done anything with their old franchises not named KoF or Metal Slug in years. It's a shame because they had so many great series that have remained dormant for so long.

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 18, 2017, 07:59:24 PM
Golden Frieza is in Frieza's moveset. I'm not sure he'll be a separate character as opposed to a color swap.
huh
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Markness

Quote from: Markness on July 18, 2017, 08:28:49 PM
What do you mean by it not having anything to play off of?

Sorry if this gets on your nerves, SOS, but my curiosity is hard to curb.

Is Jubei downloadable for Central Fiction already or is there a release date for him?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Markness on July 27, 2017, 12:38:09 PM

Sorry if this gets on your nerves, SOS, but my curiosity is hard to curb.
No worries, I just missed your question.

KoF is a celebration of SNK's fighting series containing characters from all over the map. That was what sold it back in the day. The problem is SNK hasn't made a non-KoF fighter since the first time they went bankrupt with Garou and Last Blade 2 which are both flawless games.

Without a stable line up of franchises KoF doesn't have quite the same impact.

Rynnec

Quote from: Mustang on July 16, 2017, 04:49:13 PM
Mysterious Fighting Game with SFEX Characters

Personally, I'm a little disappointed in fighting game fans with this one. To me this looks a bit like Killer Instinct but folks call that game ugly (along with SF5), but then have a love affair with this. Really? As I understand it, at first it was an April Fools joke, but it's turning into a real game. It was/is playable at EVO (going down as we speak). I've never experienced the EX series, and much to my understanding of it, folks called it trash so I stayed far away. Now all of a sudden (go back to MvC3 and SFxT) people are asking for Skullomania. I'm like who/why? I'm seeing him here and I'm like oh dear God (I said it once before, I can't stand troll characters). I'll be staying far away from this one.

From what I understand, most of Skullomania's popularity comes from his design and generally being a huge tokusatsu reference. I myself have never even played a EX game and even I fell in love with his design and concept.

MvC:I Exhibition match featuring Gamora and Jedah

I don't know anything about Guardians of the Galaxy. Nor do I really care to find anything out about them. I know a little bit about Darkstalkers, but I don't see the appeal. People keep on asking for a Darkstalkers 4 and I'm like "why ask for something you're not going to even play?" Whatever on that though. Speaking specifically about the way the game plays, Gamora does nothing. Jedah on the other hand, made my ears perk up a bit. My initial thoughts about the game was "I'm not gonna buy this ish". Now I might try it out (once it goes on sale). That list is definitely looking more real every time they reveal a character.

Darkstalkers 4 has been asked for mostly because of its zany cast, which in some ways is like a precursor to Guilty Gears. While a few are forgettable, characters like Jon Talbain, Lord Raptor, B.B Hood and Jedah have such a cool and crazy factor to them that makes them very appealing. That being said, I have no faith in current Capcom to make a serviceable fighting game at this point.

Mustang

Quote from: Markness on July 27, 2017, 12:38:09 PM

Is Jubei downloadable for Central Fiction already or is there a release date for him?

I know it took a while and you probably already know now but I just found out that he comes out the end of this month.
3S - Ken, Yang
USF4 - Cody, Yun
SF6 - Ken, Juri, Jamie

Mustang

SSB Vegeta, Android 16, and Android 18

SSB Goku

Even though it's still a possibility he can still make it in I am a little disappointed that 17 lost out to 16. I wanted to have him on my main team. At this point I'm hoping Goku Black makes it in so I can have Cell, Goku Black and SSB Vegeta as my main team.

I get 18 being in, but I've been seeing a lot of talk of there needing to be more female characters in (some of the suggestions I've seen has been sad) is starting to get bothersome. I get it that people want more of a female variety but other than Chi Chi and Pan, are there any others that warrant getting a shot? I mean, I'm not up to date when it comes to Super, but the series is male dominant afterall.
3S - Ken, Yang
USF4 - Cody, Yun
SF6 - Ken, Juri, Jamie

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, Dragon Ball, like many shonen of its era, is incredibly male-dominated. In a way it's strangely kind of impressive that a character like 18 even existed in the original manga's run and was as powerful as she was, given the standards of that era of Jump.

I'm all for female characters in my fighting games and everything, but this idea that we need more female characters just for the sake of seeming anti-sexist (in the most shallow way possible) really needs to stop. What matters is having a roster that actually makes for a fun game. I could see characters like Arale or Kale in this game, or maybe even Chichi, but honestly that's about the extent that we can expect from Dragon Ball as a franchise, currently.

Spark Of Spirit

17 will be in. I would really doubt they leave him out considering his popularity.