Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

It's official- Captain America 3 is happening, and it's competing with the Superman/Batman movie.

I know where my money's going. Sorry, DC.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

The only way they are going to get my money on the future of this DC movie universe is if they get a new director.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on March 15, 2014, 01:42:39 PM
It's official- Captain America 3 is happening, and it's competing with the Superman/Batman movie.

:thumbup:

Awesome, awesome news. I can't wait for Winter Soldier to come out.  ;D
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on March 15, 2014, 01:42:39 PM

Seconded.

I, too, anticipate Winter Soldier even more now. I thought the first Captain America was good, but not great, so I'm hoping for this one to be an improvement.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 15, 2014, 07:24:05 PMI thought the first Captain America was good, but not great, so I'm hoping for this one to be an improvement.

Your opinion is wrong. :anger:

LumRanmaYasha

You would really hate to hear how I feel about The Avengers, then.  :D

talonmalon333

What do you think about The Avengers, CX?

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Shadow Gentleman

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Actually, while I really, really like The Avengers on a pure entertainment level, I feel that people somewhat overrate it on a level of writing, story, and character development, which is very predictable stuff, and while executed to great effect by a talented director like Joss Whedon, is not really on the level of the best of the genre like The Dark Knight. I mean, I do still adore that film, but also wholly admit that it's not really a masterpiece.

On the other hand, CA doesn't get enough credit. It touches on a classic element of golden-age superheroes that few films are willing to touch. I think it also proves that you can make a fun superhero movie with a genuinely good-hearted character without the need to try and make him pointlessly amoral, or make the story needlessly dark or gritty just because everyone else is doing it. It's why I don't buy any arguments that MOS had to go with the tone that it did. I feel that the first CA is proof that you can do otherwise. And on that note, it represents everything I love about superheroes in the first place.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 15, 2014, 08:13:17 PM
Actually, while I really, really like The Avengers on a pure entertainment level, I feel that people somewhat overrate it on a level of writing, story, and character development, which is very predictable stuff, and while executed to great effect by a talented director like Joss Whedon, is not really on the level of the best of the genre like The Dark Knight. I mean, I do still adore that film, but also wholly admit that it's not really a masterpiece.

On the other hand, CA doesn't get enough credit. It touches on a classic element of golden-age superheroes that few films are willing to touch. I think it also proves that you can make a fun superhero movie with a genuinely good-hearted character without the need to try and make him pointlessly amoral, or make the story needlessly dark or gritty just because everyone else is doing it. It's why I don't buy any arguments that MOS had to go with the tone that it did. I feel that the first CA is proof that you can do otherwise. And on that note, it represents everything I love about superheroes in the first place.
Agreed on both.

The Avengers is a great popcorn movie, but Captain America simply has more going for it on many levels. I didn't really like Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 was a good movie, neither had me as interested as Winter Soldier does because they just didn't have that little bit extra I enjoyed from CA.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 15, 2014, 08:18:50 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 15, 2014, 08:13:17 PM

Agreed on both.

The Avengers is a great popcorn movie, but Captain America simply has more going for it on many levels. I didn't really like Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 was a good movie, neither had me as interested as Winter Soldier does because they just didn't have that little bit extra I enjoyed from CA.
I'll third all this.

LumRanmaYasha

I enjoyed The Avengers, but I can't say that I thought it was as amazing as other people did. It's a fun action film, but I didn't find it as interesting on a plot level, and while I like all the characters, only Bruce Banner/Hulk, Captain America, and Loki really had stand out moments for me (though Tony Stark/Iron Man and Nick Fury were fun as always). It just didn't really leave much of an impact on me when I finished it, unlike other people, it seems.

Keep in mind that I had not watched any of the previous MCU films before seeing it, so the impact of seeing those characters all together in a crossover film was non-existant for me. Also really didn't have any expectations for it since I am unfamiliar with Josh Whedon's (good) work and the Avengers in general (I hadn't seen EMH yet). Once I finish watching the pre-Avengers MCU films, I will watch The Avengers again and see if I like it better.

Also, I liked Captain America, I just don't find it to be what I consider a "great" film for me personally, which are films that I can watch over and over again and still find new things to appreciate. I do like how it was not annoyingly dark like DC superhero films are and it's actually my favorite movie of the MCU that I've seen. It has also been a while since I saw it last, and I enjoy Captain America much more as a character now thanks to EMH, so I maybe I'll like it better whenever I rewatch it, who knows. I want The Winter Soldier to be better than it's predecessor because I always hope sequels will be better than their predecessors (even though most of them aren't) and I really think the potential is there for Winter Solider to be a great film.

gunswordfist

I don't really see why Captain America is great (just good to me) and I actually like Avengers more. For me it's:

Iron Man
Avengers
Captain America
Thor
The Incredible Hulk (I need to rewatch Hulk hence this ranking)/Thor 2
Iron Man 2

I've yet to see Iron Man 3 and the first Iron Man movie is what I might consider great, idk, it's been awhile with that one too.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

1. Iron Man 3
2. Iron Man
3. The Avengers
4. Captain America
5. Thor
6. The Incredible Hulk
7. Iron Man 2