Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, who's willing to place bets on another announcement from DC about pushing back their release date for BVS? :sly:

Also, on another note, I just realized that this trailer effectively screwed up my childhood. I will never look at this classic the same way again. :whuh:

Spark Of Spirit

I heard they're in talks for Iron Man 4 now.

Please let this be true so RDJ will pull out of Cap 3.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Even if it is true, it probably won't come out until at least 2017, so I doubt that it'll effect their plans for CA3, especially since, if what I understand is correct, they've already signed him on for that movie, so his role is probably decided.

You know, I wouldn't have a problem with him being in CA3 if this was going to be just the Cap's story, and Stark maybe had the antagonist role. But I know that the studio executives will probably try to exploit his status in the film so that they can attract more RDJ fans being that he's the more popular actor.

Foggle

I wouldn't have a problem with a movie of Captain America teaming up with Iron Man or Captain America vs. Iron Man, provided it was still mainly Cap's story. A Civil War movie, though... no. Please. Never.

GregX

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 23, 2014, 05:10:03 PM
I was thinking about how this was just supposed to be a way to boost AoS's ratings since they were going to be airing it exclusively during next week's episode for the first time ever. The funny thing is that I STILL wasn't going to watch AoS, since I knew that I would be able to find that trailer uploaded to YouTube just under an hour after it premiered on TV, so I still didn't have to waste my time on that stupid show.

It does say a lot, though, how a single 2-minute-and-30-second trailer is far more interesting than anything that this entire show has ever had to offer us, and quite frankly would just make it look like even more of an utter joke in comparison.

I love you.

Avaitor

Greg and I talk about this each week, but the ratings for AOS keep on falling ever so slightly. I almost guarantee that if it goes below a 1.5 (which I believe is where the 18-49 ratings hit this week), the show is totally done for.

But yeah, I do not want a Civil War movie. For whatever reason, the only person who wants one are Stony shippers.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's weird, though. I haven't seen anyone outside of this board seem displeased with the announcement of what story they are planning to adapt, and I've even heard some people call Civil War an "awesome story-line" from the comics, so either I only just happened to be hanging out with and listening to the opinions of just the people who dislike it (including some of the Linkara videos that I've seen, where he indicates that he doesn't care for this story-line), or it's flat-out scary just what some people are willing to accept as good story-telling. Based on everything that I've heard about Civil War, though, it doesn't seem like something that I would like.

Anyways, if they do go through with Civil War, then the best that I can hope for is that the movie is superior to its source material by a lot, which to be fair has been done before (just look at the first Kick-Ass, for example).

Foggle

On an unrelated note, upon revisiting the Spider-Man movies, I actually find Spider-Man 3 to be the best one (and that includes the reboot films as well). It's an excellent piss-take on Marvel/Sony and one of the funniest farces ever, while also featuring some legitimately cool moments at times. The "emo" scenes are amazing, especially with that James Brown music. The Bruce Campbell cameo, too... It's Sam Raimi in top form.

I can definitely see why I didn't appreciate it until recently, though, as well as why it seems to be universally hated by Spider-Man fans. People just take themselves and their media too seriously sometimes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 24, 2014, 03:14:39 PMOn an unrelated note, upon revisiting the Spider-Man movies, I actually find Spider-Man 3 to be the best one (and that includes the reboot films as well). It's an excellent piss-take on Marvel/Sony and one of the funniest farces ever, while also featuring some legitimately cool moments at times. The "emo" scenes are amazing, especially with that James Brown music. The Bruce Campbell cameo, too... It's Sam Raimi in top form.

I can definitely see why I didn't appreciate it until recently, though, as well as why it seems to be universally hated by Spider-Man fans. People just take themselves and their media too seriously sometimes.

Finally! Someone gets it! :swoon:

I mean, no, it's not a great Spider-Man adaptation at all, but to be fair, NONE of the Raimi or reboot movies have been good adaptations of the source material. That said, I at least find SM3 to be incredibly entertaining just as a film that quite obviously was made to be intentionally goofy, for the most part, partly as a "fuck you" to the studio for forcing him to put in so many things that he never wanted to include in the film in the first place. The end result is just plain fun, IMO.

As for actual good Spider-Man adaptations in the cinema, we'll have to keep waiting for that perfect movie that we all want, but until then, The Spectacular Spider-Man is more than enough to satiate my appetite, as quite frankly Weisman puts both Raimi and Webb to shame.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 24, 2014, 03:18:14 PM
Finally! Someone gets it! :swoon:

I mean, no, it's not a great Spider-Man adaptation at all, but to be fair, NONE of the Raimi or reboot movies have been good adaptations of the source material. That said, I at least find SM3 to be incredibly entertaining just as a film that quite obviously was made to be intentionally goofy, for the most part, partly as a "fuck you" to the studio for forcing him to put in so many things that he never wanted to include in the film in the first place. The end result is just plain fun, IMO.

As for actual good Spider-Man adaptations in the cinema, we'll have to keep waiting for that perfect movie that we all want, but until then, The Spectacular Spider-Man is more than enough to satiate my appetite, as quite frankly Weisman puts both Raimi and Webb to shame.
I think it's the kind of movie that you can only really appreciate if you like Sam Raimi and his other work, and if you understand that none of the Spider-Man films have ever actually done the character proper justice outside of nifty special effects. I enjoy it a lot more after watching The Spectacular Spider-Man and revisiting some of the comics, while I now enjoy the other films a lot less. Also, being older and having seen most of Raimi's movies helped a lot.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 24, 2014, 03:05:52 PM
It's weird, though. I haven't seen anyone outside of this board seem displeased with the announcement of what story they are planning to adapt, and I've even heard some people call Civil War an "awesome story-line" from the comics, so either I only just happened to be hanging out with and listening to the opinions of just the people who dislike it (including some of the Linkara videos that I've seen, where he indicates that he doesn't care for this story-line), or it's flat-out scary just what some people are willing to accept as good story-telling. Based on everything that I've heard about Civil War, though, it doesn't seem like something that I would like.
Terrifying. I honestly had no idea there were people who actually like Civil War; it's one of the most reviled Marvel storylines for a reason. Also, fun fact, it was written by the same person who wrote the original Kick-Ass comics. That should tell you everything you need to know about it.

gunswordfist

mark millar wrote red son, the 3rd best superman comic.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

The rest of Phase 3 was announced today. And yes, Captain America 3 is Civil War. :whuh:

May 6, 2016 – Captain America: Civil War
November 4, 2016 – Doctor Strange

May 5, 2017 – Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 (new date)
July 28, 2017 – Thor: Ragnarok
November 3, 2017 – Black Panther

May 4, 2018 – Avengers: Infinity War – Part I
July 6, 2018 – Captain Marvel
November 2, 2018 – The Inhumans

May 3, 2019 – Avengers: Infinity War – Part II

Source: http://deadline.com/2014/10/new-superhero-movies-marvel-titles-release-dates-captain-america-3-black-panther-captain-marvel-864131/

Guardians 2 being moved up is awesome, and I'm excited for both Black Panther and Captain Marvel as well (hopefully they get Katee Sackhoff!). Undecided on Doctor Strange (please don't make him a white guy, Marvel) and Inhumans, don't really care about Thor, and obviously the Avengers films will always be fun.

Avaitor

Inhumans can be fun if they up the camp.

And unfortunately, the big thing right now seems to be that Marvel is in talks with Benedict Cumberbatch to play Doctor Strange. Like him or not, you have to admit that this is the lamest, safest choice they could have gone with. Personally, I would have liked to see an Asian Strange.

But I'm excited about everything else, despite being skeptical about Civil War. It's about time that we finally get a Black Panther and Captain Marvel movie (assuming that it's Carol, which it probably should be, since no one cares about the male CM). I'm not sure if I'm excited for the last Avengers to be a two-parter, since that's a YA adaptation move, but it makes sense that Marvel wants to keep the money coming for as long as they can.

Edit: Yeah, it's gonna be Carol. Great call, since she really is the definitive Captain Marvel.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

I would have liked to see Carlos Mencia as Doctor Strange.

Avaitor

Well, I think SJWs were hoping for Wanda Sykes to play the Doctor, so it could've worked.

New blog!