"Batman Begins" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, July 16, 2012, 08:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Henri Ducard: "A vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification. He can be destroyed, or locked up. But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely. "
Bruce Wayne: "...Which is?"
Henri Ducard: "A legend, Mr. Wayne."

Release Date: June 17, 2005
Studio: Warner Bros./Syncopy/Legendary Pictures
Director: Christopher Nolan
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (Panavision)
Starring: Christian Bale, Michael Cane, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes, Gary Oldman, Cillian Murphy, Tom Wilkinson, Rutger Hauer, Ken Watanabe, and Morgan Freeman

Plot Summary: When his parents were killed, millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne relocates to Asia when he is mentored by Henri Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul in how to fight evil. When learning about the plan to wipe out evil in Gotham City by Ducard, Bruce prevents this plan from getting any further and heads back to his home. Back in his original surroundings, Bruce adopts the image of a bat to strike fear into the criminals and the corrupt as the icon known as 'Batman'. But it doesn't stay quiet for long.

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #176

Let the countdown to Friday begin

Avaitor

I still find it hard to believe that TDKR is going to break the law of averages.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I rated the film a 3/5, because I think its decent....and that's about it. I don't know, its a good movie, and it even has a little re-watch value, but I think the origin story is boring in this movie, the villain is completely forgettable, the pacing is way too inconsistent, and the action scenes suck. Its sequel TDK tops it in every conceivable way. Still, looked at on its own, its good, I suppose. You could certainly do much worse for a Batman film.

Avaitor

I agree 100% with James Rolfe's review on Begins, really. Good film, surprisingly high rewatch value, but far from perfect.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on July 16, 2012, 05:39:45 PM
I agree 100% with James Rolfe's review on Begins, really. Good film, surprisingly high rewatch value, but far from perfect.

Yeah, pretty much the way I always felt about it. I think the only reason it got so much praise when it came out was because it was the first really serious take on Batman, so people were easily impressed. Burton's Batman movies were pretty much the equivalent of Raimi's Spider-Man movies, which is to say that people who wanted to have some good fun liked the movie, but hardcore comic book fans detested it, and then came 2 Batman movies after that which many of tried so hard to forget about, and I'm doing the director of them a favor by not even bothering to mention his name.

All of a sudden Batman Begins comes out after a good hiatus from any Batman movies, and it turns out to be good, so people praised the shit out of it. I guess it does deserve some praise, but it still had a lot of problems. But, like I said, TDK is where I think Nolan got it right, and its the first Batman movie since the 1989 film that I think is downright great (though a lot of people these days don't even like the 1989 movie, so in that case this would be the first great Batman movie in general).

talonmalon333

I like it a bit more than you guys. I also think it was the best Batman movie, before its sequel came out (now, whether or not I preferred it to the 1989 Batman is another story).

Can't wait for Rises. So many superhero movies this summer!

Avaitor

New blog!

talonmalon333

Foggle

Avaitor

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on July 17, 2012, 07:11:24 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 17, 2012, 06:52:45 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on July 17, 2012, 06:51:22 PM
Have you seen any of the others? :P

:burn:
I take that as a no.
I figured he just hated all of them. For shame talon, not enjoying the greatest superhero movie of all time!

talonmalon333

I take that as a no.

I've seen just about every live action Batman movie, including the 1996 one based on the old series.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 17, 2012, 08:20:48 PM

I take that as a no.

I've seen just about every live action Batman movie, including the 1996 one based on the old series.

But I meant have you seen any of the other super hero movies this summer?

New blog!

talonmalon333

I can't believe I forgot the animated Batman movies. :huh:

MotP and RotJ >>>>> Batman Begins

Quote from: Avaitor on July 17, 2012, 08:23:53 PM
But I meant have you seen any of the other super hero movies this summer?

Oh. No, I have not yet... but what's the relevance to the discussion? :P

1996 was a typo. :P