Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Eggman probably built it there...for some reason.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 08, 2012, 01:06:14 PM
Know what I didn't think much about before?

Why is there a carnival on Angel Island? ???
And an underwater city?

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on May 08, 2012, 01:10:15 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 08, 2012, 01:06:14 PM
Know what I didn't think much about before?

Why is there a carnival on Angel Island? ???
And an underwater city?

That at least makes a little bit of sense, as Angel Island was once home to an ancient race... But a carnival?

talonmalon333

By the way, it's been a while since I played Sonic 2, but I hear people complain a lot about Silver Sonic and the final boss. What was so wrong with them?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm not sure about Silver Sonic, but I think people disliked that you were forced to fight the final boss without any rings. That said, you were forced to fight the final boss in Sonic 1 without any rings as well, but people being the hypocrites that they are seem to give that one the pass.

As for the Death Egg Robot itself, it was pretty easy once you got the pattern down, anyways, so I'm not sure what everyone was complaining about.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 08, 2012, 01:32:20 PM
I'm not sure about Silver Sonic, but I think people disliked that you were forced to fight the final boss without any rings. That said, you were forced to fight the final boss in Sonic 1 without any rings as well, but people being the hypocrites that they are seem to give that one the pass.

As for the Death Egg Robot itself, it was pretty easy once you got the pattern down, anyways, so I'm not sure what everyone was complaining about.

I think they might've said something about weird hit detection. I'm not totally sure. Personally, my only issue with Death Egg Zone in that game was how it wasn't a full level, especially considering how it has it's own level theme, which you only get to hear for five seconds.

Supposedly they did make a level, but the level was moved and turned into Chemical Plant Zone. If this is true, it would make sense, cause some of the sprites in the Chemical Plant and Death Egg Zones appear to be the same.

Spark Of Spirit

Silver Sonic is a joke, so I don't get any complaints about that.

But the Death Egg Robo takes way too long to beat. Not only that but sometimes if you hit him "wrong" (I don't even know how that is), you sink into him and hit his arm thereby killing you and making you start all the way from the beginning again. It's not a bad boss, but it's too freaking slow and that potential glitch is aggravating.

As for Chemical Plant Zone being Death Egg, I'm glad it didn't turn out that way. Chemical Plant has a way better art style to it, and the music is insanely amazing. Plus it would be too easy for a final stage.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 08, 2012, 01:38:56 PM
I think they might've said something about weird hit detection.

For me personally, this is my main problem with Sonic 2's final boss.

The collision detection always seems to fail me on far too many occasions. It's even worse when playing as Knuckles, given that the fight is all that much harder anyway due to Knuckles jumping limitations compared to Sonic and Tails.

I dunno. Most people don't seem to have a problem with it, but I always do for some reason. It's not really a "fun" boss battle anyway, IMO, and this just makes it worse. Probably one of the reasons why Sonic 2 is the one (of the Genesis originals) that I play the least.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 08, 2012, 04:46:56 PM
But the Death Egg Robo takes way too long to beat. Not only that but sometimes if you hit him "wrong" (I don't even know how that is), you sink into him and hit his arm thereby killing you and making you start all the way from the beginning again. It's not a bad boss, but it's too freaking slow and that potential glitch is aggravating.

That glitch/problem you're referring to only happens if you play the game as Knuckles, who can't jump as high as Sonic or Tails and thus hits the edges of the claws of the Death Egg Robot. The game clearly wasn't designed with Knuckles as a playable character in mind, so its not surprising that it has problems like that when you try to play as Knuckles in a game that's not really meant for him. With Sonic or Tails, its really you're own fault if you hit him in the wrong area since if you jump high enough you won't even be near his claw. Though, if you just play things safe and only hit him when he lands and bends forward, then you shouldn't encounter any problems with any character, even Knuckles. Really the only bad thing about the boss fight is that there is no way to do it really fast like you can with most other boss fights in classic Sonic games, but its not like its the only long boss fight in a Sonic game (the Sonic 1 boss fight was just as long and nobody complained about that one).

QuoteAs for Chemical Plant Zone being Death Egg, I'm glad it didn't turn out that way. Chemical Plant has a way better art style to it, and the music is insanely amazing. Plus it would be too easy for a final stage.

Well, its possible that it would have originally be made much harder with more obstacles and tougher enemies if it was going to be a final zone, and just got scaled back to be easier when they decided to make it the 2nd zone in the game, but really that idea doesn't hold much logic to me since I don't know why they would have decided to switch something that they originally intended to be the final zone in the game to the 2nd zone. In this case its not like how they decided to make Marble Zone the 2nd level instead of Labrynth Zone, since in that case it made sense to put an easier level as the 2nd zone over a harder one like Labrynth Zone. I don't know what their logic would have been for doing that with Sonic 2, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've played the Death Egg Robot countless times since I was a kid and I've NEVER encountered hit detection problems with either Sonic of Tails throughout the multiple times that I have played it, and I have played several different emulated versions of the game aside from just the Genesis version of the game, so either I've been extremely lucky this whole time, or my definition of bad hit detection is different from everyone else's, because I still fail to see where the hit detection goes wrong in that boss fight.

Kiddington

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 08, 2012, 04:58:44 PM
I've played the Death Egg Robot countless times since I was a kid and I've NEVER encountered hit detection problems with either Sonic of Tails throughout the multiple times that I have played it, and I have played several different emulated versions of the game aside from just the Genesis version of the game, so either I've been extremely lucky this whole time, or my definition of bad hit detection is different from everyone else's, because I still fail to see where the hit detection goes wrong in that boss fight.

I'm surprised you've never had this problem. Seems to happen to me at least once every time I play Sonic 2.

Results may vary, I suppose.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 08, 2012, 04:55:58 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 08, 2012, 04:46:56 PM

That glitch/problem you're referring to only happens if you play the game as Knuckles, who can't jump as high as Sonic or Tails and thus hits the edges of the claws of the Death Egg Robot. The game clearly wasn't designed with Knuckles as a playable character in mind, so its not surprising that it has problems like that when you try to play as Knuckles in a game that's not really meant for him. With Sonic or Tails, its really you're own fault if you hit him in the wrong area since if you jump high enough you won't even be near his claw. Though, if you just play things safe and only hit him when he lands and bends forward, then you shouldn't encounter any problems with any character, even Knuckles. Really the only bad thing about the boss fight is that there is no way to do it really fast like you can with most other boss fights in classic Sonic games, but its not like its the only long boss fight in a Sonic game (the Sonic 1 boss fight was just as long and nobody complained about that one).
No, the glitch has happened to me when playing as Sonic. I haven't played the game as Knuckles in like a decade.

Sometimes when the boss is crouching and I jump to hit him I sink into him during the hit animation and get hit by the claw. It just happens sometimes. Nothing much that can be done about it.

As for Sonic 1's final boss- it doesn't move like a snail and requires a lot of movement, so it's never bothered me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I just use the same basic strategy on him every time I play that boss fight and I've never encountered a problem. To be descriptive, I wait for him to land and bend forward and then hit him once, then I run all the way to the left side of the room where his claws can't touch me when he tries to shoot them out. I rinse and repeat that process for a couple of minutes, which is admittedly too long for a boss fight, but not once have I had a death due to bad hit detection in that boss fight. I still can't understand how it happens to other people. Perhaps I'll look it up on Youtube to get a better idea of what it looks like for the people who have experienced it, but I honestly never had that happen to me throughout any of my playthroughs of Sonic 2, or at least not with that particular boss fight.

gunswordfist

That is a post of a person I can actually respect. :thumbup:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I don't really even know how to describe the thing. It just happens sometimes. It's not extremely common to the point where it happens every time I play it, but it does happen every now and then. It wouldn't bother me if I didn't have to waste time fighting Silver Sonic and waiting for the final fight to start again, since the boss isn't really very hard.

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 08, 2012, 05:05:20 PM

That is a post of a person I can actually respect. :thumbup:
Since when do you respect EK?  :P