Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its also such a rip-off since the port was from the GC version, anyways. Why didn't they just include the entirety of the DX content in that case? Were they really that greedy that they had to make an extra few bucks?

Also, I've never owned a Gamecube myself, so I can't really get the GC version of the game. I could buy a GC for pretty cheap, but even then I wouldn't buy a GC and then the DX version of the game just for the Game Gear games. I'd rather just save up for a Wii or DS if I was going to buy a console.

Eddy

I think all the DLC includes is unlocking Metal Sonic and those stupid missions.

talonmalon333

I hear Episode II is out. Fact or fiction? And if so, anyone here play it?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 16, 2012, 04:13:15 PM
I hear Episode II is out. Fact or fiction? And if so, anyone here play it?
Yep, I beat it and got all 7 chaos emeralds.

It's a good game. Way better than episode 1, and Sonic actually feels good to control. The team moves are pretty cool, and the levels are meatier than the ones in episode 1. If you haven't played Sonic 4, skip to episode 2. It's not perfect, but it's enjoyable.

I actually thought Sylvania Castle was the best zone. It had a lot of branching paths and platforming, as well as places to use team moves.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 16, 2012, 04:13:15 PM
I hear Episode II is out. Fact or fiction?
Fact. I haven't played it (and won't until I play Ep 1), but here are some posts from the Steam forums:

QuoteGotta admit, it's a step up.

Gotten into the game a bit, half way through or so.

Anyway, the music feels like a bit of a let down so far. Nothing has popped out at me like Sonic 4's music did.

Bosses are good too. Some of them even kinda troll you which is hilarious.

QuoteI def. like Ep II better than Ep I.
Not really sure why, as I can list a lot more things I didn't like in ep II than in ep I, such as bosses taking forever to kill (Even though not as bad as the last boss in ep I.) and the whole tag team thing with tails seeming rather gimicky.

I did however, have a gasm when I heard that music playing at the end of Stage 5 act 1.
@_@

QuoteI think its better than the original by FAR.

I mean I like the momentum now, and the characters look much better. though for an episodic game its going to be weird seeing sonic's model upgrade between episodes. Would be nice if they went back and upgraded ep1 now.

The Tails abilitys are fun, and the bosses are pretty good.

Its not generations but damn if it isn't a million times better than ep1.

QuoteI like how SEGA learned with Sonic Generations and they settled with standards: there are Red Star Rings to find, routes are easier to distinguish (and further encouraged to try), "hazardous holes" are clearly signalized, and probably some more things I don't recall at the moment.

Of course ep 1 would be much better with ep 2's refinement, but you need to look at it the other way around: "hey, at least ep 2 IS NOT LIKE EP 1!".

"Episodication" is used for many reasons: "slow money milking", the company not wanting to take big risks with big projects, to not charge big prices, and integration with the Indie market that's relevant nowadays.

Did I mention that it's been a BIG while since I last had this much fun with boss battles? Well, excluding some bosses in Generations.

Oh and, and... the Special Stages!

QuoteBeing able to use Tails to save myself makes instant death pits a lot better.

QuoteQ: So, can you play as Miles in Singleplayer?
A: No, just Sonic and Tails together, with Sonic as lead.

QuoteSo general consensus is that Episode2 is superior to Episode1 but it doesn't get close to the greatness of Generations.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't get the music complaints. It's a pretty big step as a whole from episode 1. For one, I actually remember more than 2 themes.

Sylvania Castle Act 2
Sylvania Castle Act 3
White Park Act 1
White Park Act 2
Vs. Metal Sonic
Oil Desert Act 1
Oil Desert Act 3
Sky Fortress Act 2
Sky Fortress Act 3
Final Boss

About the only theme I don't care for is White Park Act 3 which sounds straight out of episode 1. Boooring.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Of course, if you ask Jim Sterling he thinks that Episode II has uninspired levels compared to Episode I and that the music is apparently as annoying as nails on a chalkboard (whereas he praised Episode I's boring themes). I just thought I'd mention that knowing how much you already hate the guy. :>

Really, I like Epsiode II's music. Its not the best Sonic music by a long-shot, but it has some really solid tunes that fit a Sonic game, nonetheless, and I can't see how anyone in their right mind can prefer Episode I's music over Episode II's. That's just a load of shit and I'd go so far as to say that anyone who thinks so has no taste in video game music and should not have their opinion taken seriously. I know I'm the one who goes on about how everything, especially music is subjective, but in this case fuck you if you think Episode II's music is a step-back from Episode I. :anger:

Foggle

I think Episode 2's music is far better than 1's, but I can certainly see why someone wouldn't like 2's. I don't like it much myself, to be honest.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on May 16, 2012, 05:53:57 PM
I think Episode 2's music is far better than 1's, but I can certainly see why someone wouldn't like 2's. I don't like it much myself, to be honest.

The I declare that you have no taste in music and you're opinion should not be taken seriously. :>

Foggle

:cry:

I think Episode 2 has good music, it's just not the kind of stuff I'd want to listen to for the most part. 1's is actually bad (comparatively at least), though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I figured. I was just joking, anyways. For me its far from the best Sonic music out there, but I like it quite a lot. There are at least a few tracks in it that I'd listen to outside of the actual game itself, which for me is more than I can say for any of Episode I's tracks.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

It isn't at the level of the classics, Adventure, Generations, or Colors, but it is a decent soundtrack. I would certainly listen to it before Shadow or Chronicles, for instance.

Rynnec

Shadow had a decent soundtrack so long as you ignored the edgy stuff (Powerman 5000 in a Sonic game? WTF?) but I agree about Chronicles. That crap can hardly be considered a "soundtrack", it's all toilet noises.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm just not much of a fan of most of the post-Adventure 1 pre-Unleashed soundtracks in the 3D games. It's mostly boring rock music and generic symphonic stuff, to me. It just doesn't feel very Sonic.