What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Finished Green Arrow Moving Targets two days ago. Mia was made more bearable in this one. The story also showed that Green Arrow has a decent Rogues Gallery with the introduction of Brick (Y'all have seen Roy fight him on Young Justice), Drakon returning and Deathstroke. I HATE what they did with The Riddler though.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Right now I am reading the Higurashi manga for the first time (outside of one earlier attempt maybe five years ago), and I find it vastly superior to both the anime and the visual novel. It's not heavily abridged like the anime is, but it has much better pacing than the VN because most of the worthless exposition is removed. Unlike the anime, the brilliant foreshadowing and plausible storytelling is left intact, and unlike the VN, the characters are likeable instead of neurotic. Very much a best of both worlds sort of thing. The art is really hit or miss, though... the different artists seem to either do a great job with the serious scenes or the silly ones, but never both.

Avaitor

Oh yeah, I read the first couple of volumes of the manga w hile ago, and I very much liked them. I need to read the rest.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on May 13, 2013, 11:46:20 AM
Oh yeah, I read the first couple of volumes of the manga w hile ago, and I very much liked them. I need to read the rest.
First arc is about the same in the manga as the anime and VN. There really isn't much special you can do with Onikakushi since it basically just boils down to a satire on generic dating sims in the end. The manga gets a lot more interesting afterward; it deviates from and expands on the other versions of the story for the better. The manga-exclusive arcs are also quite good so far.

Pharass

Currently reading Sleeper season two and the new edition of Message to Adolf from Vertical. Sleeper continues to be a great series, with Holden getting further and further mixed up in Lynch's and Tao's byzantine schemes. Adolf of course, is a classic and the new edition is a thing of beauty.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Pharass on May 15, 2013, 07:30:12 AM
Currently reading Sleeper season two and the new edition of Message to Adolf from Vertical. Sleeper continues to be a great series, with Holden getting further and further mixed up in Lynch's and Tao's byzantine schemes. Adolf of course, is a classic and the new edition is a thing of beauty.
Ed Brubaker/Sean Phillips works are great. I was just thinking about the last volume of Criminal I read.

Avaitor

My local comic book shop has a month-long celebration for Free Comic Book Day, since the main day does so well for them. this year, if you spend at least $3 over there every Saturday, you can win a free first volume of one of a handful of graphic novels.

I'm just buying various Avengers back issues, and taking this chance to get the first volume of DMZ. :D
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Please read DMZ.

Finished reading War Of Kings today. I really liked it. Started out much faster than Annihilation and a lot of it was about decisions being made that are in the grey zone.

Avaitor

One of the free comics I got from the place today was a 90's-ea Guardians of the Galaxy issue. Yikes, you can totally feel Liefeld's influence in this one. Half of the time I was reading it, I thought this was an X-Force book, and that's not exactly a good thing.

I also got a reprint of "The Night That Gwen Stacy Died", along with its follow-up. I actually did not know that this is what this issue was, since I didn't really scan the cover, but just saw that it was a Spidey book. I actually don't own a reprint of the second part (I own the first story in at least one other printing, though), so it's nice to have.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Heh Guardians Of The Galaxy showed up in War Of Kings. Or at least the new ones did

Avaitor

Well now would be a good time to get acquainted with them, since their movie is coming up soon.

I believe they're using the 2008 lineup, so that run would be ideal to check out. Rocket Raccoon's miniseries is something else that I need to personally check out, as well.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Yeah,  I was thinking that when GotG showed up. A RR series sounds interesting. I need to finish Annihilation Conquest then read that.

Avaitor

The whole of the RR miniseries is available in the Annihilation Classic collection, among a bunch of other cool stuff.

Check it out.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on May 18, 2013, 07:54:41 PM
One of the free comics I got from the place today was a 90's-ea Guardians of the Galaxy issue. Yikes, you can totally feel Liefeld's influence in this one. Half of the time I was reading it, I thought this was an X-Force book, and that's not exactly a good thing.
Way too many 90's comics are like that. Gawd, dat Liefeld art...