Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

I guess he doesn't feel the need if it's a movie he personally hates.

Avaitor

Here's Meet the Robinsons.

He's a little more positive than I was expecting him to be, but it does sound like Doug is focusing more on the weird second half of the film, where most of the problems he mentions come from. The Robinsons have their moments, but their shticks get tiresome fast, which is indeed a big problem. But when the movie focuses on Lewis or Goob, it's a lot better.

Granted, I know that John Lasster was a little disappointed with the end result of the film as well. He took over the animation department around halfway through development of the film, if not a bit later, and wished he could have done more with it. But he did add in the quote Doug mentioned at the end.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

That movie has always raised my curiosity because it's so strange, but yeah, I don't doubt that it has problems. I would still like to see it someday.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

The only time I watched Meet the Robinsons was on Disney XD. I thought it was an enjoyable film. The second act dragged on, but everything else felt like it was trying.

Silverstar

As I mentioned a page back, the extraneous Robinson relatives who bogged down the film's second act were from A Day with Wilbur Robinson, the book that the movie was (loosely) based on; they were really only there to fill out the movie's run time and to pay homage to the book. The only Robinsons who were important to the movie's story were Wilbur, Franny, Cornelius, Bud and Lucille. True, the story could have easily been told without the other Robinson characters, but there were some funny gags in the second act. The scene at the family mansion was a little too long, but it was still one of my favorite scenes in the film.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

I'm watching one of Doug and Rob's Sibling Rivalry videos, and he expresses himself a lot better on here than you ever hear him do in his Disneycember reviews.

Maybe it's Rob's influence, but he's a lot more reasonable in their Les Miserables video than any of those.

Also wow, I'm spot-on with Rob on Victor Hugo. I really like Hugo's ideas, but actually can't handle his prose.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Surprise! Remember The Wild? Well, here it is.

There's an even bigger surprise in this video, though.

New blog!

Goldstar

I haven't seen The Wild, although I was aware of it. This movie had the misfortune to be released shortly after Dreamwork's Madagascar, so many people (myself included) wrote it off as being a Madagascar ripoff and simply ignored it.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

Yeah, I remember reading a review for the movie in my local paper that made a side article stating which animated movies The Wild knocked off. Besides Madagascar, they also unfavorably compared it to Finding Nemo and The Lion King.

New blog!

Silverstar

Lindsay Ellis, aka the Nostalgia Chick, elaborated on this in her Disney VS Dreamworks reviews. The Wild was one of the films Dreamworks put out when they were just breaking into the industry and many of their movies during this period, be it 100% intentional or not, had a recurring theme of "Screw you, Disney" in them. Shrek was probably the most blatant example of this; that film basically thumbed its' nose directly at the Magic Kingdom's conventions.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

When it comes to Doug's obvious lack of research for his videos, another good example is his Grinch review. It's a good video, but he missed on making a great Taylor Momsen joke.

I mean, her character even sang in the movie, yet it doesn't seem like he knows who she is at all. There's a million jokes he could have gone with, but nope.

New blog!

talonmalon333

And this is why I prefer Lindsey (on her own, anyway).

Silverstar

Going back to Bolt (Which I know was a few Disneycembers ago), am I the only one who thinks that the fictional TV show within the movie would've made for a more interesting story than the pets' incredible journey, if a tad cliched?

Spark Of Spirit

That might have made it closer to Cars 2 territory, but it probably would have been more interesting. The basic plot in Bolt was pretty dry.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

So no Wreck-It Ralph then? Interesting that he ended Disneycember on this.

As for The Wild, I never saw it, only remembered ads for it, and that's about it.