Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

I thought he did a great job with Disneycember, but Dreamworksuary wasn't as good. I'm just glad he's doing this, not just because I thought he'd love the series if watched it, but I just think its great that he's willing to go to so much effort just so he can give a good review to The Last Airbender. You just know he's going to be hot when he finally gets to it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Doug do this for Gargoyles or the Disney Afternoon shows since Disney seems to be finally finishing more of their DVD releases.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Speaking of Gargoyles, over the years I have become very critical of his Gargoyles review. I know that it was still a positive review, but IMO he barely touched on the best points of the show and generally didn't seem to have that much respect and appreciation for it beyond the fact that it was dark and written more maturely than the average kids show. I mean, I have to wonder if he even sat down to watch most of the series before reviewing it, or just watched a few episodes here or there. Maybe it just didn't resonate with him that much, but when he indicates that its not really on the level of something like BTAS (which I completely agree with), I couldn't help but wonder if he had really watched stuff like City of Stone, or Avalon, or The Gathering.

Avaitor

I don't think it would be that exciting for Doug to do a series of videos like these for Gargoyles, since he's familiar with the show.

Actually, I really want him to do a vlog set for Buffy and Angel, since they seem to be blank spots in his history. At least that'd explain why Doug didn't reference Buffy in any considerable way with his Editorial on women in the media.

Also, do you ever notice how bad Doug is with names? He's five episodes into Avatar, but still doesn't refer to anyone by their names, just "the prince", "the brother", etc. I can understand if it takes a while to get names down, but dude, this isn't Game of Thrones. You only have like 5 or 6 characters to pay attention to at this point.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm pretty bad with names, but even I at least had all of the main characters down after the 2nd episode. So, Doug really has no excuse. He also has no excuse to mispronounce names when he clearly must have heard their correct pronunciation multiple times in the series itself.

Then again, it may be that he does know their names by now, but just feels silly saying them out loud, which shouldn't be an issue, but I could certainly understand that if that's the case.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Avaitor on June 08, 2013, 12:13:26 PM

Also, do you ever notice how bad Doug is with names?

Pretty much. Even in his reviews, he'll probably just call an actor by their name, rather than the character they're playing.

Avaitor

Well he got Katara's name right tonight. Progress.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

New blog!

Avaitor

I normally try to not go through the opinions of every movie that Doug sees, but this post on his Facebook page has my interest.

Hmm, I wonder what angle he'll take on it.

New blog!

No-Personality

I'm too lazy to screencap right now but I follow bodybuilding hottie Eric Turner on Facebook and he appropriately called the movie Passion of the Superman.

Pretty accurate imo. (Not sure we can count on Doug for that much wit but whoknows.)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Peanutbutter

Watching a couple more of Doug's series review of Avatar: The Last Airbender. He liked The Great Divide, but he really hated the very end. Honestly, I never hated this episode either myself.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its kind of funny, I always found that episode to be really mediocre at best, but the ending honestly didn't bother me. On that end, I think that Doug was reading way too much into its message. If you think about it, the ending that we got at least made sense. I'd consider it much more insulting if the message were that such a heated feud got started over such a joke of a thing (I mean a feud in which 2 entire groups of people hold heavy spite and prejudice toward each other). So, with Aang lying about it, he at least got them to settle down enough to get out of the rest of the canyon alive, and its not like there's any evidence that they could ever possibly find to disprove his story.

So far, the only episode that he didn't like was Bato of the Water tribe, which is another average episode to me, but I can see why it didn't really suit Doug. I also found the part where that random Water Tribe guy just entrusted an important document to Aang, a kid he never even met before (he didn't even freaking know he was the Avatar). That was just random. I do think that Doug totally misread into Aang's reasoning for hiding the message from Katara and Sokka, though. I'm not saying its justified, but just that the reason that Doug that it was isn't how I perceived it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This week's review was really entertaining for me. I feel like Doug is at his best when he reviews an actual nostalgic kids show or movie that he clearly has a passionate hate toward. That's just where his gimmick really lies. Whenever he tries to review something more adult and tries to be analytic on it, I feel that he just stumbles way too much and his videos on that sort of subject material suffer for it. Of course there is the less common gem in this field like his Patch Adams review, but most of the time his assessment of adult material just comes off as boring and unfunny (The Cell is the perfect example of a review like that, even if it is a horrible movie).

talonmalon333

His review this week was definitely good. But did the sound quality for Doug's voiceovers seem off to anyone else?

Peanutbutter

Boris said it sounded off to him over at Toon Zone, so no.

Avaitor

One thing I recently thought of in regards to the Critic is that it's been a while since Doug Walker used his awful high-pitched little kid voice.

This is a very good thing.

New blog!