Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 07, 2014, 03:41:04 PM
I guess he's just Princess Sally/Renamon/Lola for women and gay men.
You can say the same for Jack Frost.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

It should be noted that there are spoilers in that video. So anyone intending on seeing The Amazing Spider-Man 2 currently in theaters should avoid it.

As someone who is a fan of the Raimi trilogy (including 3), but didn't like TASM and has no interest in seeing the sequel currently in theaters (hence why I had no issue with watching the video), I disagree with many of his points (at least the ones I could grasp seeing as I only saw the first Amazing movie, don't necessarily apply these points with TASM2).

To start, honestly, I didn't like Andrew Garfield in the role of Spider-Man. I get the performance he was trying to give, but to me it just didn't work. Not to mention, he really didn't even compare the two Spider-Mans. He spent most of the time just talking a lot about Andrew Garfield. Plus, saying "Tobey Maguire gave up being Spider-Man because it was hard" isn't a good complaint. I mean, one of the big points of the character is that he is still just a normal guy. As soon as he said this, I was waiting to hear her counter argument, but she didn't make it for some reason. He just cut off the comparison there. Besides... of all Garfield's one-liners in TASM1, none of them were gold like "It's you who's out Gobby, out of your mind". :D

Also, I never agreed with people's issues with Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane. To me she worked and their relationship seemed believable. It's naturally just rocky from start to finish, and I like the progression of her suspicion that Peter is Spider-Man. In the times where she comes off as annoying, such as when she pushes him away when he tries to form a relationship with her in SM2, I get the feeling that she's more waiting for him to open up to her rather than merely pushing him away out of sadness. And when they do end up together... it's not easy. Even her expression in the last moment of SM2, after encouraging him to aid in that police chase outside, gives a look like she's questioning herself, and their future. And at the very end of SM3, it makes perfect sense that maybe they still aren't ready to be together. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone's relationship, at least in TASM1, felt rushed (which is a complaint I'd make on most things from that movie). But besides that, Emma Stone was fine. She wasn't one of my problems with Amazing, so I won't comment much on her.

I think he glossed over the Lizard. He was just... a guy who was turned into a lizard, who wanted to turn everyone into... lizards... Doug did say that the villain dialogue isn't memorable, but he didn't talk about how weird and contrived the Lizard's plan was. :P

GregX

Am I the only one who doesn't think either movie series is all that good?

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: GregX on May 20, 2014, 07:33:21 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think either movie series is all that good?

Nah, I don't really care for them either.  :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't love any of them, and don't get why SM2 is so highly praised of a film, but I simultaneously get moderate enjoyment out of all of them (including SM3).

That said, I'd like to make it clear that TSSM animated series is leagues better than any of the films.

Avaitor

I don't remember anything about Alfred Molina as Doc Ock. Doug should speak for himself there. :D

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, and sorry Talon, but I have to agree with the NC about MJ. On top of just being a damsel in distress for most of Raimi's films, she is just a very bland character, and I never felt any chemistry between her and Peter in those films. I don't think that the movie version of Gwen Stacy is quite as interesting of a character as Doug makes her out to be (sure she is useful, but that alone doesn't make a character interesting or well-written, which is really what Doug seems to be implying with her), but I have to admit that at least she and Peter have good chemistry between each other in the new films. That alone makes her a better replacement for MJ.

talonmalon333

Fair enough. I suppose I'm in the minority, at least on this site, that likes the relationship between Peter and Mary Jane, and liked seeing how it developed from the start when they basically just classmates (though the "Is that an angel?" line was admittedly pretty cringeworthy). To me, the building of Peter and Gwen's relationship felt really fast, especially when she learned he was Spider-Man and when he then apparently carried her around the city.

But the best romance in any superhero movies, in my opinion, is probably Superman and Lois in the Donner movies. I also like the "romantic but also professional" connection between Tony Stark and Pepper.

Avaitor

The best is Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter. No contest.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Nel_Annette

Daikun

I haven't seen Juno, so... :??:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I never got why it was so highly praised in the first place. The writing is atrocious, IMO.