Neon Genesis Evangelion

Started by Avaitor, May 10, 2011, 01:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Khara can't find a consistent license holder for their IP?

Dr. Insomniac

So 3.0+1.0's out, and I noticed not only did Amazon redub the films, but they brought back even more ADV-era actors than the Funi dub.

LumRanmaYasha

They did bring a lot of people back from the cast circa The End of Evangelion dub, mostly notably Amanda Winn-lee as Rei, who was replaced by Brina Palencia in FUNi's dub. However, they didn't bring back the previous actors for Ritsuko, Kaji, Kensuke and Kaworu, which is particularly funny in the latter's example because it means that Kaworu has had a different actor in every single iteration of the Eva dubs so far.  :sweat:

Here's a chart of all the different dub iterations of Eva from EvaMonkey.

I think the latest dub starts off a little rocky and stilted in 1.11, but as the movies go on the script and acting starts feeling more natural. Which is interesting because I think the first one of these they dubbed was 3.0 + 1.0, but that definitely came across as the strongest performance-wise, with the exception of Kimberly Yates as Hikari, who seemed to not have any voice control and delivered most of her lines in one pitch and a really awkward delivery.

The movie itself was really satisfying and I loved it. I shared some thoughts on it over on Letterboxd, but I thought it was a really nice coda to the series and reflection on Anno's mental health and view of what it means to live in the world as has been filtered over the franchise over the years.

Dr. Insomniac

It's a film I've got thoughts about and I'm not sure what to make of them. The parts where it remakes EoE I didn't like, because they were either not as well-directed (the giant naked Rei scene especially) as the original scenes or feel like they're there just to go "Remember EoE, guys?". While the Shinji/Mari ending makes sense on a behind the scenes metafictional level, still annoyed at the possibly unintentional pun that Anno getting married led to Shinji getting Mari'd, I don't get it within this series' story when the two barely had any screentime together until near the climax of this film. And even though the movie's two and a half hours long, I genuinely thought it needed more breathing space for scenes it wasn't giving enough to, enough that Anno could've stretched this movie's plot out to a 2-cour show. But as a whole, I liked it. It's all about Anno looking at his mental health and viewing it with kindness instead of frustration this time. I loved the Unit-01 vs Unit-13 fight in all of its corny glory. And the music too, it's Shiro Sagisu at his best.

Daikun

Avaitor

This is very tempting, even for someone like me who has no real plans to rewatch the series again.

Having disposable income can be a bitch sometimes. Between this, the Robotech set, and the new Iron Maiden release, deluxe editions are going to make me... not broke, but spend way more than I should.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Been thinking more about the last Rebuild movie.

-These movies just don't do Asuka any favors. They cut out all the nuances and interesting parts of her show characters and make her feel like an extra, barring a few scenes.
-Same with Misato. I don't get the deal with turning Misato into another Gendo for the latter two movies. And since Gendo's still a major player in these films too, there isn't enough time to go around to differentiate the two characters or make note of the irony that time's repeating itself. And by extension, Ritsuko gets nothing to do at all.
-After reading production notes and watching a little of the Anno documentary, it's obvious how much these movies were written with zero idea about the next movie. Which isn't a bad thing, and the films still loosely follow the show plot anyway, but you can still tell ideas like what they were going to do with Mari or anything involving SEELE or WILLE had little forethought.
-On a Freudian note, compared to "Are you riding his baloney pony?!" and EoE's infamous scene, this is the one finale where Shinji's the least sexually humiliated.

Markness

We probably won't see the last of Evangelion until Anno exits this plane of existence: https://www.google.com/amp/s/collider.com/hideaki-anno-evangelion-interview/amp/