Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Hopefully Capcom will take this opportunity to re-release Strider 1 and 2.

gunswordfist

Ah, a real Strider. Moon Diver is kind of bugging me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Foggle on July 17, 2013, 10:03:06 AM
Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on July 17, 2013, 12:43:04 AM
Pre-ordered Pikmin 3 as well.

Oh god its happening I'm playing video games again somebody stop me.
What's your PSN name btw? Someone named THEVIDYAGAEMS added me, and I think I assumed it was you for some reason.

Basillikos, and what kind of loser would make themselves known as a /v/ browser?

Foggle

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on July 20, 2013, 12:33:50 AM
Basillikos, and what kind of loser would make themselves known as a /v/ browser?
Cool, I'll add you later.

I have no idea, but they added me. :drool:

Spark Of Spirit

This is shaping up awesome

I do have to say though, I've always liked the Amazon and Himalayas themes more than the Moon. They're just a lot punchier, plus these remixes are amazing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

First DuckTales review is out

You can apparently put on the NES music if you're so inclined. Awesome idea.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 12, 2013, 04:54:54 PM
First DuckTales review is out

You can apparently put on the NES music if you're so inclined. Awesome idea.
That's awesome! You can do the same thing in ROTT as well. :)

Foggle

Speaking of DuckTales and ROTT...

http://www.gamespot.com/ducktales-remastered/reviews/ducktales-remastered-review-6412727/
http://www.gamespot.com/rise-of-the-triad/reviews/rise-of-the-triad-review-6412408/

Everything wrong with modern gamers and gaming journalism, right there. Of course, IGN's review of ROTT is even worse. The dude hates it, and in the video he recorded, it's obvious that he doesn't even understand how to play old-school shooters. He dies repeatedly in the first level on Normal difficulty, and fails to even beat it.

Spark Of Spirit

What?  ???

That's.... WHAT?

EDIT: Polygon-

QuoteDUCKTALES WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER LEFT TO 1980'S NOSTALGIA
DuckTales Remastered is full of miserably dull and frustrating mechanics behind its updated presentation
What frustrating mechanics? You push a button to jump and another to pogo. When did the casuals take over review sites?

Spark Of Spirit

QuoteScrooge has a finite number of lives and, if you should die, you have to replay levels from the beginning. Rather than add a satisfying challenge, such a punitive system only adds to the frustration. There's no joy in replaying 15 or more minutes because a gorilla knocked you into a pit.
This is what the industry has come to.

They don't even know what the freaking lives system is anymore.

Foggle

Jesus. I don't really care for lives systems because I get frustrated easily and my free time is important to me, but actually complaining about one in a review? Saying a game is worse because it has one? Is that motherfucker smoking crack? Does he at least realize this is a remake of an NES game?

Spark Of Spirit

I guess this is the part before a remade game comes out where we try to revise history and say stupid things to make our opinions better accepted by the masses.

DuckTales was well received when it came out, was a high seller (million seller, actually), and was a highly influential game that influenced people from Cliffy B all the way to Shinji Mikami. If someone can't understand why it's getting remade, then they either know nothing about the history of the industry they work in or that there might be more to it than the typically weak 'nostalgia glasses' argument.

There's also the fact that judging an NES game for playing like an NES game is laughable in and of itself. Not everyone who plays video games are interested in six hour hallway simulators with a b-movie story that has no replay value.

Spark Of Spirit

I just wanted to specific that my comments weren't meant to upset those who like modern games, they were more directed at the assertion that a reissue of an old property needs to be vastly overhauled to be worth anything (if it ever was in the first place, according to revisionists like Polygon) instead of being judged on what it actually is.

It was as crazy as the reviews who dog games like DOOM (or Rise Of The Triad) for not having aim-down sights or cutscenes when neither had anything to do with the original game nor did they really exist at the time. It's a disrespect toward the fans (who are the reason these things get re-releases, by the way) and the people behind the game to say that it isn't good enough because it didn't foresee things that didn't exist at the time to be included in the game decades later. It's unreasonable, and it's not fair.

There's a reason people don't like Han shooting second and walkie talkies in place of guns in movies and dub step remixes of songs from twenty years ago. It's not because they're blinded by nostalgia.

Oh yeah, and apparently easy mode in DuckTales has no game overs, so you will never get kicked from the stage. Of course the reviews that complained decided not to mention that.

Foggle

Huh, so the 3DS/Vita Batman game is a direct sequel to the upcoming Arkham Origins. And it's being made by ex-Retro staff. That's awesome. Think I might actually be more excited for that one than its older cousin. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, it's a prequel....that itself is a sequel to another prequel? :thinkin: