Greatest Anime Series (Voting)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2012, 08:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on December 28, 2012, 01:21:41 PM
The Big O (still need to see season 1, though)
Durarara!! (I actually gave up on this, but I've seen some of it, so I guess it should be second)
Fate/Zero (I'm sure it's good, but F/SN still left a sour taste in my mouth)
Future Boy Conan (also not familiar with it)
Same.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Pharass

Future Boy Conan: Not only interesting as a blueprint for Miyazaki's later work (it features several tropes that anyone who has watched a Studio Ghibli film will be familiar with, such as; beautiful flying-scenes, a strong-willed heroine, and morally ambiguous antagonists) but a great series in it's own right.
The Big O
Fate/Zero
Durarara!!: While I enjoyed some of the characters as well as the whole modern-day mythology aspect, I don't think the show itself lived up to it's full potential. For example, the various reveals did not awe me as much as I feel they should have.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Spark Of Spirit

The Big O
Future Boy Conan
Fate/Zero
Durarara!!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Fate/Zero
Durarara!!
The Big O
Future Boy Conan

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and wrap up this match since I've kept it up all day which should have given everyone who had the opportunity to vote enough time to do so.

Here are the results:

The Big O- 24
Fate/Zero- 19
Durarara!!- 15
Future Boy Conan- 12

The Big O and Fate/Zero will advance to the next round. Pharass, if it makes you feel any better, I may give Future Boy Conan a look soon since I've been looking for a good old-school anime to watch. ;)

Alright, lets move on.

Round 1, Match 3:

Kino's Journey

vs.

Martian Successor Nadesico

vs.

Great Teacher Onizuka

vs.

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

My Selections:

Great Teacher Onizuka (One of my personal favorite anime ever, and Onizuka is one of my all-time favorite anime characters)
Kino's Journey (Its not entirely my cup of tea to be honest, but I respect the mature subject material and how its handled)
Martian Successor Nadesico (I haven't seen it, but its one of Desensitized's favorites, so its probably pretty good)
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Once again, I haven't seen it before)

Spark Of Spirit

Martian Successor Nadesico - I like this a lot as a basic sci-fi story with great characters, and the story takes some really good turns
Great Teacher Onizuka - This type of story has been done a lot, but I think this is one of the best versions of it
Kino's Journey - Pretty good, but a bit too slow for my tastes
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit - Way too slow for my tastes
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Kino's Journey - Desen... :srs:
Nadesico - Seriously, EK. Actually watch a few episodes of each anime before you can make a decent rank.
GTO - It's not that hard to waste 40 minutes on an anime.
Moribito - For example, I watched this. And this sucked.

Avaitor

Kino's Journey (it's pretty slow-paced, yes, but I think it has the atmosphere to pull it off. The episodes with young Kino especially are mindblowing)
GTO (what a hoot this show is, and it made for one of my favorite JO reviews, as well)
Nadesico (I really enjoy this one too, but luck of the draw)
Moribito (aka more burritos. It really isn't that bad, but yeahhhhh, it didn't catch on for a reason. It's just too slow for your average [as] viewer)
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 28, 2012, 07:39:05 PM
Kino's Journey - Desen... :srs:
What? I never called it bad! I said I didn't like it as much as the others.  :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Nadesico - Seriously, EK. Actually watch a few episodes of each anime before you can make a decent rank.

I don't have the time to just sporadically watch something on a whim. Usually when I'm going to try a series, I make sure I have enough time to commit to it if its good. If its not, then I probably wasted some time but at least I was willing to give the series a fair shot. Either way, even if I were to watch a few episodes of each anime I didn't know in this competition, I simply wouldn't have the time (and in some cases not even the means) to do so, in which case I either couldn't participate in most matches, or we'd be stuck on a single round forever just so that I could take a day or more to check out every series that I didn't see.

Also, even if I did watch a few episodes of the shows that I didn't see, it wouldn't change much in most cases. For example, I have watched through all of Kino's Journey in its entirety. Even if I watched a few episodes of MSN and liked it, I still couldn't rank it above KJ unless I saw the full thing to know that I liked the full show (unless I downright disliked KJ, which I don't, as I noted that its a good series).

Foggle

BEST. TEACHER. EVER.
Quest For Kinolot
The Martian's Next Nabisco Cookies
Murribbitto: Guardian of the Frog Spirit

Lord Dalek

Kino's Journey - Its really good
Moribito - Its kinda good
Nadesico - The movie fucking sucked
GTO - Overrated shit

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Lord Dalek on December 28, 2012, 07:43:56 PM
Nadesico - The movie fucking sucked
This is true.

Do not watch the movie.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Lord Dalek on December 28, 2012, 07:43:56 PM
GTO - Overrated shit

Being overrated implies that a show is really popular. That may have been true at one point for this series, but GTO has fallen into a niche in recent years. I mean, who the hell even talks about it these days (besides me, occasionally)?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 28, 2012, 07:42:43 PM

I don't have the time to just sporadically watch something on a whim. Usually when I'm going to try a series, I make sure I have enough time to commit to it if its good. If its not, then I probably wasted some time but at least I was willing to give the series a fair shot. Either way, even if I were to watch a few episodes of each anime I didn't know in this competition, I simply wouldn't have the time (and in some cases not even the means) to do so, in which case I either couldn't participate in most matches, or we'd be stuck on a single round forever just so that I could take a day or more to check out every series that I didn't see.

Also, even if I did watch a few episodes of the shows that I didn't see, it wouldn't change much in most cases. For example, I have watched through all of Kino's Journey in its entirety. Even if I watched a few episodes of MSN and liked it, I still couldn't rank it above KJ unless I saw the full thing to know that I liked the full show (unless I downright disliked KJ, which I don't, as I noted that its a good series).
I smell an excuse to not waste 40 minutes a day on anime. :joy: