Greatest Manga Series: Nomination Thread

Started by Pharass, February 19, 2013, 07:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharass

With the Greatest Anime tournament having come to it's conclusion, I thought that this would be an appropriate subject for the next one. Yes, the time has come for us here on Animation Revelation to decide what the greatest comic to come out of Japan is. The rules will be similar to the ones found in the Greatest Anime tournament; we'll have 64 contestants and each one of us can nominate up to eight different titles. However, I'm willing to expand on these numbers if there's enough interest.
Let's do this thing, I'll start to get the ball rolling:

Vinland Saga
Banana Fish
Sanctuary
Ode to Kirihito

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Foggle

Excel Saga
Monster (feel free to not count this one since the anime did so well in the other tournament)
20th Century Boys
Cromartie High School
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders
Berserk
Ichi The Killer
Sakigake!! Otokojuku

:)

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dragon Ball
Slam Dunk
Shonan Junai Gumi
Rurouni Kenshin
Full Metal Panic! Sigma

To be honest, my activity in this particular competition will be limited due to my sever lack of experience with manga. As you can all clearly tell, I'm really mostly only familiar with the most mainstream stuff, so I'll only ever be participating in rounds/matches that have enough series that I can actually recognize from having read a considerable amount of.

Pharass

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2013, 11:13:09 AM
Samurai Executioner

That reminds me:

Lone Wolf and Cub

Foggle: I've decided to include Monster among the nominations, for no other reason than that I love both the manga and the anime adaption. However, if you feel that it's inclusion here is superfluous and would like to replace it, feel free to do so.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Foggle

Quote from: Pharass on February 19, 2013, 01:11:34 PM
Foggle: I've decided to include Monster among the nominations, for no other reason than that I love both the manga and the anime adaption. However, if you feel that it's inclusion here is superfluous and would like to replace it, feel free to do so.
No no, I totally think Monster deserves to be part of this! It's my second favorite manga after all. ;)

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 19, 2013, 01:05:16 PM
To be honest, my activity in this particular competition will be limited due to my sever lack of experience with manga. As you can all clearly tell, I'm really mostly only familiar with the most mainstream stuff, so I'll only ever be participating in rounds/matches that have enough series that I can actually recognize from having read a considerable amount of.
Maybe we could let the rounds go for about a week each to give the voters enough time to read a few volumes. After all, most manga chapters only take about 5-10 minutes to get through. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It'd be especially criminal to exclude Monster from being nominated as the manga, unlike the anime, was a completely original product created from nothing, which technically makes it far superior to the anime which was only so great in the first place because it copied and pasted everything from the manga with minimal to no alteration. In other words, the manga deserves more credit than the anime, and I anticipate that the manga for Monster will make it pretty damn far in this competition, just like how the anime did. Then again, there are already a lot of nominations for manga that I haven't read, so I don't know how those compare to it.

As far as nominations go, I was also thinking of nominating Vagabond, but I've still haven't read enough of it yet to say whether it truly holds up or not. I've only completed 2 volumes of it, so far, though it is pretty good.

I would have also nominated Hunter X Hunter to get a Togashi manga in here, but going by the anime thread, only about 3 people on this board give a shit about that series, so I doubt that it would make it past the first round, anyways. Then again, the same could be said for some of my other nominations, but at least those didn't already appear among the anime nominations, so it at least makes more sense to try them here.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 19, 2013, 03:15:31 PM
I would have also nominated Hunter X Hunter to get a Togashi manga in here, but going by the anime thread, only about 3 people on this board give a shit about that series, so I doubt that it would make it past the first round, anyways.
And yet, I nominated both Excel Saga and Sakigake!! Otokojuku, neither of which have any chance whatsoever to make it past the first round. ;)

Dr. Insomniac

Daxdiv

I'll give this a shot.

Animal Land
Dr. Slump
Kinnikuman
One Piece
Pokemon Adventures
Zatch Bell

Quote from: Foggle on February 19, 2013, 04:50:56 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 19, 2013, 03:15:31 PM
I would have also nominated Hunter X Hunter to get a Togashi manga in here, but going by the anime thread, only about 3 people on this board give a shit about that series, so I doubt that it would make it past the first round, anyways.
And yet, I nominated both Excel Saga and Sakigake!! Otokojuku, neither of which have any chance whatsoever to make it past the first round. ;)

If it makes you guys feel better, I don't think my manga won't make it past the first round. :P

Rynnec

Hayate Cross Blade

...and that's all I got for now.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Pharass on February 19, 2013, 01:11:34 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2013, 11:13:09 AM
Samurai Executioner

That reminds me:

Lone Wolf and Cub

Yeah, Lone Wolf And Cub was going to be my first manga but then I heard about SE and decided to start with that. Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima are great.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Pharass

I would advise you guys not to worry about whether or not your particular choices are going to make it past the first round; if there's a series you want to be in this tournament, just nominate it. Also, I'm thinking of lifting the whole "8 nominations per member" - limit, otherwise I'm afraid this tournament is never going to get started.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, I'll add Hunter X Hunter to my list of nominations, then.

I'm also going to go ahead and nominate Vagabond. While I've only read 3 volumes of it so far, I think its a damn good series and based on the reviews I've seen of it, I don't believe it'll dip in quality any time soon.