Futurama

Started by Commode, December 27, 2010, 11:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Part of me thinks that The Simpsons might end with this coming season, the 25th, since it's a nice number and the show's merchandise, the main reason it's stayed on for so long, has stopped selling as much as it used to, to the point that the voice actors had to take a pretty big dock in pay to keep it going.

But I'm not calling that yet, since that just makes too much sense to happen, and Fox will probably keep on trucking until one of the VAs dies, since there's no way they can rightfully replace any of them at this point.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I think the cast took a pay cut to specifically get the 25th season ordered so that's probably going to be it.

Funny that the Simpsons is beating Family Guy in the ratings now, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yeah. I also remember reading that Seth wanted to end FG around this point as well, but I don't think that's happening.

I think his plans were to end the show and work on his Flintstones reboot, but he must have got cold feet at the 11th hour and dropped that to keep Family Guy afloat and keep on earning that revenue. This would make a lot of sense when you think about it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on April 22, 2013, 05:34:35 PM
Yeah. I also remember reading that Seth wanted to end FG around this point as well, but I don't think that's happening.

I think his plans were to end the show and work on his Flintstones reboot, but he must have got cold feet at the 11th hour and dropped that to keep Family Guy afloat and keep on earning that revenue. This would make a lot of sense when you think about it.

I don't think the Flinstones reboot is outright cancelled, but the production is just delayed for now. Seth MacFarlene seems to be doing a lot of projects right now: he's filming another movie, and is an executive producer for a new live-action comedy series.

Here's some links: http://www.daily-times.com/farmington-news/ci_22909062/seth-macfarlanes-new-western-comedy-may-film-shiprock
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/seth-green-star-fox-seth-macfarlane-dads-ted-430816
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2013/04/prime-time-animation.html

Apparently most of what Seth MacFarlene does on Family Guy nowadays is just okaying the scripts and stuff. He probably could just leave the show altogether if any of his other projects became more successful/had the potential to be more successful than Family Guy in it's current state.

I feel that the entire Animation Domination lineup is pretty much done for anyway. The ratings for every show have been declining at a pitiful rate. Family Guy premieres a couple years ago used to get 8 million viewers. Now they are lucky to get 4 or 5 million. They've been trying to find ways to kill off American Dad since 2008 (for some reason), and Bob's Burgers is still around mainly because it didn't outright bomb and they needed the variety. If The Simpsons and Family Guy both go, no way would they keep around American Dad and Bob's Burgers for very long. If The Simpsons ends next year, and Family Guy follows it a year or so after, then the whole Animation Domination block would be dead by 2017.

Avaitor

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 22, 2013, 08:14:08 PM
Apparently most of what Seth MacFarlene does on Family Guy nowadays is just okaying the scripts and stuff. He probably could just leave the show altogether if any of his other projects became more successful/had the potential to be more successful than Family Guy in it's current state.
You think Seth could get away with leaving his voices on the show?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Family Guy always been more of an important deal on [adult swim] than in its Fox airings? Either way, I can see that the show isn't as popular as it used to be. A few years ago, I couldn't stop hearing most of my friends talk about it. Now, almost none of them watch it anymore.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on April 22, 2013, 08:17:34 PM
You think Seth could get away with leaving his voices on the show?

Oops.  :sweat: I meant that he could probably leave the show in terms of performing producer/director/writer kind of roles and focus on his other projects full time. Obviously he would still have to work on the show in his voice over roles, but that wouldn't likely take up all of his time.

Quote from: Avaitor on April 22, 2013, 08:17:34 PM
And correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Family Guy always been more of an important deal on [adult swim] than in its Fox airings? Either way, I can see that the show isn't as popular as it used to be. A few years ago, I couldn't stop hearing most of my friends talk about it. Now, almost none of them watch it anymore.

[adult swim] pretty much functions on Family Guy and other FOX show reruns, and no doubt FOX knows this and milks them for a lucrative broadcasting fee. New episodes of Family Guy definitely benefit [adult swim], but FOX might not care about that if they feel the cost of making new Family Guy episodes outweigh the benefits. If the ratings continue on their downward spiral, then I doubt that FOX will keep making new episodes for much longer.

The Shadow Gentleman

While its passing is sad, I'm glad Futurama is bowing out before it get worse, which is more than I can say for other Fox shows.

I wonder what Fox will do when they can no longer rely on a select few long runners

Daikun

It was a good run. I was fine with the revival, since it gave the writers some time off to recharge their batteries. Sure, it wasn't as strong as the original run, but I enjoyed it regardless. It didn't immediately go kerplunk like Family Guy's revival; they still had some quality episodes in there.

Thank you, CC, for reviving it for a few more enjoyable seasons and not letting it overstay its welcome like Fox would have. I'll miss it as it (hopefully) ends gracefully.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For what its worth, I actually liked season's 6 and 7 for the most part, but if this is indeed the end of the series (for real this time), I'm 100% fine with that. In fact, like most people, I think its better to let the series lay as it is, and then it can still retain its status as one of my favorite cartoons of all time, though that's still mostly thanks to the first 4 seasons. I have a bad feeling that if the series were allowed to continue, it would probably just drag itself through the mud and get painfully bad, eventually.

Kiddington

Cleveland, Futurama...

Uh, Family Guy? Anyone?  :humhumhum:

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Kiddington on April 23, 2013, 02:35:06 AM
Cleveland, Futurama...

In due time.

Daikun

Quote from: Kiddington on April 23, 2013, 02:35:06 AMCleveland, Futurama...

Although I would like to see it go as much as anyone else, it's not happening. It and The Simpsons are way too popular for Fox to just pull the plug on. Fox even renewed it this year.

Commode

Quote from: Peanutbutter on April 22, 2013, 11:46:11 AM
I hope Adult Swim picks them up like they were about too, because I think they can still have at least a couple more good seasons left.
Actually, I'm hearing that Fox is interested in taking it's shows off of Adult Swim once the contracts end so they can put the reruns on their new FXX channel(the FX cable channel is splitting into to two channels later this year, one for comedies, one for dramas), so I don't see it coming back to AS, if it comes back at all.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That'd probably be a nail in the coffin for AS. I'm pretty sure none of their other shows get even close to as high of the ratings that Family Guy gets on that block. I don't think that block itself is even that popular, anymore. Last time I checked, none of its shows got particularly impressive ratings (once again, with the exception being FG).