DC Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 08, 2014, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I liked the season 2 finale better, but felt that this one was a better overall season including the beginning and middle portions of it.

Spark Of Spirit

I'll be able to judge it better when I rewatch it again on DVD, but it was a good season overall. It felt like less of an ending and more of a next step sort of conclusion, which was different for a change.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'll watch the Arrow finale later, but I have liked the season on a whole. I don't agree with most of the criticisms, and have genuinely enjoyed the arc as a whole.

But are Iris and Eddie finally over? I sure hope so. It's been clear since episode one that they weren't going to last, and the sooner we get away from the triangle, the better.

And I think that the Supergirl trailer is cute! A little silly, but considering how drab DC's work has been getting in recent years (even the Flash has been getting more serious as the season goes along, but I've been happy with most of the results), I think this can be a nice change of pace. I'll give it a try this fall myself.

You don't even need to ask if I'll get to Legends of the Fall.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 14, 2015, 12:45:05 PM
Sorry for the triple post, but I found a promo image for Legends of Tomorrow:

Also a trailer has been shown off.

I'm personally excited for this. They cobbled together a good cast (Captain Cold is so good, I don't care what anyone says) and a good concept that really interests me. The villain is even Vandal Savage! My only disappointment is a distinct lack of Booster Gold. He would have made this perfect.

Edit: There's also a new Supergirl trailer!

Don't care what who says? The general consensus is that Cold is awesome.  :thumbup:

Spark Of Spirit

I dunno, I never hear anyone talk about him. But as much as I like Wells/Thawne, Cold was by far my favorite villain in the season. Cold and calculating, a real threat, and masterfully played by Wentworth Miller.

And now he's going to be the main character in a new show? Sold.

EDIT: Oh, and there's a new featurette in the link. Looks like they're going for a Daredevil style 13 episode season that's like one long movie. Should be interesting!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Has Captain Cold ever been a good guy in the comics?

I'm assuming that this is one of those cases where the adaptation just likes the actor and character so much that the writers just say "screw it, let's make him a series regular as a hero," which if that's the case, then I'm totally fine with it.

I'm assuming that Rip Hunter will be the leader, though, and that Atom will be his second in command.

Not quite sure how they're going to incorporate Firestorm into the show with only one half of him as a series regular, though, unless they'll only use him in episodes where Robbie Amell guest-stars (which kind of makes sense so that they can save some money on special effects).

On another note, while I really enjoyed Agent Carter and Daredevil, I think that it's safe to say that, IMO:

The CW's DC shows > Marvel's Live-Action shows (so far)

Spark Of Spirit

Well, the only good Marvel shows so far have been shorter season series. DC's have succeeded more on the general level.

And as far as I'm aware Captain Cold and Heatwave have never been good guys or even anti-heroes, so this is new ground for them both. Not to mention White Canary. I think this show is going to successfully push new layers onto their characters by pairing them up with unabashed good guys like Hawkgirl, Rip Hunter, and the Atom.

Nonetheless, I'm excited for it.

Spark Of Spirit

So what I'd like to see for Arrow season 4 (I'll do one for Flash next week):

Richard Dragon & the Question (Vic Sage) - The former trains the latter who would fit in perfectly in Arrow. Richard Dragon has already appeared in Green Arrow and even trained the Huntress. Both would fit in great in the Arrow universe. Note, I'm not referring to either reboot or alternate versions of either character, but the original version of each. The reboot versions do not compare to the originals.
Constantine Drakon - Like Brick, he would be a perfect fit for the show.
Connor Hawke - It's about time Oliver meets his son, no?
Onomatopoeia - Kevin Smith said he could never be done, but I think he could. The show has no shortage of insane villains. I know he was originally planned for the show until the producers saw what Smith said, but they should really consider trying it. I think it could be done.
The Outsiders War - It might just be my love of gang wars in superhero shows, martial arts, and weapon masters, but this story-line would be perfect for the show. While I don't know if it would have enough time to be set up for season 4, I think it could easily be built up to for season 5, or spill over both seasons. Because the show will get renewed to reach syndication and 100 episodes, I think they should go all out with it.
Slade - I'd personally like to see him as more of an anti-hero role again, but I doubt he'd have a major role so soon after season 2.
Diggle getting an alter-ego - I think he's earned one now.
More Brick - Seriously.
More Clock King - Same as above.
No Merlyn - I like the character, but I think he needs a break with the League of Assassins in general.
Another Flash crossover - We're getting this, but still. these are always so fun.
Oliver officially becoming the Green Arrow - The Flash took half a season to be the Flash. Four seasons is long enough for him to finally earn his original title.

Of course, maybe none of this happens and I'm pleasantly surprised regardless. The show certainly doesn't have to give me this for me to enjoy it. However, for a dream list of what I'd like to see, this is it.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 14, 2015, 03:01:48 PM

EDIT: Oh, and there's a new featurette in the link. Looks like they're going for a Daredevil style 13 episode season that's like one long movie. Should be interesting!

Really? Frickin' sweet!

Spark Of Spirit

Somehow I missed seeing this video before now.

Funny stuff.

Spark Of Spirit

Season 4 of Arrow will be "lighter", apparently.

Quote"It will take a lighter tone. That's pretty much the only thing I say without spoiling it," Guggenheim said. "We've been working for about a month now in the writers' room, talking about Season Four, and I think that one thing we all collectively understood was Season Three beginning with Sara's death, because it's the death of a major character on the show, it set a tone for the remainder of the season. And I'm not the least bit apologetic for that tone. I happen to like dark and I like the fact that Arrow is a pretty dark show particularly for a network show. That said, every year you want to mix things up and there was sort of a collective desire on all of our parts to try to inject a little bit more lightness into the show, a little bit more humor. It's not going to radically change. The show's still going to be the show but in terms of tone we're coming off a very very hard season for all of our characters. We wanted to try to mix it up a little bit."
Fine with me as long as it remains good.

Though with next season about H.I.V.E. and being that they're the ones who killed Diggle's brother, I'm not sure how much "lighter" you can go.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If by "lighter" they mean something more along the lines of The Flash (just in terms of tone) with a good mix of both serious and fun episodes, then I'd be OK with that.

Spark Of Spirit

You've GOT to be kidding me. How could you end it like that!?

Spoiler
Okay, some final questions.

1 - If Eobard is dead and was never born, then why aren't Barry's mom and Professor Wells alive again?
2 - Why was Jay Garrick's helmet there? Is he active in this universe?
3 - Why did Rip Hunter give him a time travel machine?
4 - Why did Barry's future self tell him not interfere? Didn't his future self die in that battle or not?
5 - So why didn't the timeline change if everything Eobard did can no longer happen?
6 - What exactly are Cisco's powers and why didn't they awaken sooner?
7 - How do the Legends of Tomorrow figure in to this?
8 - Really Ollie, you're riding off into the sunset while the world gets destroyed?
[close]

Well, that was a season finale, alright. Matches the season 1 final of Arrow in "WHY WOULD YOU END IT THERE?" rage, but nothing a good season 2 won't cure. All in all, this was one of the best first seasons in recent memory so I can't wait to see where they go next.

Things I'd like to see in season 2:

1 - Jay Garrick, the original Flash. It's been established that powers existed before the accelerator explosion, so learning the original is floating around is a good idea. That helmet in the season finale hopefully meant something since that scared Eobard pretty good.
2 - Wally West, the original Kid Flash. Like Roy in Arrow, he doesn't need to be a superhero in his first season, but he should be established at least as a kid.
3 - Mirror Master, The Top, and Abra Kadabra. They are the only main Silver Age Flash villains and members of the Rogues yet to show up.
4 - More Trickster. Come on, you know you want more Mark Hamill.
5 - I would like to see Tar Pit and Double Down, but I think their powers would have to be modified a bit to fit in live action. They're a bit out there even for this show. On the other hand, I would think Rose and Thorn will definitely be used in some way as will Alan Scott. That's a connection too valuable to throw away.
6 - Come on. They're going to do Flashpoint. I know it. You know it. But if they do it, PLEASE let it be good and not garbage. This is an odd thing I want to see, I know. I just don't want Time Travel to take over the whole show. If this has to happen, please make it good.
7 - The Elongated Man. An obvious choice for an ally, and someone who would help add to the cast dynamic.
8 - This is obscure, but the original version of the Rival centered on Jay Garrick would be interesting. It's the only Reverse Flash character left that wouldn't feel like a retread of Eobard.

But like last time, they can do whatever they want and I'll still watch. Season 1 proved that they actually know what they're doing.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 19, 2015, 08:33:34 PM
You've GOT to be kidding me. How could you end it like that!?

Spoiler
Okay, some final questions.

1 - If Eobard is dead and was never born, then why aren't Barry's mom and Professor Wells alive again?
2 - Why was Jay Garrick's helmet there? Is he active in this universe?
3 - Why did Rip Hunter give him a time travel machine?
4 - Why did Barry's future self tell him not interfere? Didn't his future self die in that battle or not?
5 - So why didn't the timeline change if everything Eobard did can no longer happen?
6 - What exactly are Cisco's powers and why didn't they awaken sooner?
7 - How do the Legends of Tomorrow figure in to this?
8 - Really Ollie, you're riding off into the sunset while the world gets destroyed?
[close]

Well, that was a season finale, alright. Matches the season 1 final of Arrow in "WHY WOULD YOU END IT THERE?" rage, but nothing a good season 2 won't cure. All in all, this was one of the best first seasons in recent memory so I can't wait to see where they go next.

Things I'd like to see in season 2:

1 - Jay Garrick, the original Flash. It's been established that powers existed before the accelerator explosion, so learning the original is floating around is a good idea. That helmet in the season finale hopefully meant something since that scared Eobard pretty good.
2 - Wally West, the original Kid Flash. Like Roy in Arrow, he doesn't need to be a superhero in his first season, but he should be established at least as a kid.
3 - Mirror Master, The Top, and Abra Kadabra. They are the only main Silver Age Flash villains and members of the Rogues yet to show up.
4 - More Trickster. Come on, you know you want more Mark Hamill.
5 - I would like to see Tar Pit and Double Down, but I think their powers would have to be modified a bit to fit in live action. They're a bit out there even for this show. On the other hand, I would think Rose and Thorn will definitely be used in some way as will Alan Scott. That's a connection too valuable to throw away.
6 - Come on. They're going to do Flashpoint. I know it. You know it. But if they do it, PLEASE let it be good and not garbage. This is an odd thing I want to see, I know. I just don't want Time Travel to take over the whole show. If this has to happen, please make it good.
7 - The Elongated Man. An obvious choice for an ally, and someone who would help add to the cast dynamic.
8 - This is obscure, but the original version of the Rival centered on Jay Garrick would be interesting. It's the only Reverse Flash character left that wouldn't feel like a retread of Eobard.

But like last time, they can do whatever they want and I'll still watch. Season 1 proved that they actually know what they're doing.

I share some of your thoughts. The finale had some parts in it that I felt were weak. Mostly everything that happened with Edward and Eobard as you said. I did like that last fight they had, I just wish that last-second crossover with Arrow would have started off this episode instead of getting shoe horned into the penultimate episode. I will say though, I'm glad they started foreshadowing Cisco becoming Vibe. Also, while I did like Eddie, I cheered when he died because it meant Joe was going to live. I was really scared for the last several episodes he was going to be killed off in the finale, but thankfully he wasn't. I don't know that Joe will be alive by whenever the series finale happens in the future though. I agree that this was a tremendous first season and eagerly await Season Two.

What I like to see that hasn't been mentioned is Cisco becoming Vibe (pretty sure that's happening at least by the end), Felicity dropping in again, Iris as a reporter and not just be Barry's girlfriend, Firestorm facing members of his Rogues Gallery, and more of the Atom. I really loved Brandon Routh playing him, about as good as Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold.

Spark Of Spirit

Variety has a feature on Greg Berlanti's success.

It's a success well earned.

QuoteHe wrote a script for a "Green Lantern" movie he'd hoped to direct back in 2010, but the studio ultimately went with another version, which disappointed at the box office.
Wow, the people in charge of DC's film division clearly aren't as knowledgeable as those in the TV one. Talk about a bad decision. I haven't seen his script, but it has to be better than what we got.