Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

If you want to listen to something super technical, then you might as well just listen to Classical and Jazz. At least they manage to form coherent sounds that more than 5 people can stomach.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

There will be a day when old people will tell their great grandchildren about the wonders of dubstep.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 05, 2012, 04:12:37 PM
There will be a day when old people will tell their great grandchildren about the wonders of dubstep.
:unimpressed:

Kiddington

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on May 08, 2012, 10:57:54 PMI don't think ANY rap artists should be in, or Madonna for that matter. This is the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, not the Popular Music HOF.
Didn't Michael Jackson make it onto the list?

Quote from: Foggle on November 11, 2011, 11:26:28 PM- Glee is an affront to the concept of music in general and should be cancelled post-haste.
I pray for very little but I really pray this opinion isn't that unpopular anymore.

That thing is literally Kidz Bop for tweens.

Quote from: Foggle on November 12, 2011, 10:20:07 AMDubstep and pop-punk are the worst genres of all time outside of crunkcore (but everyone with an IQ above 70 hates that last one).

I was referring to the more intense pop-punk crap (like Simple Plan). My fucking suite-mate listens to that shit all day and it physically hurts me because the dorm room walls are so thin.
Do you have an opinion on Bis? (One of my favorite groups of all-time.)

Quote from: Avaitor on November 23, 2011, 08:09:44 PMJefferson Airplane's "Somebody to Love">theirs

Hell, JA>Queen period.
I can get down with that.     ;D

Unpopular Opinions (ish) for me...

I can't call my hatred for Bob Dylan an opinion. I just don't like him. I wouldn't deny he's a musical genius (hell, just based on the passion everyone else has for his lyrics and... storytelling?) but I was never the kind of person who his music was geared toward. I'm a Tom Petty guy. Always have been.

Same goes for pre-Born in the USA Bruce. And I still feel guilty anytime "Born" comes up in my 80's playlists. I want to skip it. I guess I feel like, as a working American, I haven't suffered enough financial hardship. (To groove to his music. I definitely think everyone should want politicians' heads on a fucking plate.) Hilariously though, I also don't rock protest songs by Neil Young or Rolling Stones (I'm thinking of the especially anti-right wing ones). The only Bruce Springsteen song I love wholeheartedly is "Tunnel of Love."

"Barbie Girl" isn't a bad song. Ah, a real opinion! When it came out, most people just rolled their eyes. But in '97, bubblegum pop kinda didn't exist anymore in the U.S. It was only starting to make a comeback with Robyn, of course a Swedish import. What we had before that was techno-pop. La Bouche, The Real McCoy, Culture Beat, Crush, Captain Hollywood Project, Bizarre Inc, Ace of Base. And... I liked most of that stuff too. But, if it weren't for the music video, the song could be mistaken for being clever. And, as pure bubblegum pop, it was excellent.

Oh yeah, and: The Spice Girls were underrated in the 90's. EXTREMELY UNDERRATED. "Say You'll Be There" and "Too Much," especially, were absolute masterpieces.

The Beatles? I don't like most of their early music. Somewhere around Rubber Soul is where I believe they started getting really interesting. Even then, while I respect them a lot as a band, I have a relatively small list of their songs which I genuinely like a lot. I believe "It's Only Love," "If I Needed Someone," "Think for Yourself," "Glass Onion," and "Hello, Goodbye," top that list.

If I were tasked to come up with a list of favorite Rolling Stones songs, the list would be even smaller.

Kiss = crap. I don't like almost anything by Pink Floyd or Queen, but I legitimately respect those bands. Can't say I respect Kiss. At all. I can't believe they weren't laughed off the stage. By everyone who's ever attended a concert in their lives before. The same is basically true for AC/DC. Except for the laughing part. Kiss is just a joke. Their music is awful.

"Wonderwall" is incredible. However, the more Oasis I listen to, I get why people hate them. At least 3 of their biggest singles from the 90's are about 10 minutes in length and fast forwarding through them, looking for a reason why... can't find one. However, "Wonderwall" may be a fluke but it's one of the seminal songs of the decade. You can't have the 90's without "Wonderwall." It's embedded in the heart and soul of the decade. And whenever I listen to it, I immediately feel why.

The Black Eyed Peas are a little underrated. I'm the first one to admit they're still going and... they should have stopped many years ago. And their failure to has resulted in a festering that smells worse than methane now. But I think there's a shocking amount of good music in their 2003-2006 heyday. Especially "Like That," "Hey Mama," "The Boogie That Be," "Hands Up," "Let's Get Retarded," "Don't Phunk with My Heart," "Shut Up," and... yes, I even like "Pump It." Though, if anyone hates that song, I completely understand why. However... they made one masterpiece, and if you don't think this song is at least okay, I will lose all respect for you on the spot: "Third Eye." It's actually hidden on the end of track #13 on Elephunk. If you like to dance (REALLY dance), you can't deny this group knows how to make the body move. However, yeah, when we get to "Boom Boom Pow," it was clearly time for them to quit.

Lady Gaga... is quickly becoming dated. At least, most of her songs from The Fame. "Telephone" is still incredible and, musically, "Bad Romance," "Alejandro," and "Dance in the Dark" are still amazing. But, trying to listen to "Poker Face," "Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)," "Boys Boys Boys," or "The Fame" now is embarrassing. I expect "LoveGame," "Paparazzi," and "Just Dance" will get there eventually as well, but I think it's finally time to admit it: Lady Gaga is becoming unlistenable. (Astoundingly, I think Black Eyed Peas are aging better than her first album.)

I don't get all this Nirvana hate but I will admit I've never been crazy about "Smells Like Teen Spirit." However, "Come As You Are," "In Bloom," "Lithium," "Heart Shaped Box"... these are why I don't get the hate.

Same goes with Radiohead. After "Creep," and before I stopped paying attention to them (when the 90's ended), I've always thought they were a great band. "My Iron Lung," "Just," and anything from OK Computer = great music in a truly great (and underrated) decade.

I don't know anything about dubstep, but almost every track I've heard that people have called dubstep I've found to be wonderful.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Foggle

Heh, you've been digging.

Quote from: No-Personality on September 24, 2012, 09:20:33 AM
Do you have an opinion on Bis? (One of my favorite groups of all-time.)
Don't much care for the female vocals, but I do think this is pretty good! :thumbup:

Avaitor

Quote from: No-Personality on September 24, 2012, 09:20:33 AM
Quote from: Avaitor on May 08, 2012, 10:57:54 PMI don't think ANY rap artists should be in, or Madonna for that matter. This is the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, not the Popular Music HOF.
Didn't Michael Jackson make it onto the list?
Yep. I'm kind of not sure how I feel about him in the HOF either.

Quote from: No-Personality on September 24, 2012, 09:20:33 AMThe Beatles? I don't like most of their early music. Somewhere around Rubber Soul is where I believe they started getting really interesting.
Well that isn't too much of an unpopular opinion. Many people believe that the earlier Beatles material, at least the b-sides, aren't as interesting as their post-Rubber Soul work. And some stuff aside, can you really blame them?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

B-sides? Songs like "Help!," "I Want to Hold Your Hand," and "Twist and Shout" made them famous. Those were A-sides, right?

And I think Rubber Soul is their best album, so for me it's post-Help!
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Spark Of Spirit

I still think High & Dry is a great pop song and easily their best song but... I really can't get into anything else they've done. I've tried, too. They simply don't click with me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I prefer white people attempting to do reggae (like The Police and No Doubt) to the real thing.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on September 25, 2012, 12:52:49 AM
I prefer white people attempting to do reggae (like The Police and No Doubt) to the real thing.
I think One Step Beyond by Madness might be the best pop album to ever come out of the UK.  :hayguyz:

Also, I enjoy ska music more than reggae. Even Bob Marley did some ska.

Avaitor

Oh, and this may be an unpopular opinion on here, but I absolutely love "Livin' on a Prayer". It's the one time that Bon Jovi's bigger-than-life choruses really do something for me, and I think it has a very strong structure. Which is crazy, since I normally get sick of talkbox fast.

New blog!