Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Crowds-sourcing hurdles towards the end... only to get over the head with a recap episode... =/

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair, aside from Korra's parents, Unalaq only arrested the guys who tried to kidnap him.

And we haven't even heard the reason for how he can support his claim that Korra's dad conspired to have him assassinated, yet. I do agree that the water tribe soldiers are coming off just like the fire nation, though. However, it does seem intentional this time, probably to show that being a group of single-minded ass-holes is not just exclusive to any one nation (or tribe, in this case).

Honestly, I find the plot itself interesting enough, but just like season 1 the biggest problem with this show is Korra herself. I have no problem with her being a hot head, but the issue is that she's uncharacteristically stupid for someone who's supposed to be the Avatar, never learns from her mistakes, and can just come off as downright unlikable at times.

Spark Of Spirit

I do agree with the good doctor in that I'm not a fan of how they're handling the bad guys here. As soon as the spirit attacked in the first episode and Unalaq saved the day I immediately pegged him behind everything, because I've seen it happen many times before. But if they're planning on subverting it, they don't seem to be setting it up.

It's not like I expected Ozai or Amon to not be bad guys (because they obviously were), but they weren't quite such obvious cliches like Unalaq is. Ozai was a product of 100 years of mindless vitriol and Amon was an emotionally damaged kid who threw everything he knew away to destroy everything else. Unalaq is supposed to be ambiguous, but he's clearly not in any way barring some twist which will feel jarring if it happens at this rate.

I'm still giving it a chance, but I haven't been all too impressed so far. I think they can do better.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'm not sure if Greg would prefer my posting of this to doing it himself, but he has his own thoughts about LOK here.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Korra is a really frustrating character, I agree. The biggest problem of season 2 so far is how she has apparently learned absolutely nothing from the previous season's events. It's almost like they didn't matter.

I'm not going to quit on it, it's not like Avatar has ever really started a season off running, but I've tempered my expectations.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

I will say that I am enjoying the parts of the second season of The Legend of Korra that doesn't have Korra in it. Provided, we're only 3 episodes in, but  I am more entertained at seeing Aang's kids backstories than anything else right now. If that shit is true, it is kind of painting Aang in a different light due to his favoritism towards Tenzin. Though I do excuse that due to Tenzin being the only other Airbender than Aang and how he does have the burden of a culture on his shoulders.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, the show's gotten me far more invested in Aang's kids than the spirits. Mostly since Kya and Bumi have some good chemistry with Tenzin. Also, it's a bit like seeing the old Gaang back.

The Shadow Gentleman

I'm sticking around for Tenzin's family and the hope that Bolin develops into an actual character, but...yeah. Not much else.

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I agree with most of that review, though I also would have added my thoughts about Tenzin's part of the episode, in there. I liked that part. It was just two simple scenes, one with Tenzin finding his daughter and having a moment with her, and the other with both of them making up with their siblings. It's nothing groundbreaking, obviously, but it was executed well enough in a way that I could relate to, given that I'm a kid who has had my share of sibling troubles both when I was growing up and even now )(except my problems are about a thousand times worse than Tenzin's ;) ).

Anyways, good review. I also thought that, despite still having a fair amount of faults holding it back from being as great as it could've been, this episode was still a step up from last week. Like I continue to keep saying, most of this shows problems, for me, seem to come from the writers stubbornly refusing to let Korra grow up. I feel like they reset her character actually needs to learn something in order for us to sympathize with or even give a shit about her. In the first season her hot-headed nature was acceptable if only because we knew she was young and had much to learn. By this season she at least should have learned a little and improved somewhat from before, but she's still as knuckle-brained as ever. I would love if they do end up changing her by tying this in with how she had lost her bending abilities (except for Air) at the end of the first season, and making her realize that by getting them back right away it was robbing her of a life lesson that she desperately needed. They could make her realize this by finding some way to take her bending abilities away again. Sorry, but I just can't forgive the ending to season 1 for immediately killing what could have been a great vehicle for Korra's character development.

Dr. Insomniac

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 28, 2013, 02:29:38 PM
So we have a new guest review by someone named "Pascal". I'm sure this is something of merit.

10/10! WOULD READ AGAIN! 10/10! WOULD READ AGAIN

Seriously this review was a riot for me.

LumRanmaYasha

I agree with Daxdiv. Props to whoever wrote this!  :thumbup: