Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 09, 2013, 11:12:55 PM
I read it and liked it. Was impressed with some of what you delve into.

Thanks. It means a lot to hear you say that, since I'm a regular reader of your write-ups and sort of wanted to start doing some of my own because yours always got me interested (as well as other members on this board).

Of course I'm fully aware of the issues with my writing. Looking back on it, there were parts to these articles that I could cut, and other things I could have described with less wording, but as my first article in this series, I'm OK with it. Truthfully I was done with it a week ago but still kept it from being posted up in order to tweak it. Then I just said to hell with it and realized that the only way I'll ever improve my writing is to do more of it and learn from the issues I notice with each new article.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on December 09, 2013, 11:17:32 PMI am sloooowly working my way through HxH. It takes a lot for me to really get into a TV or comic series these days, unfortunately. :sweat:

I'm not going to lie. Hunter X Hunter is a slow-paced series. That's not so much in the sense that it drags things out, but more so that Togashi's writing can be rather dense at times, hence why I find his stuff to always be better on re-watches/re-reads than on the first time through (though YYH was always awesome, even as I first watched it on Toonami).

If you're watching the 1999 version, YNC doesn't start until around episode 45, I believe, so there's certainly a ways to go. Everything up to that point is more along the lines of typical shounen stories, but I think that material is executed well, especially with Furuhashi's artful touches in direction.

Foggle

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Really, I'm just bad at getting into long-running stuff, even if I absolutely love it. I don't think I have ADD or anything, but it feels like there's so much going on in my life that I don't have enough breathing room to really sit down and watch a show very often.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

No, I certainly know the feeling. During my downtime I can sometimes marathon through a long series, but most of the time I have way too much going on in my life to keep up with anything I wasn't already caught up with (I got into HXH back in high school).

Foggle

Here's my Madoka Rebellion review: http://animationrevelation.com/readables/?p=2282

It took a bit longer than expected because I put more work into it than I expected. :sweat: There are no spoilers for either the film or TV series in there, so feel free to read it without fear!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Great review! The movie was certainly really good.

To be honest, I do still prefer the TV anime's ending to the movie, whereas I personally wasn't quite as enthralled by the last 10 minutes of the film, but at the same time it was overall good stuff. And putting aside the exposition, it certainly was a well-written story. Of course, there was that one major plot twist with Homura which I kind of saw coming, but a couple of the other ones managed to hit me by surprise, without feeling like they came out of left field (since it felt like they were properly foreshadowed).

Overall, I definitely liked this movie better than EoE, with the latter movie being just a bit TOO artsy-fartsy in its second half for my liking.

Lord Dalek

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 12, 2013, 11:41:14 AM
Great review! The movie was certainly really good.
Thanks!

QuoteOverall, I definitely liked this movie better than EoE, with the latter movie being just a bit TOO artsy-fartsy in its second half for my liking.
I honestly feel like a pretentious art student for loving the second half of EoE, but I can't help it. :lol: It's just so impressive in terms of animation and overall composition.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, the animation is excellent in all of EoE. It's just that I have to flat out admit that the 2nd half doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I'm not horrible at analyzing symbolism and abstract story-telling and whatnot, but EoE proved to me that I'm also not very good at it, either. I was completely lost. With Madoka, I at least had some idea of what was going on, and while there are some things that I didn't quite understand, it feels like a movie that I could understand a little more about each time that I watch it.

Foggle

Rynnec

I've only seen the first episode of Beyond the Boundary (I hate how it shares the same initials for its japanese title as Kara no Kyoukai, btw), but what I saw wasn't very impressive outside of the animation. Not surprised it turned out to be typical Light Novel-fare. Mirai herself had little character beyond being a moeblob with an ill-defined "tragic" past, despite the fact that it makes virtually no sense for her to be so clumsy and inexperienced even in her supposed area of expertise.

It really is amazing that otherwise good characters like Ryuuko and Satsuki get all this controversy for being "sexist and misogynist", while you rather see anything on a similar scale for Mirai and her ilk.

Another excellent article by Marquis. :thumbup: It kind of makes me want to do a similar article for another action show that premiered this fall that can be compared to Kill la Kill in some aspects.

Lord Dalek

Foggle

Foggle

The Winter Anime 2014 Clusterfuck by Lord Dalek, Dr. Insomniac, The Juude, The Eclectic Dude, RacattackForce, Rynnec, and myself is up! http://animationrevelation.com/readables/?p=2376

Shows featured:
Buddy Complex
D-Frag!
Double Circle
Engaged to the Unidentified
Future Card Buddyfight
Go! Go! 575
Hozuki no Reitetsu
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Ren
Magical Warfare
Maken-Ki! Two