SMGO: How to uncancel TV shows.

Started by Daikun, May 02, 2013, 05:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Has anyone heard of a website called SMGO? A friend recommended to this me yesterday, and I think it's pretty damn cool.

It's a crowdfunding website for cancelled TV shows and a method of kissing those useless online petitions goodbye. After a show is suggested to them, they will put up a page where fans who really want it back can vote on it. Once a specific number of votes has been reached (it needs at least 100% by a specific period of time), it will then advance to the funding stage, where a series will have 3 months to be fully funded in order to get another season produced.

Yes, SMGO DOES talk to the networks before each request, so each show fully has the networks' approval!

It recently opened and is only in beta at the moment, so there's not a large selection. Here are the six shows currently up for grabs:

-Tron: Uprising Season 2 (needs 2500 votes)
-The River Season 2 (fully voted, needs funding)
-Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23 Season 3 (needs 5000 votes)
-Motorcity Season 2 (fully voted, needs funding)
-Smash Season 3 (needs 5000 votes)
-90210 Season 6 (needs 5000 votes)

If you want to add more suggestions, here's the form.

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

Tron: Uprising and Motorcity,  even though I'm not a huge fan of them, sure deserve a second chance.

Young Justice...well, maybe season three would redeem the weaker elements of the first two seasons, although I honestly think it had a good run and don't care about seeing new episodes particularly. But hey, the fans should go for it.

Now what about a Megas XLR campaign... :humhumhum:

gunswordfist

Ah, so it's like Kickstarter but with a voting phase that lets fans be able to choose what recently canceled shows they want want to start receiving? Color me interested. I hope Young Justice makes it through. Where was this when Samurai Jack was canceled?  :cry: Anyway, I'll see what I can vote for.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 09, 2013, 10:15:56 AMWhere was this when Samurai Jack was canceled?  :cry:

Was that show really "cancelled?" I was under the impression that Genndy and CN agreed to end it at 52 episodes.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Daikun on May 09, 2013, 08:56:11 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 09, 2013, 10:15:56 AMWhere was this when Samurai Jack was canceled?  :cry:

Was that show really "cancelled?" I was under the impression that Genndy and CN agreed to end it at 52 episodes.
We never found out how Jack killed Aku.

The Shadow Gentleman

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 09, 2013, 09:01:08 PMWe never found out how Jack killed Aku.

Here's the thing, though: When the show was originally greenlit, CN ordered 52 episodes, and they made 52 episodes. The show wasn't "cancelled"--it was completed.

They were planning on making a theatrical movie as its conclusion, but since The Powerpuff Girls Movie bombed in theaters, they had to scrap it.

Avaitor

A Kickstarter for the Samurai Jack movie would not be a bad idea. Gennedy still seems interested and he's working in animated features now, so there you go.

And even if Warner/CN are afraid of the movie not doing well in theaters, they should at least consider a DTV.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on May 10, 2013, 12:54:48 AMA Kickstarter for the Samurai Jack movie would not be a bad idea. Gennedy still seems interested and he's working in animated features now, so there you go.

And even if Warner/CN are afraid of the movie not doing well in theaters, they should at least consider a DTV.

What would they do for Mako, though?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Daikun on May 10, 2013, 03:03:34 AM
Quote from: Avaitor on May 10, 2013, 12:54:48 AMA Kickstarter for the Samurai Jack movie would not be a bad idea. Gennedy still seems interested and he's working in animated features now, so there you go.

Get the guy who played Iroh from Season 3 of Avatar to do it, or make him silent to enhance how final this showdown between Aku and Jack is.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 10, 2013, 03:11:57 AM

Get the guy who played Iroh from Season 3 of Avatar to do it, or make him silent to enhance how final this showdown between Aku and Jack is.
This, or use soundclips from Aku used in the show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on May 10, 2013, 10:11:31 AM

Yeah, because the audience totally won't realize that.

Foggle

Quote"I've been trying so hard every year, and the one amazing thing about Jack is that I did it in 2001, you know, and it still survived. There's something about it that's connected with people. And I want it, it's number 1 on my list, and now Bob Osher, the President (of Digital Production at Sony Picture Entertainment), is like 'Hey, let's talk about Jack. Let's see what we can do.'  And I go, 'You're going to do a 2D feature animated movie?' and he's like, 'Yeah. Maybe. Let's do some research and let's see.' So it's not dead for sure by any means, and it's still on the top of my list, and I'm trying as hard as I can."

He also added that the unfortunate passing of lead voice actor Mako (who played the shape-shifting master of darkness Aku) would certainly be an issue he'll have to resolve before moving forward.

QuoteAccording to longtime media executive Fred Seibert, former head of Hanna-Barbera and current head of Frederator films, Genndy Tartakovsky's popular animated show, Samurai Jack, is headed to the big screen with J.J. Abrams as a co-producer. The film, which is budgeted at $20 million, will combine  traditional 2D animation with stereoscopic 3D. It is being produced by Fredarator Films and Abrams' production company, Bad Robot Productions.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 10, 2013, 01:39:39 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on May 10, 2013, 10:11:31 AM

Yeah, because the audience totally won't realize that.
Meh, like you need Aku to say more than "foolish samurai" or "JACK, YOU WILL DIE". Mako pretty much said everything you need for him to say in the show.

New blog!