Better Call Saul

Started by GregX, February 08, 2015, 02:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregX

The critical reception has been good, the buzz surrounding this has been good. If this show meets my hopes halfway, it will be my new favorite show.

If they drop the ball, I fully expect to spend a few weeks in denial before I rant about it non-stop.

In Gillian, Gould, and Odenkirk I trust.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I doubt that it'll capture the spirit of what made Breaking Bad so amazing, I hardly expect an AOS level fuck-up. For one thing, the writers, directors, and actors for this show are actually good.

Avaitor

Everything I've read suggests that this won't be equal to Breaking Bad, but will still be more worth your time than Walking Dead or AOS. I'm down.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GregX

That was great, looking forward to the second episode, tomorrow night.

Avaitor

I accidentally spoiled myself and found out that Mike wasn't the only other BB character to appear in the episode.

I'll get to this tomorrow, probably before class, but hopefully in time for the next episode.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While not as tightly paced as Breaking Bad, I really enjoyed the premiere, overall. I knew that the comedy would be spot-on thanks to Odenkirk's excellent performance, but I was genuinely surprised to see how effective the drama was as well, from arguably the least dramatic character in Breaking Bad.

At any rate, I do like that the tone and style of this show is different enough to stand on its own.

Avaitor

I'm almost done now, and so far this has been a very good premiere. No, this isn't as strong as Breaking Bad, but to be fair, that was hardly hitting perfect homeruns in its beginning, itself. The tone is well-built and unique enough to make it stand on its own against BB, but it's not too far away to alienate fans, and the writing is certainly good enough to compensate.

Can't wait for part 2 tonight!

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Nice to hear from others here that this turned out well. I'll check out the premiere eps sometime later this week, hopefully before the next ep airs.

GregX

Two episodes down and I love it, maybe it's too soon to say, but this just might be my new favorite show (that's currently running).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This makes 3 shows from this year of TV so far which I think are great. The other two being Arrow and Agent Carter. It'll presumably be 4 once the new season of Game of Thrones rolls around.

GregX

Avaitor

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In the hands of lesser writers, the appearances of characters like Mike and Tuco would just be half-assed attempts at fan-service, like going: "Remember how great those guys were in Breaking Bad?" In this show, they are still as great as they ever were.

Peanutbutter

The first episode was great, but I personally enjoyed the second episode more. Which was mostly due to how well McGill and Tuco played off each other. I wonder if those skateboard brothers will come back and end up being Saul's own Jesse Pinkmans, or if that's the last of them for a while. Most characters never went to waste in Breaking Bad, so I suspect the same with this show. They'll be back at some point later on, I'm sure.

GregX

Okay, three episodes in... I'm not quite ready to call this my favorite "currently running" TV series, but I already want to. In another two or three weeks, yeah, if this keeps up.