Fate

Started by Lord Dalek, August 31, 2014, 08:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Dr. Insomniac

Lord Dalek

Lord Il

Quote from: Homura Akemi on September 06, 2014, 05:21:44 AM
I'm still going to force everyone to watch Unlimited Blade Works.
lol! It's a very rushed movie. This fact is made even worse if people don't have previous knowledge of the characters and events of Fate to have an understanding of what's going on.

Lord Dalek

Lord Il

Quote from: Homura Akemi on September 07, 2014, 09:59:21 AM
Quote from: Lord Il on September 06, 2014, 09:43:26 AM
Quote from: Homura Akemi on September 06, 2014, 05:21:44 AM
I'm still going to force everyone to watch Unlimited Blade Works.
lol! It's a very rushed movie. This fact is made even worse if people don't have previous knowledge of the characters and events of Fate to have an understanding of what's going on.

I forced Insomniac, Foggle and Dalek to watch it with me. Dalek wasn't there half the time, and us three were becoming braindead halfway through the movie. What an experience.
At least you guys tried! :il_hahaha:

Well.... perhaps the Unlimited Blade Works TV anime will be an improvement.

It can't be any worse. Maybe.

Lord Dalek

^Nasu exposition. We're doomed.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Homura Akemi on September 11, 2014, 04:07:18 AM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on September 07, 2014, 09:05:14 PM
^Nasu exposition. We're doomed.

At least the TV show will explain things unlike the film.
And explain.... and explain.... and explain.... and explain... and ex-SHOT.

goody2shoes

Zeroth episode today. Anyone hyped?

I'm sorta hyped :shakeshakeshake:

goody2shoes

Alright, my first impressions. Disclaimer, I finished the Fate route in the VN a couple days ago, so the prologue is old material to me. Also, I haven't watched F/Z.

1. The exposition. I guess it can't be helped because Fate's magic systems are very intricate. Nonetheless, it can feel a bit unnatural, especially when the characters talk to themselves. The way they talk and react to each other in general relies heavily on dialogue, even when I think some face/body language or camera shots could convey the thoughts/emotions better. Bottom line, they may have gone too far to remain faithful to the VN.
2. Story delivery compared to VN. I love that they skipped a lot of the fluff. They compressed a chapter that took me hours to get through to 45 minutes. This pacing makes me wonder if I really should read the rest of the VN before F/Z, or just stick to Ufotable's UBW and HF adaptations.
3. While I've always had mixed feelings on the character designs (especially with their new beaknoses, Rin :wth:), the animation is nothing to shake a stick at. Not always movie-budget smooth, but it shines when it matters. Again, more expressiveness would be nice, but the action scenes are great so far. Environments look beautiful, makes me wish there was less talking over them.
4. The music didn't leave an impression on me, but it did its job.

I think seeing Shirou's perspective may decide how good this adaptation will be, since that's what Deen failed to portray. Should be interesting to see how they work with/around his inner monologues.

Any impressions from Fate/stay night newbies?

Foggle

Waiting til tomorrow to watch the episode, but I agree that the sheer amount and verbosity of Fate's exposition is its biggest downfall. So many times, especially in the Fate route, it feels like the characters are talking at each other rather than to each other. Still, since this first episode is a 48 minute adaptation of a 3 hour prologue, even if it feels a bit overwrought, at least they've cleaned up the pacing a lot. The VN is soooo boring sometimes.

From the images I've seen, I think Rin looks better here than in the VN and especially the Deen anime, but sometimes her head looks like a balloon. I keep thinking she's going to inflate and float away into the night. Makes me laugh. :lol:

I've only heard one piece of BGM from the new anime, and I thought it was great. But if it's anything like the original VN or the F/Z anime, it'll all sound good, but fail to leave an impression on me.

I really hope ufotable is able to accurately portray Shirou's character; the whole story hinges on that.

LumRanmaYasha

Watched it, and I thought it was a strong first episode. I have no prior knowledge of F/SN, but this episode appealed to me as a fan of Fate/Zero, and I like Rin and Archer as characters. Overall, I'd say this was a good start and I look forward to seeing more.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really enjoyed the premiere, and I personally disagree about the music, as I really do enjoy the soundtrack so far (though it seems to be ripped straight out of F/Z).

I haven't read any of the VNs, and as that's not really my thing, I don't plan on it, so the anime is the only thing I have to go off of. I did really enjoy F/Z, exposition-heavy narrative aside, and I felt that this one was actually much better at reducing the exposition to a minimum, while also filling in the viewer on just enough so as to not leave them confused. As far as seasonal anime premieres go, this is easily the best one that I've seen so far, personally.

Anyways, my more detailed thoughts on the episode will be up whenever the Fall Seasonal Clusterfuck is posted up.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 04, 2014, 09:05:58 PMWaiting til tomorrow to watch the episode, but I agree that the sheer amount and verbosity of Fate's exposition is its biggest downfall. So many times, especially in the Fate route, it feels like the characters are talking at each other rather than to each other. Still, since this first episode is a 48 minute adaptation of a 3 hour prologue, even if it feels a bit overwrought, at least they've cleaned up the pacing a lot. The VN is soooo boring sometimes.

Well, at least to the anime's credit in particular, it's not nearly as bad as Hunter X Hunter gets with it's exposition in the Chimera Ant arc. I can't speak for the VN, but CX can attest to how bad the exposition-heavy dialogue can get with the narration and character monologues with HXH.

Foggle

I still need to finish watching HxH. I'm so slow! :cry:

Ufotable clearly knows what they're doing, so I'm sure the UBW anime's exposition will be no worse than Fate/Zero's. The original VN is something else, though. It has the most exposition I've ever seen in a fictional work barring Mahouka. It's downright unreadable at times.