Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 02, 2015, 02:47:12 PM
You mean DP^. I can see how you could make that mistake given DD's new costume.

It does look great! I hope it's good seeing as Deadpool is my favorite superhero ever.

Well, actually it was another case of fucking auto correct. I despise having to use a cell phone to type.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on July 02, 2015, 03:26:21 PM

"Deadpool is a hard R. It's graphic. Nothing is taboo. You either commit to a truly outrageous boundary-pushing kind of movie or you don't."
-Producer Simon Kinberg

:joy:
Can't wait!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 02, 2015, 02:34:20 PM
Deadpool is being produced by FOX, not Disney/Marvel Studios, so it's not part of the MCU (and unlike Sony, they have yet to make any sort of deal with Marvel). It is in the same Universe as the X-Men movies, though.

Oh. Then let me rephrase that and say I think it's the best-looking costume in any Marvel movie.  :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Now, if this movie could just somehow manage to find a way to top the "go fuck yourselves" cameo from First Class, it may in fact become the greatest cinematic masterpiece ever made.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I can't help but wonder how many talented writers/directors have turned down Marvel films due to not liking the "big picture" sort of way they do things. Ava DuVernay and Edgar Wright would have been amazing additions to their franchise.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The reason they walked away was because they wanted to do their own thing, but that would require the movies to be outside of the MCU. Since Marvel wants all of its movies to take place in the same fictional Universe, it means maintaining continuity and thus they can't have directors deviate too much from their overall vision. That's the double-edged sword of having a fictional Universe like that. On the one hand, it allows for cool crossovers and an extensive mythos. On the other hand, it just messes with the creative control of certain writers and directors.

At any rate, it's not like things always don't work out. They successfully got the guy who did the massively underrated but cult classic The Rocketeer to do a great superhero period piece with Captain America, and then they got the Russo Brothers who worked on the show Community to make an excellent sequel. And they also managed to get an oddball director like James Gunn to adapt an obscure comic book series and he was allowed to basically run wild with his creativity. Having Joss Whedon do the Avengers films was also a great choice.

And of course Marvel has shown some good talent in its TV division as well, this year. Agents of SHIELD was garbage (and thankfully is essentially non-canon, now), but Agent Carter and Daredevil were excellent, and showed lots of creative control in terms of the writing.

Anyways, my point is that creative differences are bound to happen from time to time, and given their overall good track record, I don't think that it's quite right to think that there is a problem with Marvel or the directors that turn them down whenever they don't see eye-to-eye, especially since that happens in film pretty much all of the time.

gunswordfist

Still sucks that Edgar Wright is not on the team, though. :imnothappy:

Dr. Insomniac

While it's sad, I'm not sure if the people who offered Duvernay the job really thought it through. Like someone who's good at directing historical dramas might not be as good at directing superhero action movies. It's like how Aronofsky's pitch for Batman got thrown out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 04, 2015, 06:31:09 AMWhile it's sad, I'm not sure if the people who offered Duvernay the job really thought it through. Like someone who's good at directing historical dramas might not be as good at directing superhero action movies. It's like how Aronofsky's pitch for Batman got thrown out.

This too.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

I hope we see Yellowjacket.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, early reception for Ant-Man is super polarizing. I expected it to be mediocre to above average reviews across the board, but I've seen quite a few reviewers either seem to despise it or love it. Of course, as always, I'm going to see the movie and formulate my own opinion on it, but while I would never discredit someone else's opinion based on what I haven't seen yet, it's worth noting that all of the negative reviews are extremely critical towards Marvel for Edgar Wright leaving the movie, whereas the positive ones seem to indicate that putting the behind-the-scenes drama aside, a lot of Wright's influence still remains in the movie and that it's one of Marvel's most entertaining films to date.

Anyways, given how people reacted to AAOU, I have a feeling that I'll probably enjoy this movie a bit more than the majority of people. But who really knows?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I watched the leaked Deadpool trailer from Comic-Con on YouTube. Low quality video footage aside, this movie looks fucking amazing. It'll be a day one viewing for me.

gunswordfist