Time Magazine's 25 Best Animated Films

Started by Lord Dalek, July 17, 2011, 03:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2079149_2079152,00.html - So Time Magazine recently did their list of the top 25 animated films, and while #1 isn't much of a surprise there are some notable additions and omissions (no Fantasia for one).

Avaitor

We can do better.

/no foreshadowing here. Seriously.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually think its a pretty good list, in all honesty. I don't agree with all of their choices but most of them make sense.

I haven't seen Tangled yet but I think it may be a bit too soon to rank something like that, but I'm not sure what other people who have seen it would think about its placement on the list.

Personally I would have put The Lion King at #10 in The Little Mermaid's place. Now, yeah, I know that you could argue that The Little Mermaid is a much more important film bring back popularity to Disney animated features, but I just felt that The Lion King was of much higher quality.

The absence of Fantasia from this list is pretty baffling. Its not necessarily my favorite animated film, but its easily one of the most important of all-time (the point that I would even argue that it should rank in a list of the greatest films of all-time, in general).

Alright, this may be surprising coming from me, but I think that South Park is ranked too high. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the movie, and anyone who knows me knows that its one of my top 20 favorite films ever, period. That said, I can acknowledge that while its a favorite of mine, that's on a more personal level. I think that when you look at it more objectively, while it could certainly secure a place in the top 25, it shouldn't be in the top 10. Its just not as objectively great as some of the other films that it beat out. That said I can't say that I'm upset to see it so high on the list because, as I said, I love the movie myself, so I won't complain about its high placement too much.

I would also argue that Up should be ahead of Wall-E, but I'm glad that both made the top 10, nonetheless.

Also, while I'm not surprised that it didn't make the list since the film is generally so overlooked for some reason, I'm very disappointed that once again The Hunchback of Notre Dame was completely ignored. Honestly, even on an objective level, its one of Disney's highest quality animated films. It really does deserve to be somewhere on a list like this.

Also, while putting it in the top 25 is a big stretch, I'd also like to see Felidae on a list of top animated films at some point. Its a really underrated film and I only found it to get better on repeated viewings.

Overall, though, its really not a bad list. It certainly has a lot more sensible choices than any of the lists that we've seen for animated series (except for our own, anyways ;) ).