Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Oh, in other Pixar news, I also finally got the first Toy story a few days ago, since Big Lots has the DVD/Blu combo pack for like $8 (the one shaped like a DVD cover, which is why I was on the fence on getting it, but decided "what the hell").

I'm finally building up my Pixar collection!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I tried watching Cars and it just really does nothing for me, the sequel probably won't be worth it since its not as good.

But yep, Up is still at the top of my list. One of my favorite movies.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

If it weren't for Toy Story, Up would be my favorite Pixar film. It's just a wonderful movie that captures that same simplistic creativity and magic that Pixar was celebrated for with Toy Story. I also like that the music is done by Michael Giacchino, who also did the music of Lost which has my favorite soundtrack of any TV show.

Spark Of Spirit

The Toy Story movies are really a great trilogy, but no matter how many times I see it I still think 3 is still the best one. It's one of those movies that never gets old to me just like my other favorite Pixar movies.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 08, 2013, 09:09:53 PM
The Toy Story movies are really a great trilogy, but no matter how many times I see it I still think 3 is still the best one. It's one of those movies that never gets old to me just like my other favorite Pixar movies.

I agree, but I think it's a hairline difference between all three.

Avaitor

Speaking of Toy Story, there's a scene of the original draft of the film which Katzenberg fought for that starred "jerk Woody", and yikes, it's hard to watch. What especially makes it tough is that even though it's a storyboarded sequence which consisted of mostly Pixar staff members voicing the characters, I'm almost positive that they got Tom Hanks to voice Woody for this bit anyway, so it definitely sounds like him insulting Slinky.

If you've heard about what direction Katzenberg wanted to take the film in, I guess you'd be thankful that it didn't happen. And even though Dreamworks films indeed do have more of an "edge" than Pixar's, if that scene is any indication of how the film would have turned out, it seems like he learned his lesson since then.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Toy Story would have been a bad movie if Woody was a jerk. The only reason the first half is watchable is because he's trying to be nice and failing without knowing that he's jealous.

You take that out and the movie would just be unpleasant.

Avaitor

Here's the storyboard scene in question. Watch how John cringes as he introduces it.

The thing is, some of the lines here are pretty good. But if they did end up coming out of Woody's mouth, this would have been a very different movie.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It's a Family Guy cutaway.

Wow.

That is not a movie I would have liked.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 09, 2013, 09:20:42 PM

Wow.

Holy shit, you're right. It does feel like something I would see on Family Guy.

Imagine what would have happened if Pixar decided to go with this version, would Pixar still be a thing?

Avaitor

Probably, but not in the same way if they went further into this path.

Or maybe Pixar would have continued to become tired of Kaztenberg's intervening and they'd find some kind of compromise or he'd leave after all. Or I'm not sure.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daxdiv on December 09, 2013, 09:49:32 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 09, 2013, 09:20:42 PM

Wow.

Holy shit, you're right. It does feel like something I would see on Family Guy.

Imagine what would have happened if Pixar decided to go with this version, would Pixar still be a thing?
Good question. I think when they settles on the final version of Toy Story, they had learned a lot about storytelling as a whole while the movie was going through its many phases, so there's a good chance that if they went with this Pixar would have kept going in this direction.

No Monsters Inc., no Incredibles, no Finding Nemo, no Up, no WALL*E, and most definitely no Toy Story 2 or 3 (or at least far different movies) and even A Bug's Life would have been incredibly different.

I do wonder if it would have been successful back in the mid-90s, though. Obnoxious animated movies didn't do all too well then.

Avaitor

So yeah, there won't be a Pixar movie this year, but we are getting another Toy Story special, this time a Christmas one, as well as a Monsters University short before the new Muppets movie. Like the Toy Story and Cars shorts and specials, a lot of the main cast will come back, including Billy Crystal and John Goodman.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Are Toy Story and Cars their biggest money makers?

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 18, 2014, 02:31:04 PM
Are Toy Story and Cars their biggest money makers?
Yeah. They're both still selling toys pretty much everywhere today, while you'd have to go to the parks or Disney Stores to find stuff for basically any of their other movies.

New blog!