What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, I also thought the dub for Level E was excellent. Vic Mignogna's performance as Prince Baka in particular was perfection, and made the show even better for me than in the episodes I watched subbed.

Dr. Insomniac

I remember hearing people being disgruntled that Mignogna was playing the Prince, thinking it was an odd choice. But when thinking about it, Vic Mignogna playing a blonde, flamboyant, egotist is rather his type, eh?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, let's see some of his most notable roles besides Prince Baka:

Edward Elric (FullMetal Alchemist/Brotherhood/Those shitty movies)- Blonde, flamboyant, egotistical teenager
Tamaki Suou (Ouran High School Host Club)- Blonde, flamboyant, egotistical rich-teenager
Kurz Weber (Full Metal Panic!/Fumoffu/TSR)- Blonde, flamboyant, egotistical mercenary who acts like a teenager

Yes.

Honestly, despite just being an experimental project on Togashi's part, I didn't initially give Level E enough credit. It's a legitimately entertaining sci-fi/comedy anthology, and while it's maybe not laugh-out-loud funny, it's one of the freshest and most appealing anime comedies that I've ever seen.

I also find it funny that in the preview for the dub, they advertised the show as being from the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho AND Hunter X Hunter, so they know that the latter is a popular enough title among anime fans if they even bothered mentioning that (still kind of niche, but a lot of fans have at least heard of the series). Wouldn't it be something if FUNi got their hands on it? Then they'd have all 3 of Togashi's main series, and a stellar dub would be almost guaranteed given the talent that they have on hand. Right now I'm hoping that the only reason it hasn't been licensed yet is because what Cartoon X said was true, about Madhouse somehow not wanting the series to be licensed overseas until it finishes airing its initial anime run. Perhaps it has something to do with CR's rights to stream the series, and I suppose if another company licensed it that might be seen as competition or something? I don't know if that actually applies, though, because I'm pretty sure other series have gotten licensed by FUNi while still being streamed in CR, but I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 24, 2013, 10:24:45 AM

I also find it funny that in the preview for the dub, they advertised the show as being from the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho AND Hunter X Hunter, so they know that the latter is a popular enough title among anime fans if they even bothered mentioning that (still kind of niche, but a lot of fans have at least heard of the series).

They aired the 1999 series on FUNimation channel back in 2009, so yeah, I think they know of it's popularity.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 24, 2013, 10:24:45 AM
Perhaps it has something to do with CR's rights to stream the series, and I suppose if another company licensed it that might be seen as competition or something? I don't know if that actually applies, though, because I'm pretty sure other series have gotten licensed by FUNi while still being streamed in CR, but I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head.

When FUNimation licensed Fairy Tail, Crunchyroll still simulcasted the new episodes...except they were off-limits to watch if you lived in North America, unless you got a premium membership or something. Because that's a precedent for what could happen if Hunter X Hunter was picked up by FUNi while still running,  I don't think Crunchyroll streaming it is the biggest issue for them to license it. I still think it has something to do with Madhouse not wanting to let the series be licensed before it's finished, or at least that's the only real reason I can think of as to why it hasn't been yet, since the show is pretty popular from what I can gather and you'd think they'd notice that. I really do hope that when/if it does get licensed FUNi gets it, for the same reason that it would be cool to have all three anime adaptions of Togashi's works be released by the same company, but also because I don't trust Viz or god-forbid Aniplex with giving it a good dub either.

The Shadow Gentleman

The ending to Gurren Lagann.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's what I recommend you try whenever you have time to getting around to some more anime on your backlog, in order of quality:

1. Summer Wars
2. Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
3. Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal (sub)
4. Hajime no Ippo
5. Hunter X Hunter (either series, sub only)
6. Level E (sub or dub, but I like the dub better so far)
7. Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu

#'s 1-3 are must-sees. Everything after that is kind of a stretch, but I felt like they are at least worth a try. Hajime no Ippo is long, so if you don't want to watch at least 75-episodes, you may want to pass that one (same with Hunter X Hunter, regardless of which version you might pick). Level E is only 13 episodes but it's certainly not for everyone (it's very much what I'd call an acquired taste). FMP Fumoffu is entertaining, but once again, it may not be everyone's brand o humor.

Also, I'm not sure if you've already watched Ouran yet, but if you haven't, then that's what I'd recommend. It's probably the best anime comedy that I've personally ever seen.

LumRanmaYasha

And here's some stuff I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't seen them yet.

1. Maison Ikkoku (It's by far Viz's best dub, imo, but you can't go wrong subbed either)
2. Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer (SUBBED. Do not watch UY, in any form, dubbed under ANY circumstances. Seriously)
3. The Slayers Franchise (or at least the original tv anime trilogy. Preferably dubbed for the tv series and subbed for the movies (though you'd be missing out on Kelly Manison's Naga...), but you can't go wrong either way.)
4. Martian Successor Nadesico (but stay the fuck away from the movie.)
5. Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
6. Samurai Flamenco
7. School Rumble
8. Azumanga Daioh
9. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (Dub, no question  ;))

#1-3 are must-sees, especially since all three are regarded as genuine anime classics. Aside from that, though, 1, 3, and 4 are anime I honestly think everyone here would like.

As for the rest, Magi is one of the best recent shonen anime I've seen in a good while, and really addictive once you hit the Balbadd arc in episode 7. Even Dalek, who hates most modern shonen series, loves this show, so if that doesn't pique your interest in checking it out, watch it anyway. You won't be dissapointed. As for Samurai Flamenco, that one is a little recent and I don't know where it's going, which is my I put it sixth, but it's definitely one of the best anime of the season so far and it's super sad that not a lot of people seem to be watching it, so do give it a try if you haven't already. School Rumble and Azumanga Daioh are two of the best anime comedies I've seen, and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is my favorite anime comedy ever (it's also my favorite anime, but you all know that), but of course comedy can be subjective, so these series may not be everybody's brand of humor.

Now for Beautiful Dreamer... Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer is probably the hardest sell for people here even though I put it #2. It's my favorite anime movie, no question, but to be honest you have to watch at least some of the show to REALLY appreciate it. It's definitely worth watching, since it's the movie that brought Mamoru Oishii to his early fame and UY fans aren't alone in loving it since it's one of the most critically acclaimed anime films based on a shonen manga, but it's probably best if you know how some of the nuances of Lum and Ataru's relationship, personally, so you might want to watch Inaba the Dream Maker (the third OVA) or the first movie to at least familiarize yourself quickly with the characters. Again though...it is a highly acclaimed anime film so I very well could call it a must-see, and it can work fine standalone. I just think some more knowledge about the characters and series enhances the experience, is all.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm on episode 10 of Magi. I don't find the Balbadd arc quite as addicting as I was promised, but it's still a fun shounen series, nonetheless.

The Shadow Gentleman

I need to catch up on Kill la Kill and Samurai Flamenco (and maybe the Big O) first, but thanks for the suggestions.  :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I started watching Space Brothers. It's definitely something that seems up my alley. I'll see how long it manages to hold my interest.

gunswordfist

Ah sweet, Hulu Plus has the new Guyver. Those ads though. :srs:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Finished re-watching Madoka in preparation for Rebellion on Sunday. It was pretty fantastic - a lot better than I remembered. Probably one of my favorites now. God, my taste has changed so much over the years...

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on December 04, 2013, 01:12:31 AM
Finished re-watching Madoka in preparation for Rebellion on Sunday. It was pretty fantastic - a lot better than I remembered. Probably one of my favorites now. God, my taste has changed so much over the years...

I'm also going to see Rebellion on sunday! I don't have time to re-watch the show before then, but I've seen it thrice, so I remember everything that happens in it.  :awesome:

Madoka was my #1 favorite anime for most of 2012, but after watching it three times it fell lower on the list. I still think it's an amazing show, though, and I'm excited to see Rebellion.

gunswordfist

Watched episode 107 of HXH. Whoa..that fight ended faster than I expected. Good to see Killua and Gon again. I really enjoyed how they show stayed interested with a few episodes without them though.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

This generation's End of Evangelion tickled my fancy.