The Simpsons

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 29, 2011, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Daikun on May 14, 2015, 12:56:12 PM
Well, at least we don't have to watch the full 22 minutes. ;D

You don't have to watch it at all. [adult swim] has already uploaded the couch gag on Youtube.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Spark Of Spirit

QuoteAssuming he does leave, how big of a loss is this for the show?
I'd be lying if I said it was no loss. He's talented and he just won an Emmy for The Simpsons. But I also have to say that I'd be lying if I said he was irreplaceable. I think that he could be replaced, and if need be, will have to be. We're not going to get rid of the characters.
If this was season 2 or 3, or even 8, I might be able to understand this point of view. But 26 seasons? At this point he IS irreplaceable.

Either get rid of the characters or end it. No one is going to accept anything else.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Never seen Rick and Morty, although I've been strongly advised to check it out by several parties, but that couch gag was pretty good.  I feel like I've gotten to the point where The Simpsons should just ditch the 22 minute show and do short animations like the couch gags, maybe a little longer in format.  Of course it would be similar to the Ullman shorts that they started out as, but this time around there is much more material.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Simpsons shorts would actually be a really good idea. Of course they would be hit or miss, but it would offer a lot variety from the main show.

Daikun

Quote from: Commode on May 15, 2015, 10:57:11 AMNever seen Rick and Morty, although I've been strongly advised to check it out by several parties, but that couch gag was pretty good.  I feel like I've gotten to the point where The Simpsons should just ditch the 22 minute show and do short animations like the couch gags, maybe a little longer in format.  Of course it would be similar to the Ullman shorts that they started out as, but this time around there is much more material.

Agreed. Or better yet, give Itchy & Scratchy their own show already. No matter how stale the show gets, those two are still funny.

Kiddington

You'd think at some point here, the quote unquote "greater good" in regards to the integrity of the series would actually mean something to these guys, but I guess not.

If they cared at all about keeping things fresh they'd simply use this a good excuse to write these characters out, and maybe reboot it in a sense. The show is already a cast of thousands, what harm could come from taking things in a different direction and adding a few new faces? Better that than outright recasting so many voices that everyone's become accustomed to for the past 25 years.

Honestly though, it's just too hard for me to even care at this point. It's gonna go to 30, and hell maybe even 40, so why even get upset? As long as people continue to watch (have ratings ever really taken a serious nosedive yet?), and more importantly continues to sell, it'll continue to plow along.

Spark Of Spirit

Plus, if this has proved anything, if anything happens to the main cast they'll just plow ahead without them and replace all their voices.

Which means it could really go on forever at this rate.

Kiddington

I feel like there'd have to be a point when fan backlash finally says enough is enough, but does anybody even truly care at this point?

Like I mean, it's been mediocre for so long. It's just really kinda "there"; people watch, people buy Duff shirts and what all, and life goes on. If a guy like Shearer (who could just as easily have signed back on and phone it in for another 4-5 years), making a point by not coming back doesn't change anything, then short of it pulling in a .5 in ratings and people suddenly not buying merchandise, what even would?

Avaitor

The crazy thing is that the Simpsons could actually outlast SNL. I've read that NBC would seriously consider ending that when Lorne dies.

Think about that. Isn't that crazy?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Well I mean they almost gave it up when Lorne briefly left in the 80s.

Also the Itchy and Scratchy shorts are fine, but I'm okay with Scratchy loosing his voice.  Maybe they can make them a bit more like the Tom and Jerry cartoons they were inspired by, was never too big of a fan when the two would sit there and try and carry on a conversation, with the obvious exception being the " Love and Share" Itchy and Scratchy cartoon.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, SNL already was about to have the plug pulled once before because of him leaving, so I could easily see them wrapping it up without him.

I wouldn't mind Itchy & Scratchy shorts as well, but I'd still want ones featuring as many characters as possible if they went that way. Chief Wiggum, for instance, is usually really funny in short spurts, I think he'd fit the format great.

Avaitor

Yeah, they do not want to repeat the early 80's again.

I wouldn't mind if the show kind of morphed into the 22 Short Films-inspired spin-off they considered at some point. Just find a way to keep the family involved for the majority of it. Shouldn't be too hard to keep up.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

At this point too maybe the voice actors' deaths might not be enough to end the show, but I think when Jim Brooks eventually goes then the staff won't have as much pull with Fox regarding the show.  The biggest reason the show has gone on as long as it has, the biggest reason the show succeeded for years without network interference, hell the reason the show ever made it onto Fox airwaves, is Brooks.  Fox is frankly intimidated by him, always has been, but once he's gone they might not see much reason to keep the show around.