Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Glad to have World Trigger back. The art definitely looked sharper than it did before it left. Eager to see where it goes.

Also really enjoying where MHA, KnY, and Promised Neverland are at. They're easily the best reads every week.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #50 (November 12th, 2018):
Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma (Cover, Lead Color Page)
1. My Hero Academia
2. One Piece
3. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
World Trigger
Hinomaru Sumo (Color Page)
4. Jujutsu Kaisen
5. Haikyu
I'm From Japan (Color Page, first of two chapters)
6. Act-Age
7. We Never Learn
8. Dr. Stone
9. Black Clover
I'm From Japan
Mochikomi no Susume by Tadatoshi Fujimaki (One shot, 5 pages)
10. The Promised Neverland
Hunter x Hunter
The Comiq
11. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
12. Alice & Taiyo
13. Seiji Tanaka (End)
Teenage Renaissance David

Looks like Seiji Tanaka finally kicked the bucket, so I expect the same will happen to Alice & Taiyo in the coming weeks.  It also looks like David and I'm From Japan swapped places again, so I guess Jump is still experimenting with that or it's just going to be a routine thing. 

Dr. Stone has the cover and Lead CP in the next issue as well as a "Special Announcement", while We Never Learn and Yuuna have color pages.  Tomohiro Yagi (Iron Knight, Red Sprite) will also have a new one-shot.

Spark Of Spirit

World Trigger will be leaving in a few weeks as well, so unless there's a lot of new series on the way I don't expect anything other than Alice & Taiyo getting cut.

Dr. Stone getting an anime is pretty expected. Other than that everything appears to be same as usual. Gonna be hard for a new series to make a mark now. Just about all the current series are doing really well.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #52 (November 19th, 2018):
Dr. Stone (Cover/LCP, anime announcement)
1. Jujutsu Kaisen
2. Black Clover
We Never Learn (CP)
3. Act-Age
4. My Hero Academia
Wasuremono Tantei (CP, one-shot)
Hunter x Hunter
6. Haikyu!!
The Comiq
7. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
Teenage Renaissance! David
8. The Promised Neverland
World Trigger
9. Hinomaru Sumo
10. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Souma
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs (CP)
11. Alice & Taiyo (END)
Jimoto ga Japan

Dr. Stone has been confirmed for an anime in Summer 2019.  Next issue, The Promised Neverland has the cover and lead CP, with Jujutsu Kaisen and Boruto getting color pages.  Next week will also be the final chapter of The Comiq.  My guess is that we'll probably be seeing a new serialization round very soon.

Spark Of Spirit

Yes, I agree. With two series ending, The Comiq finishing at one volume next chapter, and World Trigger switching magazines very soon, it looks like we might have one big round for the last one of the year. Should be interesting with what they do. I don't suppose HxH will be around much longer either. We might be looking at another big round like the one that gave us Dr. Stone, We Never Learn, and Robot x Laserbeam, on top of the other three canceled series. That would be wild.

And, yeah, Dr. Stone was obvious to have an anime next. It is the most popular series in the magazine to not have one yet. There's nothing else that can get one yet that doesn't already have one. I also don't think anything else is ready for an anime for at least another two years.

Pretty normal week otherwise.

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #52 (November 26th, 2018):
The Promised Neverland (Cover/LCP)
1. One Piece
2. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
Hunter x Hunter (Hiatus starting next issue)
3. Black Clover
Jujutsu Kaisen (CP)
The Comiq (END)
4. Act-Age
5. My Hero Academia
Boruto  (CP)
World Trigger (Moves to Jump SQ.)
I'm From Japan
6. We Never Learn
7. Dr. Stone
8. Haikyu!!
9. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
10. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
11. Hinomaru Sumo

Chainsaw Man (Cover/LCP, New Series by Fujimoto Tatsuki (Fire Punch))
Act-Age (CP)
Haikyuu!! (CP)
Dragonil (CP, one-shot by Genki Ono (Full Drive))

neO;lation (New Series by Mizuki Yoda (art) & Tomohide Hirao (story))

Gokutei Higuma (New Series by Natsuki Hokami)

Looks like we're going straight into Jump Starts with the first 2019 issue.  It'll be interesting to see how they perform.

Spark Of Spirit

Fire Punch was insane from what I saw so Chainsaw Man should be interesting. The Neo one is supposed to be some kind of sci-fi delinquent thing. Would be cool if they could pull it off. But I dunno. I'll have to see them first.

Funny that three things are stopping in this issue in different ways (Hiatus, moved magazine, natural ending) though with three new series I guess that reopens a lot of space. Especially since the last two series were shorter gag series. There hasn't been a brand new full fledged series in a while.

But that's quite a drop for Hinomaru. I don't think it's ever been that low before. Not sure if it means much since it has an anime right now, though.

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #1 (December 3rd. 2018):
Chainsaw-man (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
1. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
2. One Piece
Act-Age (CP)
3. Dr. Stone
4. The Promised Neverland
5. Jujutsu Kaisen
6. My Hero Academia
Draconir (CP, One Shot)
7. Black Clover
Haikyu!! (CP)
8. We Never Learn
9. Hinomaru Sumo
10. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
11. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
Jimoto ga Japan

Next week, neO;lation has the Cover and Lead CP, while Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man have color pages.  Chainsaw Man looks insane, so I'm definitely looking forward to reading it on Monday.

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #1 (December 10th. 2018):
ne0;lation (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
1. Dr. Stone
2. One Piece
Chainsaw-man (CP)
3. The Promised Neverland
4. My Hero Academia
Jujutsu Kaisen (CP)
Saotome Shimai wa Manga no Tame Nara!? (Special Chapter)
5. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. Black Clover
Chikyuu Bouei-gun Nirasawa Chuuton-chi (CP, One Shot)
I'm From Japan
7. We Never Learn
8. Haikyu!!
9. Act-Age
10. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
11. Hinomaru Sumo
12. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma

We Never Learn is getting a color page next week and there will be a special chapter of Nisekoi.

In other news, Viz will be completely re-hauling their Shonen Jump service on December 17th.
Simulpub chapters will now be available for free for 3 weeks, and the new subscription itself will give readers access to every digitally-available Shonen Jump title that Viz has.  Not gonna lie, I'm super hyped for this! :shakeshakeshake:

VLordGTZ

Chainsaw Man, ne0;lation, Gokutei Higuma, Demon Slayer, Haikyu, Act Age, AND Jujustu Kaisen are all going to be simulpublished on the new Shonen Jump service.  :shakeshakeshake:

VLordGTZ

The new episode of Viz's Shonen Jump podcast provided further details on how the new series will be added going forward.

• Jump Starts are over.  Apparently any new WSJ series that comes out in Japan will now be added to the English magazine (barring ecchi).
  • When the new SJ service starts on the 17th, the first 6 chapters and the most recent chapter of both Act-age and Jujutsu Kaisen will be available.  The gap will be gradually filled over time.
  • Haikyu and Demon Slayer will have all their chapters that have been released in volumes in English available as well as the most recent chapter.  This gap will also be slowly filled.

I still can believe that this is actually happening!  :joy:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This is a really awesome thing that Viz is doing, and I hope that it works out for them and that other companies follow suit. Imagine if we could get something similar for non-SJ manga as well (I'd certainly be willing to pay an additional fee for that, of course). Stuff like this is what makes their titles so accessible and spreads their popularity.

This will also allow me to get around to reading and re-reading a bunch of titles that have been on my backlog. And it's a perfect service for people who want to get into manga. This is easily some of the best news that I've heard all year.

I kind of wish that Marvel and DC would follow suit with something similar. I know that Marvel Unlimited has a big backlog available via subscription, but even that charges $10/month. But, more importantly, these publishers need to realize that nobody except for the most hardcore of hardcore fans want to drop $5+ a piece for each individual issue of a currently running series just to keep up with it. It's not like they have to release them for free, but bundling multiple titles into a single subscription makes way more sense to me.

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #3 (December 17, 2018):
Gokutei Higuma (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. Haikyu!!
Nisekoi (CP, Special Chapter)
3. Act-Age
4. Black Clover
ne0;lation (CP)
Chainsaw-man
5. My Hero Academia
We Never Learn (CP)
6. Kimetsu no Yaiba
7. Dr. Stone
8. Jujutsu Kaisen
9. Hinomaru Sumo
10. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
11. Yuuna of the Haunted Hot Springs
I'm From Japan

EDIT:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba will have the Cover and Lead CP in double issue #4/5, with Hinomaru Sumo, Boruto, and Gokutei Higuma having color pages. 

Avaitor

I'd really like it if the Jump archives could get access to some series that Viz hasn't released before, like a bunch of older series that may never otherwise get a chance, as well as to finish some they stopped, like Gintama. I'd at least like it if it gets Saint Seiya, which is out of print.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Avaitor on December 13, 2018, 05:35:50 PM
I'd really like it if the Jump archives could get access to some series that Viz hasn't released before, like a bunch of older series that may never otherwise get a chance, as well as to finish some they stopped, like Gintama. I'd at least like it if it gets Saint Seiya, which is out of print.

Viz still sells Saint Seiya digitally, actually, so it's very likely that it'll be in the Jump vault.