What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I'm not into much of a mood to marathon through any anime series (though I really should get to finishing HnI, Galaxy Express 999, and Utena sooner than later), so instead I decided to try and cover my bases and finish a bunch of anime films I still haven't gotten around to watching. Today I watched both Barefoot Gen and Grave of the Fireflies. Both were great movies that looked at the consequences of war in interesting ways, and offered unique perspectives on the plight of japanese citizens during the final days of WWII and after the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I particularly enjoyed Barefoot Gen, even if it was the least subtle of the two, and I hope to finally get around to reading the manga and watching the sequel film sooner or later.

gunswordfist

Watched episode 8 of Jojo last (Saturday) night.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Just finished episode 9 of Jojo. That had to be a Day Of The Dead nod in there. Anyway, whoa, didn't expect things to get that bad.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I have 2 episodes left until I'm caught up with Adventure Time, and I think after that, I'll finally give Fate/Zero a try.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

Today, I finished the "Clash of Red and Black" case of Detective Conan.  It was definitely my favorite case so far, as well as a great conclusion to the Kir arc.  Though, I am a bit sad that Eisuke only appears in 2 episodes after this point in the story.  :(  Hopefully the series continues to be entertaining for the remaining 200+ episodes I need to watch before I'm caught up.

LumRanmaYasha

I finally watched the Area 88 OVAs a few days ago. It was definitely a better adaption of the source material than the 2004 tv anime, though this version also didn't cover that much material, just around the first 30 or so chapters (from what I can tell) and invented it's own ending, which...was rather cliche, but appreciably open-ended and understandable in the context that Shin does not want to abandon Area 88 before he sees the job through, for the sake of the friends and comrades he made there. However, it's clear that there is no anime adaption of this series remotely as good as the manga, and that's a shame since I can't read more of the manga than I have unless I learn japanese or fan-translators pick it up for some reason and release new scans for it. Still, I enjoyed the OVAs for what they were.

Inkwolf

Whenever I loan out my anime DVDs, I get a terrible urge to watch whichever series is no longer on my shelf. :D

I loaned Fantastic Children to my brother, and got the library's copy to tide me over. (He probably will stop watching at the slow points in the story, anyway. XD) Marathoned the last 2/3rds of the show yesterday, and as usual, it refuses to let go of my head, and the theme music and OST keep jangling around in there. At least I think I will get away this time without having to do any more fan comics or sequel fanfics. ^^

I loaned him Moribito, too, so that will probably be the next series I watch.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on September 20, 2014, 06:53:27 PM
I finally watched the Area 88 OVAs a few days ago. It was definitely a better adaption of the source material than the 2004 tv anime, though this version also didn't cover that much material, just around the first 30 or so chapters (from what I can tell) and invented it's own ending, which...was rather cliche, but appreciably open-ended and understandable in the context that Shin does not want to abandon Area 88 before he sees the job through, for the sake of the friends and comrades he made there. However, it's clear that there is no anime adaption of this series remotely as good as the manga, and that's a shame since I can't read more of the manga than I have unless I learn japanese or fan-translators pick it up for some reason and release new scans for it. Still, I enjoyed the OVAs for what they were.
I like the OVA except the ending. That's one thing the series did better, in my opinion.

That said, it's the manga that is really its own thing. It really either needs a better translation or a better adaption.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I watched the first 2 episodes of Fate/Zero last night, or maybe 3, since the first episode is double-length. That last one went in a crazy dark direction, and I want more.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It sort of reminds me of Game of Thrones what with all of the noble families, magic, and betrayals going on. It's a really well-made series, though admittedly I found the first 6 or so episodes to be a bit too exposition-heavy, and I didn't really get hooked until the middle act where shit really started to go down. Anyways, my favorite Master and Servant duo is definitely Waver and Rider, who both bring a lot of much needed humor as well as heart to the series, which helps balance out how viciously dark some of the other main cast can get.

LumRanmaYasha

It's the day before it premieres, and there is still no announcement for legal streaming for The Seven Deadly Sins anime. Hmm. It surprises me Crunchyroll hasn't grabbed it, since it simulpubs the manga. Perhaps something will come up tomorrow. It's kinda weird that a popular battle-shonen title like it wouldn't be picked up by anyone, though.

Also waiting on legal streaming for the Parasyte anime. I'll be pissed if no one picks it up, but hopefully someone will.

Lord Dalek

Its an Aniplex show, expect Daisuki at least.

LumRanmaYasha

I keep forgetting Daisuki is still a thing.

LumRanmaYasha

So, the World Trigger anime is shit. No surprise. Any modern Toei show is pretty much dead on arrival. I'll still try and read more of the manga sometime, since the WMR guys keep praising it so highly every week and I want to be caught up with every major currently running Jump manga for novelty's sake, but like hell will I give yet another crappy shonen-shit anime any of my time.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You pretty much just summed up my Seasonal Clusterfuck review I'd it. ;)

The manga isn't anything great, but it's definitely far more enjoyable than this piece of shit from Toei.

Definitely just stick with that version whenever you get to it. It doesn't really start to get interesting until after the first 2 volumes though, IMO.