What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I wasn't using the VN as a defense as I've never even read it. I'm just saying that I don't agree with the sentiment that the writing or characters are as bad as you say.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, they don't sound that similar, but it looks like that's the audience that FUNi is trying to market it to....so maybe I'll bite. :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

I just saw episode 1. Very Nightow. In a good way.

Will be watching the rest.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: goody2shoes on April 06, 2015, 04:01:26 PM
Thing is, I read the Fate route. The VN is lousy, for sure, but that doesn't excuse a lazy by-the-books adaptation. Judging by the prologue I know that ufotable trimmed a lot of the flab in terms of dialogue, but there are larger problems than that. The story should probably have been restructured completely/recut/told a different way for the animated medium. It just doesn't flow well. :wth: Just my feeling.
Your opinion is certainly valid in viewing the series as its own entity, but the anime is honestly quite different from the VN's UBW route. There are a lot of changes/improvements made to the source material to add/abridge content and better accommodate the medium, while also turning it into a semi-sequel to Fate/Zero.

LumRanmaYasha

Looks like someone's finally uploaded Rin-ne subs. And just in time for my lunch break too!  :D

LumRanmaYasha

Ugh, those subs were awful. There were so many grammatical mistakes, spelling mistakes, poor timing, and several parts were left unsubbed. I know it was a first time attempt, but still, it should have been proofchecked a lot more. I suppose it's a serviceable alternative than nothing for now for Takahashi fans, but if you hadn't read the manga before I don't see how you could enjoy watching it. I hope better subs come out eventually.

gunswordfist

Got up to Episode 11 or 12 (past the Centerfold two-parter) of Stardust Crusaders. This is the kind of action/adventure show I've been looking for. ;D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Welp, Sound! Euphonium was exactly what I expected it would be. Which is to say it's pretty much K-ON 2.0. Who's willing to bet ANN people are going to praise it up the wazoo?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 07, 2015, 01:00:57 PM
Welp, Sound! Euphonium was exactly what I expected it would be. Which is to say it's pretty much K-ON 2.0. Who's willing to bet ANN people are going to praise it up the wazoo?
It's a safe bet. There are anime fans who simply love watching the same show over and over again with diminishing returns each time.

I was unaware Azumanga Daioh was that popular, yet here we are.

EDIT: You called it.

LumRanmaYasha

Crunchyroll has licensed Rin-ne. Which is great since the fansub quality was shit and all, but also means that the Clusterfuck entry I've just written for it now has to be almost entirely rewritten. God dammit.  :srs:

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 07, 2015, 01:17:05 PM
It's a safe bet. There are anime fans who simply love watching the same show over and over again with diminishing returns each time.

I was unaware Azumanga Daioh was that popular, yet here we are.

EDIT: You called it.

At least AD had amusing surrealistic humor and odd non-sequiturs that made it stand apart from other anime comedies. K-On! and it's ilk are just boring "cute girls doing cute things" that don't bother to have anything interesting much less funny happening in them most of the time since ultimately they're just banking on otaku to buy their merchandise because of how moe it is and shit.

Also, I'm amused that JO gave it a 3.5 even though much of her review was about her complaining about how boring she thought it was. These ANN scores are so arbitrary I don't know why they bother.

Spark Of Spirit

Zac didn't consider it anything special and gave it a 4/5, so who knows how these scores are supposed to work.

AD was the first of its kind and was therefore very original and fresh. The author has also proven himself as a man with talent. These lesser clones have nothing going for them at all.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be honest, I never really got the appeal of AD. I used to be in an anime club where people loved it, but I feel that there wasn't really anything to it other than trying to be cute and funny, but without much substance behind any if it, and somehow it spawned a ton of imitators.

Even with stuff like School Rumble and ABP, which I've made clear don't really do anything for me in terms of humor (ABP does at least have decent character development, to its credit), I could at least get that there was something there in terms if substance to appeal to others. With stuff like Fumoffu or Dr. Slump (manga), what those lack in extensive characterization they make up for with a good rapid-fire style of gags. Stuff like Level E (which I personally really like) and Space Dandy aren't laugh out loud funny, but explore really bizarre and weird concepts that can make them engaging viewings just in terms of how unique and well thought-out they are. Great Teacher Onizuka (not to mention its predecessor SJG) and Ouran High School Host Club are probably my favorite anime school comedies for combining great gags with good characterization. There's also stuff that I have yet to get to like Urusei Yatsura, which I know have more substantial things backing the comedy. AD didn't really have either substantial characters or clever humor backing it, IMO. To be fair, it's based on a series of comic strips, so it's not like those have the capacity to sustain a full show, but it still makes me wonder why the anime was such a huge hit with people in general (it even managed to somewhat transcend just hardcore otaku fandom during its peak years of popularity).

I'll give it credit that it at least seemed to be trying to be funny, even though I don't feel that it really was. Stuff like K-ON and most KyoAni shows besides their FMP stuff and Haruhi seem to have become popular on literally nothing else but the concept of being cute. They aren't even trying to be funny anymore, and yet they have an incredible amount of fans. I just....don't get it, and I don't think that I ever will.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 07, 2015, 02:07:18 PM
Crunchyroll has licensed Rin-ne. Which is great since the fansub quality was shit and all, but also means that the Clusterfuck entry I've just written for it now has to be almost entirely rewritten. God dammit.  :srs:
THANK YOU, CRUNCHY!!!  :worship: