What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That reminds me, I still need to finish Baccano!, among other things. I may just hold off on LotGH for a little longer so that I can finish that up and also get a start on watching Dr. Who.

Aurora

Well, I decided to rewatch Digimon Season 1 all over again for the hell of it. I haven't seen it in years. Let's see if its aged good or not.

gunswordfist

I watched the first 4 episodes of Big O yesterday. I've never seen all of the first episode or any other those 4 episodes. That explained a lot. Anyway, my library doesn't have the other 2 discs of season 1 so I believe that means that I'd miss a few episodes but they do have season 2 which makes no sense.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

On episode 77 of LOTGH now. It takes a lot to go through, but it's so engrossing.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Finished LOTGH the other night. What Insommy said.

Now I'm starting my rewatch of Higurashi. I forgot how slow the first episode is, but I know I'll be rewarded for my patience soon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Has anybody here seen Desert Punk? If so, I wanted to ask a few questions about it, especially regarding the ending. But I don't want to dedicate a thread to it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Went through a marathon of Lain yesterday. Is it weird that it made sense to me?

Dr. Insomniac

Watching Mawaru Penguindrum. Nothing makes sense, and I'm creeped out by half of the cast. Good.

Angus

It might make sense. I watched Lain about a month after Evangelion, so my brain was already trained with screwed up realities.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

talonmalon333

Only 15-20 episodes in, but I'm thinking Monster will easily make it into my top 5.

Lord Dalek

Juu and I just suffered through Happy Lesson. How this show got good reviews is anyone's guess.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Lord Dalek on September 22, 2011, 06:19:35 PM
Juu and I just suffered through Happy Lesson. How this show got good reviews is anyone's guess.
Is that the harem thing from a few years back? I have yet to get into a harem show that wasn't Tenchi.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Negima is the only Harem I'm willing to get into, and that's more of a Shounen disguised as a harem than a comedy harem.

Dr. Insomniac

So after going through Guilty Crown and remembering Code Geass, and finding out that both shows have the same writers, it gets weird how they seemed so focused on the cruelty of the Occupation of Japan. I know awful things were committed at that time, but honestly, that's like if a U.S. series started out with complaining about the stress of victory gardens, Hoovershacks, or war bonds without any sign of being a period piece.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually don't mind stories basing themselves off of real-life historical events of oppression, even if they set it in a time-period that's far off and completely different from when and where such acts may have really happened, but it actually needs talented writing, great directing, and overall brilliant execution to make it all work and for you as a viewer to actually feel that sort of connection. Maybe its just me but the reason that I feel series like Code Geass or other series of this type fail is because even if they have these sorts of set-ups or whatnot, they have really half-assed writing but get boosted along mainly by good production values (even if I personally feel that the character designs look like ass). To me, CG's writing is mediocre at best but its made out to be a lot bigger and more grandiose of a series than it really is, and apparently that's enough to get a lot of people to like it. :-\